Best Way to Sell on-line - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #1

Location: west coast, unfortunately, but my home is worth a fortune!
rossmon .22
Best Way to Sell on-line

Hi,

If you have some guns to sell and don't have an FFL, what are the options to consider and the best web sites to deal with for selling legally.
I guess this would include the overall ease like creating the ad, communications with potential buyers, working with an FFL holder and commissions on the sale.
I buy and sell very hi end astronomical gear and one important aspect with that are ratings for buyers and sellers so you have a better idea of who you are dealing with but perhaps that is not an issue where an ffl holder acts as somewhat of a middleman.
This doesn't necessarily involve Walther weapons as the one I still own, a nice german made tph in .22 is definitely not for sale!

Thanks

Ross
rossmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-12-2020, 06:27 PM   #2

Jimbo80 .22
The easiest way to sell is to sell them to an FFL. It also going to net the lowest price. Second easiest is to consign them at an FFL. Not all shops do consignments and you may wait a good bit of time to get your cash.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
Supporting Member

1942bull .22
I have sold three guns online. I only do local sales for cash. I advertise on
armslist.com where there are scammers so a local face-to-face sale eliminates the scammers. I thought about selling through Gunbroker.com, but I just o not want the hassle of shipping due to the restrictions on sending guns. The three guns I sold on arms list sold within a week. They were an M&P 22 compact, an S&W SD9VE, and Remington RM380. I met the buyers at a mutually convenient FFL and got the cash in hand and he owned the gun once he passed NICS.

"Engage your brain before you engage your weapon."
General James Mattis

Last edited by 1942bull; 02-12-2020 at 06:57 PM.
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #4

surrealone .38
Armslist, face-to-face, cash-only in a public place with cameras (police department facility parking lots are good ones -- tends to ward off miscreants) … making sure there is a bill of sale where both parties provide complete data (including DL number/state, CCW number/state, address, phone num, etc.) and sign … with all local laws followed (meaning use a FFL if your state requires it; require a permit-to-purchase if your state requires it; require a CCW in lieu of the former if your state allows it, etc.). I recommend the bill of sale be executed in duplicate so each party gets/has one that is complete/legit. Bring a witness - preferably someone who has a CCW and is carrying; the witness can remain in the vehicle so long as s/he can witness the transaction. The purpose of the witness is to be able to validate the exchange (since you lack a notary public) … as well as cover your ass in the event of something untoward.

Gunbroker shipped via a FFL -- U.S. money order only since Paypal cannot be legitimately used for gun purchases (meaning it can easily be reversed).
GeoNole94 likes this.
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member

Last edited by surrealone; 02-13-2020 at 09:33 AM.
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:31 AM   #5

WaterDR Unproven
I do this all the time. First thing, is to assess two things. How much the gun is REASONABLY worth. Not what you want for it. Second, how fast do you want the money?

A dealer will give you money on the spot. Generally give you 50 to 60% of the real value.

If you consign, you will get 80% of the real value but you don’t get paid until it’s sold. Dealers often get 10% more on a gun then an online retailer. So consider that. Many customers don’t know how to buy online. They want to touch and feel the gun in the flesh. And don’t want to pay shipping. On top of that, my dealer gives a $45 range token for every gun someone buys....new or used.

I consign! But I usually sell to a friend or a contact that I know...then it goes on consignment. I sold 15 guns in the last few months. Have been on a buying spree since.
Jimbo80 likes this.
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #6

Location: west coast, unfortunately, but my home is worth a fortune!
rossmon .22
Thanks for the feed back! Seems like the armslist or consignment could be the way to go for me. All my firearms were purchased a long time ago and at some kind of wholesale when i had my FFL. Because of that and the desireable items i bought and saved, i’m not worried about being able to offer a good deal and still make some profit too. It’s also possible a dealer will pay me a good price for what i have but I definitely won’t count on it!
When I realized that my millennial kids were too dumb to want to inherit and keep some or all of my modest collection, i thought i better start turning them into money i can spend now, while still able to enjoy it!
rossmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmon View Post
When I realized that my millennial kids were too dumb to want to inherit and keep some or all of my modest collection, i thought i better start turning them into money i can spend now, while still able to enjoy it!
I think this is the 'norm' now-days.

Just to add some additional food for thought. I've bought and sold quite a few firearms using GunBroker.com. Easy, Peazy……….. List your item, let the bidding begin. As for payment, I always request a USPS money order. Upon receipt of funds, I take the firearm to the pawn shop (they have an FFL and only charge $10 for transfers). I pay em' the 10 plus USPS shipping, and its off to the recipients FFL.
sunny08 likes this.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #8

Jimbo80 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
I think this is the 'norm' now-days.
It always amazes me how little regard most of the young gun lovers have for the classics.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:50 PM   #9

surrealone .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo80 View Post
It always amazes me how little regard most of the young gun lovers have for the classics.
Then they aren't actually gun lovers (as far as I'm concerned, anyway).
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:09 AM   #10

WaterDR Unproven
There are two things that I think are true about young people and guns:

1 - They generally don’t like them as they are told how evil they are.

2 - If they like them they only care about ones that they have used in video games
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion