WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2019, 07:47 PM   #31

surrealone .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
True...old is old. But this country is a heart attack waiting to happen. People are fat lard potatoes. That’s not just an option it is backed by data. Oh...I was one too. I was lazy. Made excuses. But that’s all they are ....excuses.

I found it odd that people think they need a side arm to prevent something that in all likelihood will never happen, but yet, are out of shape and fat....and heart disease will definitely happen.

Logic and data is simple...yet healthy. Make healthy choices and you will live longer. Sure, you can tire on a car accident or get cancer. I burried a brother, a father and a daughter to that disease. Two of which were heart attacks waiting to happen.

650,000 people die of heart disease every year in the US. 30,000 die from guns. Of which 20,000 is from suicide and almost all of the remaining deaths are from criminal activity. Actual shootings such as the ones portrayed in the medial are almost statistically irrelevant.

Let’s say the number is 1,000. That means people are 650 times more likely to die from heart disease.

It’s not someone else with a gun you need to worry about, it’s the burger and beer on your plate.

Sorry for the rant....I just can’t balance the fact that we ignore the bear in the room as a society but get all up in arms over the need to carry. And ya no what, I am not afraid to say it either.
You, again, seem to assume that everyone CAN do something about it. At the age of 38 I was in amazing physical shape - could bench my weight, run a 7 minute mile, and was still wearing the same waist size I had at 18. I was close to 8% body fat, too -- so lean. Then, while stopped at a red light, a car plowed into mine -- and all of that changed in literally an instant. The bulging disks in my back and the pinched nerve prevent me from exercising like I once could. I now hover around 23-25% body fat -- which at my age, is on the high end of the 'healthy' scale -- and just under 'obese'. (The only reason I'm not in the obese range is because I watch my eating.)

You think I like this? No, I don't. I'll never be as fit as I was, able to lift what I could, run like I could, water ski, snow ski, or row. There are lots more like me out there, with various conditions that are not conducive to being 'fit'. In my case, it's irritating because when it happened I was VERY fit. With your critical attitude that fails to consider people's various conditions, you'd best hope nothing stops you from exercising, or you'll become what you apparently despise. On the other hand, maybe something like that needs to happen to you such that you stop erroneously assuming that just because you can go exercise … everyone else can.

I'm not sorry for the response rant, because I think it's asinine of you to assume that everyone can just go get fit. While many can … many also cannot -- for reasons beyond their own control.
Edelbd6c likes this.
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member
surrealone is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #32

WaterDR Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
Quote:
True...old is old. But this country is a heart attack waiting to happen. People are fat lard potatoes. That’s not just an option it is backed by data. Oh...I was one too. I was lazy. Made excuses. But that’s all they are ....excuses.

I found it odd that people think they need a side arm to prevent something that in all likelihood will never happen, but yet, are out of shape and fat....and heart disease will definitely happen.

Logic and data is simple...yet healthy. Make healthy choices and you will live longer. Sure, you can tire on a car accident or get cancer. I burried a brother, a father and a daughter to that disease. Two of which were heart attacks waiting to happen.

650,000 people die of heart disease every year in the US. 30,000 die from guns. Of which 20,000 is from suicide and almost all of the remaining deaths are from criminal activity. Actual shootings such as the ones portrayed in the medial are almost statistically irrelevant.

Let’s say the number is 1,000. That means people are 650 times more likely to die from heart disease.

It’s not someone else with a gun you need to worry about, it’s the burger and beer on your plate.

Sorry for the rant....I just can’t balance the fact that we ignore the bear in the room as a society but get all up in arms over the need to carry. And ya no what, I am not afraid to say it either.
You, again, seem to assume that everyone CAN do something about it. At the age of 38 I was in amazing physical shape - could bench my weight, run a 7 minute mile, and was still wearing the same waist size I had at 18. I was close to 8% body fat, too -- so lean. Then, while stopped at a red light, a car plowed into mine -- and all of that changed in literally an instant. The bulging disks in my back and the pinched nerve prevent me from exercising like I once could. I now hover around 23-25% body fat -- which at my age, is on the high end of the 'healthy' scale -- and just under 'obese'. (The only reason I'm not in the obese range is because I watch my eating.)

You think I like this? No, I don't. I'll never be as fit as I was, able to lift what I could, run like I could, water ski, snow ski, or row. There are lots more like me out there, with various conditions that are not conducive to being 'fit'. In my case, it's irritating because when it happened I was VERY fit. With your critical attitude that fails to consider people's various conditions, you'd best hope nothing stops you from exercising, or you'll become what you apparently despise. On the other hand, maybe something like that needs to happen to you such that you stop erroneously assuming that just because you can go exercise … everyone else can.

I'm not sorry for the response rant, because I think it's asinine of you to assume that everyone can just go get fit. While many can … many also cannot -- for reasons beyond their own control.
Never did I ever say “everyone”. What I did say is the country is fat and lazy and getting worse. This isn’t opinion....it’s truth.

But I have heard it all. Excuses are just that....excuses. Most people use them. Some people have real medical issues and have to work within their limitations.

I am 52. My dad died at 65. My brother at 48. Buried a daughter at 18 months old (cancer). I have suffered from depression so bad I could barely function...nearly killed myself. If I can do it.....I think there are a lot others that can too.

I box with a guy who is 43. Has had three hip replacements already. He suffers from a bone disease and always has gout. He has lost 50 lbs and looks great...feels great....he is my wing man. Said he couldn’t do it either, just like I did.

We all have our stories and we all make our choices. Everyone is entitled to do that.
romeo_alpha01 likes this.

Last edited by WaterDR; 12-29-2019 at 09:12 PM.
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #33

XRing .22
Surreal,
I understood the purpose of the thread was related to non firearm protective devices.

The off shoot about getting in shape really was not the intended purpose of the thread.

As we all get older we cannot physically perform like when we were younger.

Also some may have limitations even at a young age due to physical handicap etc.

There are mindset factors important to personal defense.

I like and recommend a brief paperback book authored by Jeff Cooper.

Principles of Personal Defense.
surrealone likes this.

Last edited by XRing; 12-29-2019 at 10:00 PM.
XRing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #34

Edelbd6c .22
The most important defense tool in carry and non-carry locations is your brain. Teach yourself mental self-defense and situational awareness. Any good self defense instructor will teach this before any other tool. In an unarmed area a well tuned brain will save your life and the lives of others because you will be able to act before anything serious happens.
Edelbd6c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:36 AM   #35

lana_sands .22
Stick to the pepper spray or a taser. Pellet guns are for mice. Not men.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Edelbd6c likes this.
lana_sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #36

Jimbo80 .22
Quote:
Itís not someone else with a gun you need to worry about, itís the burger and beer on your plate.
If I can't have burgers and beer you can just shoot me straight away.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #37

GeoNole94 .22
I will second earlier comments about the fundamental importance of situational awareness and learning to use the physical weapons that are always with you (yep, even naked in the shower). A great “concealed” weapon that is not restricted in any way is an ink pen. Offense or defense, there is a surprising amount that can be accomplished with just a little bit of training and practice.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #38

kampers .22
I will just continue to carry my Walther PPQ SC and not go anywhere where I can't legally carry my weapon so that I can stay safe as possible and be able to defend myself.

I carried a CO2 air pistol the Walther's CPSport pistol before I finally broke down and bought my first real firearm pistol. I got the Walthers PPQ M2 4" 9mm firearm and then got a little Ruger Lc9s Pro 9 mm. Then I finally got the Walthers PPQ SC 9 mm

For all the reasons above I would not consider carrying a CO2 pistol unless I wanted to shoot at a squirrel in my blueberries without alarming the entire neighborhood with gun fire.
kampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion