Shooting glasses - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #11
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
I had Mark at https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/ mill a couple of my PPQ 5 inchers. He milled the slide to accept the Walther factory Q5 Match adapter plates. I forget the price, but it was certainly reasonable. Now these pistols will accept a variety of RMR's as well as the LPA rear sight, if you need or desire iron sights.

If you already have a spare RMR that'll fit one of the Walther adpater plates, all it'll cost is the price of milling/shipping. Its worth checking the price. It cost me $365 for shipping and milling of 2 slides.

As a note, I carry an RMR equipped PPQ all the time for SD. I can carry outside the waistband or for concealed carry I can carry inside the waistband. Just need the right holster/s.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 06-09-2019 at 11:58 AM.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #12

Meho1277 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spin40 View Post
Have your considered lined tri-focal glasses?

I've used these for years with great success. The mid-range focal point is measured to the tip of my middle finger with my arm fully extended which gives me the perfect front sight picture. Also, I have no visual distortion and greater peripheral and distance vision without having to move my head.

I use safety glasses that are designed to fit over prescription glasses.

The tri-focal setup is good for desktop or laptop computer work too.
Yeah, i think i am going to have them make them just like my ssp top focal glasses, with the computer mag on the top and distance on the rest of the lens in a lined bi focal fashion. I like the top focal, but they are not bi focals, they are basically readers on top and nothing on the rest.
Meho1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #13

1942bull .22
My ols eyes exhibit the same characteristics as so many of us. Progressive lenses are awful for shooting. Single focal lenses make you sacrifice distance or closeup. So bifocal lenses are the compromise. But they are not a solution because neither focal segment gives good focus on the front sight in traditional shooting stances. So, I made a change in how I shoot.

Sever years ago I took a three day course in the Center Axis Relock system for gunfighting. It is a SD system not a target stance like Isosceles or Weaver. It is a cross dominant eye targeting system with arms less extended that conventional target stances. It allows me to use bifocals with normal settings and still see the front sight clearly because it is closer to my eye. So when I look out the top portion of the lens I see a sharp view of the overall scene, and when I look through the lower section I see a very sharp front sight. I love it.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #14

sunny08 .22
Just curious, what happens with rifle sights?
sunny08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #15

Sidecar2 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spin40 View Post
Have your considered lined tri-focal glasses?
Trifocal sounds like a good idea. Might try it. Currently I have a second pair of glasses set for computer distance -- about 3 feet face-to-monitor. If that magnification were set as the middle, it would be pretty handy, I'm guessing.

Currently, I use simple hard-lined bifocals for my regular glasses -- closeup and far.

My previous prescription sunglasses were progressives, but the lenses are thicker and require me to move my head about to find the "sweet spot" -- like looking through a soda straw to get focus. Worse, the thicker lenses allowed my eyelashes to touch the inside of the lens. This is really bothersome and it greases up the lens quicker.

So for current prescription sunglasses, I went with simple far distance prescription only. Yes, the front sight is fuzzy, but I can still see it well enough.
spin40 likes this.
Sidecar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #16

wildcatf150 .22
An earlier post mentioned mono-vision. That's what I do for daily wear, but with contract lenses. Right eye for close up, left eye for distance. Then I just wear any quality safety-type glasses. My progressive lens glasses stay on the bedside table.
It does take some time to get used to, but it works for me.
wildcatf150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #17

P99pete .22
I use mono vision shooting glasses, left for distance, right for close in. Seems like that is what most IOLs (Intra Ocular Lenses) do for cataract surgery too, unless you pay for the "premium" options. It is a good solution for most.

I do not like RMRs as they have need for batteries and suffer from washing out in bright light. When I use optics I get etched reticle kind so I can see it if battery fails.Trijicon dual light source RMRs use tritium lamps for dark and fiber optic for ambient/day sources, so at least you do not have to worry about batteries going flat. Personally I still prefer iron sights.

Government, in all forms, is just controlled oppression.

People should not be afraid of their government, governments should be afraid of their people. -V

Getting old and cranky in my old age, just like old men are supposed to be.
P99pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:18 AM   #18

Meho1277 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by P99pete View Post
I use mono vision shooting glasses, left for distance, right for close in. Seems like that is what most IOLs (Intra Ocular Lenses) do for cataract surgery too, unless you pay for the "premium" options. It is a good solution for most.

I do not like RMRs as they have need for batteries and suffer from washing out in bright light. When I use optics I get etched reticle kind so I can see it if battery fails.Trijicon dual light source RMRs use tritium lamps for dark and fiber optic for ambient/day sources, so at least you do not have to worry about batteries going flat. Personally I still prefer iron sights.
I agree, if I cant shoot with iron sights, I dont want to shoot, I actually am having a pair of lined bi focals made, like ssp eyewear top focal glasses, but with my medium distance on top, and my distance everywhere else on the lenses. Libertysport.com are making them, they are the IT-20B model, with transitions lenses, clear in low light, dark in bright, polycarbonate lenses, anti scratch, anti fog, and about a $500 pricetag.

Last edited by Meho1277; 07-02-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #19

surrealone .38
I guess LASIK is right out?
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:05 AM   #20

Meho1277 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
I guess LASIK is right out?
I talked with my dr. about lasik, she said it wouldn't really be practical for me and would only be a temporary fix, as fast as my eyes are changing. Every year my prescription changes, so that would last for a year or so. I'm having custom lined bi focals made with the front sight distance, on the top of the lense, and distance every where else on the lense, after a few lab glitches, I should have them In hand next week.
imaoldfart likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion