Recommendations on a bedside gun safe? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #1

WiseguyDS .22
Recommendations on a bedside gun safe?

You’re asleep and you wake to a noise. You roll over, swipe a finger and your safe silently pops open. Your home defense gun is at the ready for you to just pull from the pocket, which you do just as the bad guy busts in to the bedroom...

So this is a mental picture that goes through my head frequently but the problem is I don’t see any safes out there that will hang from the side of the bed within easy reach that performs reliably. One model uses a horizontal flat appendage to wedge between the mattress and the bed frame but that model relies on gravity to allow the door to fall outward. If the safe is perfectly vertical sometimes it unlocks, only to relock again preventing access because the door doesn’t fall outward.

You’ve got a house or apartment that has kids and you need to keep the gun secure but quickly at the ready. What safe do you use or recommend that you can reliably get to and quickly retrieve your weapon?
WiseguyDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Well, no kids in my house, so I don't have to worry about keepin' the guns locked up. I've pretty much always got one near by....loaded, one the pipe....ready to go.

I pressed some custom kydex shells that'll accept a PPQ 5" with threaded barrel and compensator, RMR and Streamlight TLR-2/Viridian X5L. Meaning, it'll pretty much accept any PPQ combo I can dream up ... 4" or 5".

Here's one by the bed.

And by the recliner.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #3

muckaleewarrior71 .22
Look into Gunvault and Hornady gunsafes. I have a couple by Gunvault but not the biometric versions.
WiseguyDS likes this.

P99 & P99c AS 9mm, PPX .40, PPS M2 9mm, and
PPQ M1 9mm!
muckaleewarrior71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #4

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
I have a 2 Sentry Safes, the CEO has her Mom's old Charter Arms Undercover 38spl revolver in the one on her side of the bed (loaded, with 5 speedloaders (30 rds of PDX1) and a Coast tactical light). The one on my side of the bed is empty, I place the PPQ 45 on top of it, along with 2 mags, another Coast light by my Walther also. No children in the home.
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #5

WiseguyDS .22
I’m sitting here with a nice liberty safe... in the MBR closet... exactly in the path of the bad guy. Though I’m not seriously concerned about imminent home invasions in our relatively small town, I constantly go through these mental exercises and I’m seeing an opportunity here: Hang it on the bed side and have a gas strut push that door open.

Is there a product like this out there I wonder without the need of drilling it in to the bed furniture.

The GunBox looks promising too.

Last edited by WiseguyDS; 07-14-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Ha.... My bed mount actually is a large piece of steel (maybe 9" x 30") that lays between the mattress and the box springs. The metal plate has a 90° angle on the end, extending up about 3 or 4 inches. I attached a piece of plywood to this vertical flange, extending upward. I attached the pistol and the controls for my bed and TV to this plywood. The bed is another redneck fabrication, where I modified the box (foundation), by way of using a 110 volt linear actuator to elevate the head of the bed about 9 inches....pivoting at the foot of the bed. Doctor told me to put bricks or 2x4's under the head of the bed frame....I went 'one' better. Now I can raise or lower the head of the bed with the push of a button, actually a rocker switch. Acid reflux, don't ya know. The TV control is another rocker switch to control the tilt of the TV, which is mounted to another redneck fabrication above the bed. I use another linear actuator to pivot the TV, either to a flat position (while not watching) or to a preset angle, which, after much redneck math and testing, rotates the TV screen to an angle that points the TV screen directly at the head of the bed.

NOW, you've got me thinking about this gas strut idea.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #7

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
Must've been a fabricator or something earlier in life?

Any houses for sale on your block? Sounds like a handy neighborhood to be a part of lol..
Old 10-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #8

iPPQ .22
I use the vertical Gunvault that I've attached to the wall. It could also attach to the nightstand, but I didn't want to put holes in the nightstand. It opens either by programmed buttons or with a key. I like it, but it does make a lot of noise when it opens. Which might not be a bad thing if it keeps the bad guy from entering your bedroom. It easily holds a PPQ with a 4" barrel and laser/light. But, the 5" model is too long to clear the opening. This is probably too late to help the OP, but maybe it will help someone who is also interested in the topic.
iPPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:42 AM   #9

WiseguyDS .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPPQ View Post
This is probably too late to help the OP, but maybe it will help someone who is also interested in the topic.
The OP always appreciates the input and your opinions definitely add to the value of our thread! I have another thread out there somewhere where I took photos of my solution: a Sentry Safe with the biometric reader. I had a buddy manufacture a simple bracket I affixed to the back and hung it bedside. Your solution was right up there but the way the GunVault mounted put it at a difficult angle for my reach. But I will say out of all the safes I researched, the GunVault had some of the highest user ratings and reviews.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #10

MMA10mm .22
So, I took a different approach.

I don't have my bedside gun locked at all. There is a hidden compartment (or 3 or 4 of them) in the headboard of my bed, where my bump-in-the-night pistol lives. Only my wife and I know where it is. We bought this about 25 years ago, and it is no longer made, but there are companies like New Jersey Concealment who build similar items.
WiseguyDS likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

Search tags for this page

news

Click on a term to search for related topics.