Colt caves in - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

sunny08 .22
Colt caves in

So colt announced they will no longer make and sell AR-15's to the general public. Let's see who else follows. Hmmm.
sunny08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-20-2019, 06:06 PM   #2

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
I'm not bothered by Colt keeping all its eggs in the "government contract" basket.

They've been surpassed by almost every other AR manufacturer (in regard to materials/innovations/finishes.....).

Colt is that much closer to closing down operations when the government loses interest in their products. F' em!

My money goes to companies like Hornady/Barrett/Patriot Ordnance Factory. These operations stop doing business with "gun rights" limiting States/Counties/Municipalities.
03hemi likes this.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #3

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
Colt can kiss my ass. Didn't they go into receivership awhile back, or something along those lines?

As mentioned...eff 'em. They're guns are subpar, compared to other brands, and more expensive.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
It was a business decision, not a political or anti-gun one. Colt know that the AR market is saturated, and they could no longer effectively compete in that area of the civilian market. Nothing more nefarious than that, despite how it's being portrayed.

The writing has been on the wall on this since the bankruptcy announcement, and when they started churning out cheaper knock-offs of their LE line.
colt, Boogs, GeoNole94 and 5 others like this.

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook

Last edited by UniversalExports; 09-20-2019 at 08:18 PM.
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #5
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
Colt will stop making AR-15s for civilian sale, says there's already plenty on market
  • "Colt will suspend production of AR-15 rifles for civilian sales, saying there's an "adequate supply" of the high-powered weapons already in the market, the famed gun manufacturer said Thursday."
  • "The gun-maker, based in West Hartford, Connecticut, said its decision is purely market-driven and made no mention of any public pressure over the AR-15's use in several mass shootings in the United States."
  • ""The fact of the matter is that over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity," Colt President and CEO Dennis Veilleux said in a statement."

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #6

Jimbo80 .22
There is no doubt the market is oversaturated.
Andyd_is_PzGren and Zebra like this.
Jimbo80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #7

surrealone .38
Colt's been failing to compete well in the space … so it pulled out … and it did so in a way that makes it look to the uninformed like it was done for the public good. Nice PR move on Colt's part (as far as Colt is concerned in the eyes of anti-gunners), but it's a craptastic PR move for the rest of the AR market that Colt just abandoned -- mostly because of how it looks to the uninformed.

I'm unsurprised, really. I've wanted a Colt AR for years, but the price points on them have always been such that I felt like I would have been buying nothing more than a name. Key to this is that for the same cost I could build precisely what I want (internals and externals) without skimping … and get a superior trigger in the process. Similarly, I could spend the same on another high-end brand and get less gun than if I'd built … but more gun (in terms of features/functionality) than what a Colt AR came with.

That's why I don't own a Colt AR...
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #8

Hobe Sound, FLA .22
Thumbs down

Good Riddance! There are 2 Generations of Shooters who have no idea of What it was like to Shoot, a real Caliber! I am referring to anything over .30 Caliber, all they have ever known is that little Boy Caliber Round that Tumbles because it has no Mass! Remember the M-14 Riflemen in Vietnam who were Experts with the M-14, and Boloed with the M-16. Every 30 Caliber Military Assault Style Rifle was better than the M-16. FAL, AKM, Japanese Type-64, SKS, G-3. Even the I.M.I. Galil was also made in .308 Winchester. The .223 will always be an Elmer Fudd Round. As for Colt, their Problem is their Workers are Union Members of the U.A.W. Paul

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt, 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.
Hobe Sound, FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #9

DE Pistole .22
The M-16 and M-14 were different tools, each more suitable than the other in given types of terrain and combat.
Andyd_is_PzGren and BlitzPig like this.
DE Pistole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:11 AM   #10

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Colt has made a decision that was phrased politically correct to appease the antis: assault (style) weapons do not belong in civilian hands. Considering a 5.56 rifle a high powered weapon is the kind of ignorance that made Colt crash in the demanding civilian market to begin with.

As to the M16, or AR15 version thereof and the 5.56 round, to being inadequate for military combat I am in disagreeance with such statement. I also do not consider the HK G3 a better weapon than the AR platform. And the HK G36 is by far inferior to the M16, despite the fact that the average recruits do get better results at the firing range with the G36 and its lousy scope over the G3. I have extensive experience with the G3 and G36 but have decided to personally own an AR carbine in 5.56. As I am a civilian and do not need to adhere to the Geneva convention, I use the same ammo in it that the DPD uses.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion