Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #11

Jimbo80 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
Or find a hunting buddy that is already stocked up with em. 1917
That might be the best option. Around here guys are always looking for an opportunity to shoot hogs. If you have to wait 9 months you may not have a farm left.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-27-2019, 12:32 AM   #12

ref441 .22
I have a Thunder Beast .22 suppressor that took about 7 months for approval. I am now into month 9 waiting for a SilencerCo Omega 9mm suppressor.

I have had an FFL almost 40 years out of my home, no storefront. I am often asked if that helps get a suppressor; sadly, no, it doesn't.

I've been told by several that there is a Bill in Congress to make a suppressor just like a firearm...pass the background check and take it home. I assume the latest mass shootings caused the GOP to back off on pushing such a Bill; now the Democratic House likely would not pass it anyway....although it might get a few Democrat votes from those in vulnerable districts.
ref441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #13

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo80 View Post
That might be the best option. Around here guys are always looking for an opportunity to shoot hogs. If you have to wait 9 months you may not have a farm left.
Aint that the truty. Now I'm seeing nigh vision drones so that you can find them in the dark.....sneak up on em. This isn't going to end money wise. At least drones and scopes I can purchase any old day, no wait. 300 blackout is good for what specifically? 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019, 09:46 PM   #14

matquig .22
Quote:
300 blackout is good for what specifically? 1917
Dropping a 220gr bullet into a target at 400 yards with the accuracy of a rifle and energy that exceeds a .45ACP from the muzzle, silently, if you have the suppressor to go with it.
matquig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:11 AM   #15

SteveM .22
Quote:
300 blackout is good for what specifically? 1917

SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #16

P99pete .22
Is it Elmer season already?

Government, in all forms, is just controlled oppression.

People should not be afraid of their government, governments should be afraid of their people. -V

Getting old and cranky in my old age, just like old men are supposed to be.
P99pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:54 PM   #17

surrealone .38
Quote:
300 blackout is good for what specifically?
White tail deer hunting by an experienced hunter who: 1) has already mastered camoflage, scent control, trigger discipline and shot placement -- allowing him/her to get up close and personal for a well-placed shot; 2) has selected a .300 BLK round/load that reliably expands at the velocity it will be traveling; 3) understands the effective lethal ranges of the round/load s/he's using; and 4) is willing and able to track the animal's blood trail (in the same way archery-based hunters often must) if need be.

Good subsonic .300BLK factory hunting rounds that reliably expand at subsonic speeds are spendy, but worthwhile for someone who is not a hand loader. A well-placed heart shot from such a subsonic round that is delivered in under 30 yards will be deadly and virtually silent -- which avoids spooking other nearby deer who don't actually see the kill -- allowing additional opportunities within minutes (especially true during rutting season -- even moreso if the hunter uses rattling techniques, as multiple bucks may come). The animal will bleed profusely with such a shot and should fall in a matter of 1-5 bounds and 10-15 seconds, tops, as the heart stops and the circulatory system shuts down. Neck shots that sever the spinal column are equally if not more effective, as the animal will simply flop over and convulse for 15-20 seconds as communication between the brain and all other bodily functions cease.

Tracking should only be needed if a well-aimed, clean killshot is not achieved. Assuming the hunter remains within the effective lethal range of the round in use, the shot will have delivered more energy to the target than either compound bows or reverse draw crossbows can deliver. (Yes, I've done the math and compared.) In addition, an expanding bullet will have cutting/sawing actions to the animal's internals similar to those of broadheads used when hunting with archery equipment. Thus, there's no risk of unethical harvesting unless the hunter's shooting sucks, the effective ranges of the round in use are ignored, a round that doesn't reliably expand is used, and/or the energies and methodologies associated with archery-based harvests are also considered unethical.

In a nutshell, in the hands of a seasoned hunter, a .300 BLK-based platform provides a light, easily-maneuverable, nearly silent, deadly effective, and humane hunting tool -- one that can be built out as a pistol (using a brace, of course) to allow for use in both pistol season and "gun" season -- in states that actually have a pistol season. (In my state, pistols are usable during 'gun' season -- meaning pistols don't get their own time slot/window -- but I've lived in states where they did.)

When I'm hunting deep wooded areas where I can only see ~30-50 yards or less, I don't lug my 12lb, 20" barreled (plus suppressor) .308 WIN (800 yard effective range) rifle/scope with me, anymore. Sure, it's great for hunting the edges of fields or funnels, but it's a beast to cart around. Instead, I take the 5lb, 10" barreled (plus suppressor) .300 BLK (30 yard effective range) pistol with me, as it's much easier to haul into the stand - not just because of weight, but because of OAL. This matters a lot when I have the weight of the 22lb climbing stand plus my cold weather gear, hydration pack, and other such kit on me -- especially with a long trek into/on hilly terrain. I'm getting old and am not a big dude, by the way, so a 7lb weight difference is huge for me.

I took my biggest white tail ever (9 pointer that yielded 98lbs of meat -- barely missed being a 10 pointer because he'd lost a point) last season with a .300 BLK shot to the heart as described above. The pistol I used was custom built for this express purpose... for all of the reasons noted, above. Within 15 minutes I had another opportunity on an 8 pointer as I was slowly and quietly coming down from my perch, but I let him walk with the hope of him getting bigger and becoming dinner this season.

Surreal

P.S. I answered since you asked. Back on the original topic, the only things you can really do to avoid going through the process multiple times is buy multiple suppressors at the same time OR buy a single suppressor that has changeable pistons, mounts, and end-caps (so that it can fit/fill different needs).

P.S.S. I, too, think it's frustrating that with a CC permit (meaning prints on file, background check on record, etc.) the federal government doesn't streamline the process by asking if there is an existing state CC issued and, if so, what the number is -- and then cross-referencing it via a check to the state that issued the permit. Golly, that might make sense and make the process cheaper and more sensible -- which is exactly why the Obama administration did NOT do it when the new requirements for NFA purchases using gun trusts were put into play by Obama's executive order.
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member

Last edited by surrealone; 08-28-2019 at 12:34 AM.
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion