Trip to the ball game.... - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #1

1917-1911M .38
Trip to the ball game....

Hitched up my pants and my cancer and headed over to Minute Maid Park last night. What a crowd, the place was packed. Had never been there before, the stadium is downtown. Didn't have a ticket, didn't have a parking space.....so, after circling through the place one block out, two, three, four...etc. just to look the area over....I told myself I'm not driving down here. Got back, looked at the official ticket office, two handicapped spaces left. What? Looked at some other sellers, there are plenty....scalpers I should say? Couldn't figure them out or how to get the tickets. I was born in a small town, still live in a small town.

Got on Facebook and asked friends how to do this.....you load up an app and get the ticket on your phone. Might be old hat to you peeps, but new to me. The recommended Stub Hub. Looking at a large seating map on the big screen told me where I wanted to be....off to the side of first base. Yepper, they had tickets there. Installed the app, ordered one and two minutes later there it was in my phone. One of those square scan bar code things. Checked Uber because I wasn't going to fight that traffic....$10 and the driver got me there in 10 min. $12 after the game, no problems and no $60 parking area ticket. Passed through the scanner, there was a guy at the door with a small handheld scanner, scanned the image on my phone which immediately spit out a ticket, seat number and all. I was making good progress toward my seat until I passed the BlueBell Homemade Vanilla stand.....my feet wouldn't move until I had a bucket full.

Long game....tied at two until the bottom of the 11th, started at 7:08, now past midnight....then a homer for Houston. So the NNY and Astros head for NY with one win each. Sure missed seeing Mantle, Maris and Yogi. Had never watched a game with a roof before and it interfered with about three pop ups although it was way up there. Beats sitting in the hotel room. 1917
olsoul, sunny08 and Jan whitaker like this.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #2

PPS1980 .22
Glad you got out to a game. Parking is the bear that stops me most of the time, plus their anti-carry rules.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #3

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Nothing like a baseball game to turn a ho-hum week around. Good for you to get out to the Park.

I enjoy catching Rangers games (even if they don't win).

The Cowboys or Mavs could play in my backyard and I wouldn't watch.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:46 AM   #4

1917-1911M .38
Last Saturday's final playouff game was exciting, filled with great plays and a whole lot of fun. The Astros deserved to win. I went to the first game of the World Series tonight, $408 plus Uber....It was a good game but did not have the same excitement as last Saturday's. Washington won the first round...5 to 4. Houston let one inning get away from them. Washington came to play... first inning, runner stealing second on the first pitch to the second batter. They looked good... Houston better tighten up. I took a lot of pictures as usual. 1917
Old 10-23-2019, 01:50 AM   #5

1917-1911M .38
I haven't watched much baseball in past years like I once did. Sportsmanship still reigns in baseball. No smart alex players, no taunting, no acting like a clown. I enjoyed that. I'd tell some of these singers of the National Anthem to speed it up though. The last two have made the stanzas last twice as long as they should. I don't think it sounds good if you drag it out. Not what I'm used to anyway. 1917
Old 10-23-2019, 02:09 AM   #6

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
All hail baseball!

And though I'm a die hard Royals fan....go Houston!
Old 10-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #7

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
I'm hoping Houston wins the Series.

To be at home, start Cole on the mound, and LOSE???

I see the Nats taking it in 5 or 6 games.

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 10-24-2019 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
DeutschlandUberAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #8

1917-1911M .38
Like I said...Houston better tighten up and get back in the game. This is looking good for Washington. 1917
Old 10-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #9

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
With the 2 losses in Houston, and not having the DH rule to their advantage for the Washington games, I'm thinking this WS just may be a sweep.

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 10-24-2019 at 11:23 AM.
DeutschlandUberAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #10

MarkS20 .22
Let's go Mets!

Ya gotta believe.

-- Mark
MarkS20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion