Andy Artoonian Horsehyde holster re-sizing delemma - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By imaoldfart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #1

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Andy Artoonian Horsehyde holster re-sizing delemma

I've been attempting to contact Andy Arratoonian (in England, emails) for almost a year now. I have an Arratoonian P5 horse hide holster w/horse blood dying (DARK oxblood color) that is partially collapsed (~ 2mm) due to over two decades of improper storage. These were 3month wait holsters (after order placement) 3 decades ago.

I guess with Andy being almost 90 yrs old, and having been diagnosed with Parkinsons ~5 years ago, he is no longer working (being a perfectionist, he did ALL the holster work himself). This guys name is whispered among holster makers, he's an absolute legend.

The holster and lineage is far too special NOT to use. I've been using a black Price Western (also English) leather holster whenever I carry the P5 or P5 Lang (BBQ carry).

I guess the question is, who do I use to re-size the Arratoonian correctly? I don't want to lose any of the "sharp line" profile work Andy put into this holster in the re-size process.

I've sent an email to Kramer, waiting for a response.

Thanks for any suggestions.

EDIT, sorry for the mis-spell in the title, it's Arratoonian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03558 (2).jpg (148.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03559 (2).jpg (143.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03561 (2).jpg (82.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 09-14-2019 at 09:45 AM.
DeutschlandUberAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
I'm not a leather guy, but if it were me, I'd give some thought to picking up a P5 'bluegun'. Decide on some way to hydrate the holster, maybe hang it in a 'steamy' shower for an hour....just want the steam/moister soaking into it....not running water. When its hydrated, stick that plastic P5 in there and leave it for a week or until the leather drys.

I know nothing about leather......

Or just order a kydex/leather linned holster from https://www.giholsters.com/
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #3

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
I'm not a leather guy, but if it were me, I'd give some thought to picking up a P5 'bluegun'. Decide on some way to hydrate the holster, maybe hang it in a 'steamy' shower for an hour....just want the steam/moister soaking into it....not running water. When its hydrated, stick that plastic P5 in there and leave it for a week or until the leather drys.

I know nothing about leather......

Or just order a kydex/leather linned holster from https://www.giholsters.com/

I've thought of steaming and re-sizing myself, but this sometimes reduces the sharp profile lines.

I may just have to go that route.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #4

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Another reason for not wanting to mess this thing up? Andy stopped working in Horsehide ~10 years ago. Seems the blocking of horsehide is very difficult to do, with visually sharp details hard to achieve.

This guy is highly regarded by the finest holster makers in the world, Alessi, Null, Sparks, Nelson, del Fatti.......

It seems among horsehide holster users, Arratoonian's products were THE finest available, anywhere. As stated prior, I don't want to ruin this one.

Holsters in Cowhide or Horsehide from Horseshoe Leather

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 09-10-2019 at 03:51 PM.
DeutschlandUberAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #5

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Heard back from Kramer, they won't work on other manufacturers items. Darn.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training