Streamlight TLR 1 vs TLR 1 HL (Indoor and Outdoor) - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2018, 01:41 AM   #11

UrHero .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
800 lumens is great if you are a cop clearing a warehouse, but is way too bright if you are a guy who just woke up in the middle of the night, and you shine it on a nearby wall and you blind yourself. Have you ever woken up and turned on a flashlight and shined it on a wall 7-10 feet from you?

I would stick with normal TRL1, if I were you.

I used to collect LEDs, and had 30+ at one time. Brighter is better when you are awake. Not at 2am when you wake up
Good technique will solve that problem

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
UrHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #12

ShipWreck .22
I disagree, but that is ok too

I have a handheld light... A Nightcore SRT6. It has a rotating ring. You can adjust it to any brightness from zero to max, simply by turning it. I like that for nighttime, home use. It is so easy to make it any brightness.

Being awake already, and needing a light vs waking up at night and blinding yourself... It is 2 different things IMHO

Last edited by ShipWreck; 02-25-2018 at 11:01 AM.
ShipWreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #13

UrHero .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
I disagree, but that is ok too

I have a handheld light... A Nightcore SRT6. It has a rotating ring. You can adjust it to any brightness from zero to max, simply by turning it. I like that for nighttime, home use. It is so easy to make it any brightness.

Being awake already, and needing a light vs waking up at night and blinding yourself... It is 2 different things IMHO
I dislike multi-setting flashlights for defensive use. Inevitably the wrong setting comes in when I want it, or I switched when I don't want it to.

I keep a 600 lumen x300u on my pistols, a 1,000 on my rifle, and a handheld surefire P3x 1,000 lumen available. I've used both the 600 and 1,000 in the middle of the night to search my house. The light doesn't need to point directly where you're looking. Bouncing it off walls, ceilings and floors will illuminate more area and prevent you from blinding yourself. It's all about technique

ETA: I've kind of been pimping his videos in here lately, but I really recommend checking out some of Aaron Cowan's videos (sage dynamics) on low light and use of handheld/wml. IMO he puts out some of the best videos to really explain and demonstrate some of these ideas. And as always, I'd recommend a good low-light class where you can put some if these concepts into practice and see for yourself. A low-light force on force class would be a really good idea.

Also this.

https://youtu.be/2ZtJ9CconiM

What I'm trying to get at here is to get the brightest light you can. Proper technique will overcome any perceived issues with "excessive brightness" and ultimately provide more benefit.

Last edited by UrHero; 02-25-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #14

Mighty_Barbell .22
I came across that guy last night when looking at comparisons. He seemed pretty knowledgeable. I can see both sides of the argument. I woke up and used my 2lx last night which is 500 lumens and it didn’t seem to bother me. Different strokes, I suppose. I also wonder how much difference there is in eye response to light, person to person.
Mighty_Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:58 PM   #15
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Bright lights REALLY bother my eyes. So, I had to improvise.....I'm using a 60 watt light bulb.

Mattiooo and Mighty_Barbell like this.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:09 PM   #16

Mighty_Barbell .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
Bright lights REALLY bother my eyes. So, I had to improvise.....I'm using a 60 watt light bulb.

HAHa! I think in California you have to get a background check and have it shipped to a FFL if you want that attachment.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #17

UrHero .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Barbell View Post
I came across that guy last night when looking at comparisons. He seemed pretty knowledgeable. I can see both sides of the argument. I woke up and used my 2lx last night which is 500 lumens and it didnít seem to bother me. Different strokes, I suppose. I also wonder how much difference there is in eye response to light, person to person.
You'll absolutely be happier with the brighter light.

Light = information and more information means faster, better decisions. I've never been in a situation where I said "I wish I had less light"

Old 02-26-2018, 03:41 AM   #18
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrHero View Post
You'll absolutely be happier with the brighter light.

Light = information and more information means faster, better decisions. I've never been in a situation where I said "I wish I had less light"

Ha....I still remember the time (it was 60 years ago) I picked up this gal at the bar....took her home. When we walked in and I turned on the lights...I was immediately wishing I had 'less light', so I turned the lights off. I do my best work in the dark, anyway.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 02-27-2018 at 09:09 AM.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:17 AM   #19

Mighty_Barbell .22
Well let me ask you guys this: if you had money to spend on either the TLR 1 HD for your home defense PPQ or a shotgun which would you choose? In the unlikely scenario I have to use one in a HD situation, I would be heartbroken to lose the PPQ. The thought of losing any of my Walthers makes me want to switch to another brand pistol for carry as well.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #20

UrHero .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Barbell View Post
Well let me ask you guys this: if you had money to spend on either the TLR 1 HD for your home defense PPQ or a shotgun which would you choose? In the unlikely scenario I have to use one in a HD situation, I would be heartbroken to lose the PPQ. The thought of losing any of my Walthers makes me want to switch to another brand pistol for carry as well.
Not to be an ass and throw out another option, but I'd get an AR. I have a certain amount of dislike for shotguns, outside of shooting birds and clays. ARs are easier to become really proficient with, lower recoil (faster follow-up shots), higher capacity, and a 5.56/.223 is actually less likely to over penetrate and continue through your house (I know it sounds counterintuitive).

Pistols are good if you need to be able to have hands free for gathering kids or whatnot, but ballistically rifles are better.

A shotgun will certainly put them down. Just wouldn't be my go to.

The question I would put back to you is, are you willing to out in the time and effort to really become proficient with the shotgun? It's a legit skill and it takes some work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

Search tags for this page

news

Click on a term to search for related topics.