WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By imaoldfart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #1

skchen83 .22
Reloading/Hand Loading During Pandemic

I keep seeing people hoarding and talking about hoarding during the current crisis, especially when I go into sporting goods places and seeing the ammo sold out. Are people going to go back to reloading?

I know that through a combination of the low price of factory ammo, and my busy schedule, I haven't done much loading since Christmas break. And from that last session, I still have around 500 rounds left.

Just wondering if folks are going to or have lean towards reloading again?
skchen83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .38
Don't know about reloading. I find it easier to just order a case of ammo every month, rotating the calibers.
Target99 likes this.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #3

skchen83 .22
Ordering Ammo

I think, I'd do that too if I wasn't working on a teachers salary with 2 teenagers in the house!

In all seriousness though, I like reloading/handloading. I find it kinda therapeutic and fun for those times when I have time, but can't get to the range for whatever reason!

Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM   #4

RogueTS1 .22
Buy factory ammo when it is inexpensive while stocking up on the reloading supplies for when it is not ----------> always having enough ammo when times get lean.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #5
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTS1 View Post
Buy factory ammo when it is inexpensive while stocking up on the reloading supplies for when it is not ----------> always having enough ammo when times get lean.
Reminds me of buying food. ALWAYS have a stock on hand, and as you use out of your stock, keep replenishing.

When the poop hits the rotary oscillator, you're fully stocked on ammo and food.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM   #6

skchen83 .22
Buy/Reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTS1 View Post

Exactly! I agree 100%. I tend to lean toward reloading/handloading to keep a stock of "range ammo" so that I don't feel as stressed about shooting up a few hundred rounds for practices. I also am in the camp that of those that do it because they enjoy it and find it relaxing. So the invested time isn't really seen as a "cost" per se.

On the flip side, I buy factory ammo whenever there's a substantial sale, like the "black Friday" to New Year time-frame when everyone seems to be running a sale.
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #7

surrealone .38
With a full time job, a massive home renovation (on a fixer-upper I bought and live in -- where I'm doing the bulk of the work, myself), elderly parents to assist and care for (why I moved to where I live), plus my shooting hobby, I have zero time for reloading. Thus, I buy cases of ammunition when it's cheap and tend to stock 3,000-5,000 rounds of those calibers I shoot the most, thereby allowing me to weather dry spells and keep right on shooting/practicing. (1000 rounds is, by the way, fine for the oddballs among what I shoot.)

Now, that said, I have many hundreds of hours as a volunteer RSO on a manned range and, aside from being able to shoot when the range is closed (so long as another RSO is with me), a key perk is the ability to pilfer the brass buckets for once-fired brass. I have tens of thousands of clean/tumbled, once-fired brass cases for .380acp, .38spl, .357sig, 9mm, .40s&w, .45acp, 5.56nato, and .308.

I considered selling them, but it seemed best to keep them for when I finally have time to reload (retirement). I haven't since I was a kid, but my plan is to invest in a progressive reloader, dies, powder, primers, bullets, etc. … and then reload like a banshee when I'm retired, thereby allowing me to shoot on the cheap, since one of the more expensive components is already stockpiled and growing. (I save my own once-fired brass, as well.)

I'm somewhat curious about casting bullets, as the projectiles are also among the more expensive components -- but I know little about DIY bullet casting. (I consider it something to research in the future.)
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member

Last edited by surrealone; Yesterday at 02:45 PM.
surrealone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #8

Target99 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
Don't know about reloading. I find it easier to just order a case of ammo every month, rotating the calibers.

The last time ammunition prices skyrocketed and availability dropped I said, "Never again." I dispensed with every gun that wasn't 5.56, 9mm, or .22. My only exception is a Ruger LCP .380

Now I look for bargains/sales on just these calibers. Happy Times!
Target99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:27 AM   #9

skchen83 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
With a full time job, a massive home renovation (on a fixer-upper I bought and live in -- where I'm doing the bulk of the work, myself), elderly parents to assist and care for (why I moved to where I live), plus my shooting hobby, I have zero time for reloading. Thus, I buy cases of ammunition when it's cheap and tend to stock 3,000-5,000 rounds of those calibers I shoot the most, thereby allowing me to weather dry spells and keep right on shooting/practicing. (1000 rounds is, by the way, fine for the oddballs among what I shoot.)

Now, that said, I have many hundreds of hours as a volunteer RSO on a manned range and, aside from being able to shoot when the range is closed (so long as another RSO is with me), a key perk is the ability to pilfer the brass buckets for once-fired brass. I have tens of thousands of clean/tumbled, once-fired brass cases for .380acp, .38spl, .357sig, 9mm, .40s&w, .45acp, 5.56nato, and .308.

I considered selling them, but it seemed best to keep them for when I finally have time to reload (retirement). I haven't since I was a kid, but my plan is to invest in a progressive reloader, dies, powder, primers, bullets, etc. and then reload like a banshee when I'm retired, thereby allowing me to shoot on the cheap, since one of the more expensive components is already stockpiled and growing. (I save my own once-fired brass, as well.)

I'm somewhat curious about casting bullets, as the projectiles are also among the more expensive components -- but I know little about DIY bullet casting. (I consider it something to research in the future.)

I'm in a similar situation. Although I wouldn't exactly call our house a "fixer-upper", we pretty routinely update/upgrade it doing projects like tiling, resodding, etc., plus having the 2 teenagers who keep getting more expensive on seemingly a daily basis! So reloading is definitely a help.

My strategy in the big picture is multi-headed: with buying factory ammo when there are sales to create a cushion against the return of the Obama years and reloading to create range ammo that I can train with. The last part of the strategy is to keep the number of calibers down and make them the most common/cheap ones to buy/load. Right now, I only have 22LR, 9mm, 5.56, 300AAC, and 12ga. I'm considering doing 6.5 Grendel to have a longer range caliber while still using my AR platform. I might consider 380acp if I ever get around to picking up a PPK. I've already accumulated quite a bit of range brass for that. I've also been slowly collecting lead and bullet casting hardware as well.

I believe that 380acp is one of those calibers that would be much cheaper to shoot if one reloads. Maybe somebody can weigh in on that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion