Inexpensive 5-gun pistol case project - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jkv45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #1

jkv45 .22
Inexpensive 5-gun pistol case project

Got tired of dragging multiple small pistol cases to the range every time, and saw a nice set-up at the recent NRA show.

Mycasebuilder.com had a nice 5-gun custom cut foam liner and hardcase for about $100 - https://mycasebuilder.com/mycasebuil...tom-gun-cases/.

Then I saw this case advertised in a Northern Tool mailer - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3036_200723036.

In the mailer it's on sale for $19.99, and there's a $5 off coupon included - so at $15 I though it was worth a shot.

Not a bad case -

Standard "pluckable" foam liner.

The tricky part is the fitting and cutting the lower layer that isn't "pluckable". It order to get the pistols to sit upright you need to make a pocket in the lower foam for the grip to sit in. That part is a pain, and a mess of cut foam pieces. I like the "steps" that position the pistol upright, but I've seen others have just a full-length notch where the pistols sit angled with the rear sight as the highest point. That would be easier to do, and probably just fine.

After everything is cut, I found some info that said to use PlastiDip on the foam to give it some rigidity - which worked well. It ties everything together and resists oil saturation. I used almost a full can, about 4 or 5 coats, and it seems to be best when applied heavy.

After "plucking" and PlastiDip -

So there's my $24 (including Plastidip) 5-gun (and 5-mag) pistol case. Not as nice as the $100 case for sure, but better than juggling a bunch of small cases every time.

There's still one opening. I need to do some shopping I guess.

Last edited by jkv45; 05-22-2019 at 09:30 AM.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #2

DukeIronHand .22
Nice. Looks like a rainy day project.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #3

jkv45 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post
Nice. Looks like a rainy day project.
That's about right.

Make sure you have a decent Shop Vac to pick-up all the tiny static-charged pieces of foam you trim off (if you trim the bottom foam) and ventilation for spraying the PlastiDip after you have it all set.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training