"Greyhound"...New WWII Movie - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #1

HHPIN .22
"Greyhound"...New WWII Movie

Trailer looks good, hopefully its not the letdown "Midway" was.

My father had to cross on a transport. He told me he was never as nervous in France as he was on that crossing.

HHPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #2

dleong Unproven
The early-2000s called. They want their CGI back.
dleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
Banned

waltherall .22
If Tom Hanks is on it then i will be all over it.
waltherall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2020, 01:00 AM   #4

Vandal320 .22
Looks interesting...
WALTHER PPQ M2 .45 ACP
WALTHER P99C 9MM
WALTHER PPS M1 9MM
WALTHER PPS M2 LE 9MM
WALTHER PPX 9MM
Vandal320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #5
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
The trailer brought to mind a magnificent novel that I read years ago --more than once--titled The Good Shepherd, (1955) by C.S. Forester. A very prolific British author, he also wrote The African Queen, and was the creator of a series of "Horatio Hornblower" novels of the Royal Navy in the age of sail.

Anyone who's ever spent time at sea, and experienced a bit of its loneliness and terror, will appreciate Forester's memorable recreation of what convoy duty in WWII must have been like.

When I looked up the book just now (to make sure I had Forester's name spelled right) what did I find? That the rights were acquired by Tom Hanks to make the film Greyhound.

Given its origins and Hanks's talent, the movie is bound to be good, but to get its full flavor, read the book first.

M
1917-1911M and Jimbo80 like this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:31 PM   #6

Jimbo80 .22
My Dad was a WWII Merchant Mariner. It was one of the most dangerous jobs of the war. Sad thing was they were not considered veterans and were ineligible for benefits until 1988. Merchant service was known as "The Forgotten Service".

Last edited by Jimbo80; 03-10-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Jimbo80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:59 PM   #7

HHPIN .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo80 View Post
My Dad was a WWII Merchant Mariner. It was one of the most dangerous jobs of the war. Sad thing was they were not considered veterans and were ineligible for benefits until 1988. Merchant service was known as "The Forgotten Service".
My Dad did not enjoy crossing the Atlantic. In addition to the constant threat of U-Boats, he was seasick for the first part of the trip. He apparently settled down and indulged in poker for the rest of the voyage. When he finally got to England, he sent most of his winnings home to my mother in a small town in the Blue Ridge Mountains. She always said she had never seen that much cash in her life.
HHPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #8

Paladin1873 .22
I watched the scenes and rolled my eyes. More World of Warships nonsense, crappy CGI, and a ridiculous duel between the good American skipper and the evil Nazi skipper (who apparently somehow is able to talk to the American sailors over the destroyer's intercom). It was the British who bore the brunt of the fighting in the North Atlantic from 1939 - 1943. Admiral King largely ignored the British Admiralty's advice (he hated the English) until our losses became severe. If you want to see some really good movies about U-boats vs destroyers or U-boats vs merchantmen, watch The Enemy Below (1957), Western Approaches (1944), Das Boot (1981), and San Demetrio London (1943). The last movie is actually a true story. If Hollywood had any interest in making a movie about a real hero in the Battle of the Atlantic, they could do no better than Captain Frederic John "Johnnie" Walker, of the Royal Navy. He remains the greatest sub killer who ever lived and his story would make a monumental movie, or better yet a great miniseries. For sheer guts and determination, make a movie about the fight between the Liberty ship SS Stephen Hopkins and the heavily gunned German commerce raider Stier, or the heroic delaying action by the British armed merchant cruiser HMS Jervis Bay, which saved her convoy HX84 from destruction by the German cruiser Admiral Scheer (recounted in the movie San Demetrio London). If you prefer WWI action, imagine what a great movie the adventures of the German raider SMS Wolf would make, or the adventures of the crew of the German light cruiser SMS Emden.
Paladin1873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #9

XRing .22
Admiral King pushed for the invasion battle for Guadalcanal. Aug 42 to Feb 43. Before that he was for the other American Navy action in the Pacific.

King was promoted to the US Navy Commander in Chief of the fleet Dec 41 and CNO in 42.
King was Admiral Nimitz boss.

That Australians were pleased that King pushed the Pacific Theater. Especially Guadalcanal.

Last edited by XRing; 03-11-2020 at 07:42 PM.
XRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:16 PM   #10

Paladin1873 .22
I don't dispute King was pushing for an American Pacific strategy for the Navy. In fact, he wanted the Brits to stay out. He was overridden later by FDR. The Aussies liked him because of his strong counteroffensive policy in the Pacific. After WWII, Australia developed a much closer relationship with the USA and distanced themselves from the UK. None of this pertains to King's policies in the first 12-18 months of the US Navy's involvement in convoy and antisubmarine warfare in the Atlantic and along the eastern seaboard of the USA.
Paladin1873 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion