Streamlight TLR 1 vs TLR 1 HL (Indoor and Outdoor) - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2018, 04:22 PM  

Mighty_Barbell .22
Streamlight TLR 1 vs TLR 1 HL (Indoor and Outdoor)

So I have been considering getting a WML. I bought a good streamlight flashlight a while back when trying to decide between a handheld and WML.

I ultimately decided for life, in general, a good handheld can't be beat. Well after purchasing the p99c, my PPQ is screaming for some attention. With it being my prime nightstand companion, I am looking into a light for it because why not?

I have read many other web comparisons between these and everyone seems pretty split.

You have the "800 lumen is too much" on one end and the "I don't see how one would prefer less, get as many lumens as possible" on the other.

I realize that beam pattern also makes a difference which, other than lumens, is the difference between these two.

Keeping in mind that this is for 95% indoor use, I can't see there being that much difference between 300 and 800 lumens given the wider beam pattern of the HL. So, in my mind, I am leaning toward the HL.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Insults?
Old 02-23-2018, 04:33 PM  

UrHero .22
Go more. The issues people have with "too many lumens" is because of poor technique.

Proper use of the light will prevent any issues with blinding yourself, and will make the light more effective than just pointing it straight ahead.

Practice using a slight upward angle to great an umbrella effect with the light. It will illuminate more area and make searching much more effective and easier.

People love to claim that too many lumens will be blinding if you shine it at a mirror or something else reflective... Just move the light and you're not blinding yourself anymore, plus you just gained information and know not to point it there anymore.

I regularly search houses with 1,000 lumen surefires, and have never had an issue. If I could go brighter, I would

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mighty_Barbell likes this.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:56 PM  

Mattiooo .22
I had a TLR-2 for the longest time. I bought the Omnivore holster, and my TLR-2 was so old, it didn't fit. I had a TLR-1HL mounted on a rifle, and so I tried it and it worked. I sold the antique TLR-2 for more than enough to get another TLR-1HL for my pistols.

I prefer it. The blinding power of it is insane. It would definitely cause a bad guy some discomfort and buy you a second to get some work done.

I like it also because it solves the biggest concern of having to point a loaded weapon at an unknown target. It's bright enough to use the bounce off of floors, ceilings, and walls to light a good chunk of the room effectively.

The biggest knock on it is what people complain about. It's so bright, that if you have a negligent discharge of the light when close to a wall or an item, it can create a backsplash that will hurt your eyes. A real consideration given that the TLR is easy to have a ND on. Those rockers are sensitive, and it's easy to accidentally engage them.

But I still love it and it's my primary.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:40 PM  

Mighty_Barbell .22
That is quite a nice looking pistol, mattiooo. It even looks good with the streamlight.

Thanks for your input guys. I think I’ll wait a day in case someone else chimes in but I think the HL is looking to be the winner.
Mattiooo likes this.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:49 PM  

Mattiooo .22
Whichever TLR you get, I learned a great tip here on the forums. Use the P320 key instead of the 1913 Picatinny key. It allows you to mount the light in better position to the trigger guard. That's what you see in my photo.

With the 1913 key, the light sits a little further up the handgun with a bigger gap to the trigger guard.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:00 PM  

Mighty_Barbell .22
Thanks I was wondering about that. From the product description I was going to go with the SW mount because they said that was the P99 compatible one and assumed it would be the same.. But the p320 is the best option?
Old 02-23-2018, 07:21 PM  

Mattiooo .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Barbell View Post
Thanks I was wondering about that. From the product description I was going to go with the SW mount because they said that was the P99 compatible one and assumed it would be the same.. But the p320 is the best option?
That's what I found. But they are simple to change out, so you can try them all and decide what works best for you.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:59 PM  

UrHero .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiooo View Post
The biggest knock on it is what people complain about. It's so bright, that if you have a negligent discharge of the light when close to a wall or an item, it can create a backsplash that will hurt your eyes. A real consideration given that the TLR is easy to have a ND on. Those rockers are sensitive, and it's easy to accidentally engage them.
That's the reason I still run an X300U. Well, that and the fact that the TLR is known to cause malfunctions in our work guns. I would love to get the 800 lumens from the HL, but I absolutely hate the streamlight switch.

Oveready makes an aftermarket head for the x300u that puts out 3500 lumens. Thinking about saving some pennies for that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mattiooo likes this.

Last edited by UrHero; 02-24-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:07 PM  

Mighty_Barbell .22
That x300 looks nice. I might look into them later down the road.

Mattiooo, I have a question regarding the TLR 1 HL: is there a visible center hot spot? The product description makes it look like there is not a very clear one.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:51 PM  

ShipWreck .22
800 lumens is great if you are a cop clearing a warehouse, but is way too bright if you are a guy who just woke up in the middle of the night, and you shine it on a nearby wall and you blind yourself. Have you ever woken up and turned on a flashlight and shined it on a wall 7-10 feet from you?

I would stick with normal TRL1, if I were you.

I used to collect LEDs, and had 30+ at one time. Brighter is better when you are awake. Not at 2am when you wake up

Last edited by ShipWreck; 02-24-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

Search tags for this page

news

Click on a term to search for related topics.