WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > FYI - Good Deals

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #21

NDMarksman .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNole94 View Post
Dimensionally, they appear identical, and the .380 mags will seat and lock back the slide in the 9x18 pistol. What happens with ammo, Michael?
As you'll see on page 4 of the document I provided you the 9x18 Police cartridge is a tapered case from top to bottom and was actually the replacement for the original "straight cased" 9x18 Ultra. .21mm's wider at the bottom than at the top to be exact. The 9x17 Browning (.380 acp) is a straight case top to bottom measuring in at 9.5mm's. In short, the reason one can reload the 9x18 Police with a 9x19 Parabellum die set using a .380 acp shell holder is because they're tapered cases and dimensions extremely close. I successfully reload the 9x18 Police round this way a lot! Side note: I've managed to obtain some original 9x18 Ultra ammo which has a straight case O.D. dimension matching the .380 acp. I'm going to see if it works in a P232 magazine once it arrives!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 9mm Ultra - Police.pdf (341.3 KB, 4 views)
GeoNole94 likes this.
NDMarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #22

NDMarksman .22
The 9x18 Police ammo is extremely tight in the P232 magazine and I've never been able to squeeze more than two rounds in my P232 magazine. Even though the P232 mag will accept a couple of the 9x18 Police cartridges they're squeezed in so tight that when you release the slide to chamber a round the slide simply passes right over the round. My previous post explains in detail the reasons why I think this happens.
GeoNole94 likes this.

Last edited by NDMarksman; 03-02-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #23

GonzoGeezer .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDMarksman View Post
The 9x18 Police ammo is extremely tight in the P232 magazine and I've never been able to squeeze more than two rounds in my P232 magazine. Even though the P232 mag will accept a couple of the 9x18 Police cartridges they're squeezed in so tight that when you release the slide to chamber a round the slide simply passes right over the round. My previous post explains in detail the reasons why I think this happens.
When you tried to load the Ultra into the P232 magazine, were you using new or reloaded cartridges? Also, what brand of ammo do you mention in your earlier post where the cases arenít tapered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #24

NDMarksman .22
I tried both my reloads and factory ammo from Fiocchi as well as Precision Cartridge. None of those attempts worked. Another thing to consider is this. If you order 9x18 Ultra Brass for reloading what you really get, according to spec, is brass that is dimensionally a 9x18 Police case. It's stamped 9x18 Ultra but trust me, it ain't! I'm only guessing but my belief is that once the reloading die manufacturers realized the 9x18 Police could be reloaded with 9mm Parabellum dies it negated any reason to manufacture a die set for 9x18 Police / Ultra.
Your question about ammo. GECO is a European manufacturer of various ammo and "used to produce" the 9x18 Ultra ammo in 50 round boxes. I was lucky enought to find some so I ordered all that was available from that seller. It should be in this week so once it arrives I'll see if it fits my P232 magazine. If it does, the next step will be to function test it in the Sig P230.

Last edited by NDMarksman; 03-02-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #25

GonzoGeezer .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDMarksman View Post
I tried both my reloads and factory ammo from Fiocchi as well as Precision Cartridge. None of those attempts worked. Another thing to consider is this. If you order 9x18 Ultra Brass for reloading what you really get, according to spec, is brass that is dimensionally a 9x18 Police case. It's stamped 9x18 Ultra but trust me, it ain't! I'm only guessing but my belief is that once the reloading die manufacturers realized the 9x18 Police could be reloaded with 9mm Parabellum dies it negated any reason to manufacture a die set for 9x18 Police / Ultra.

Your question about ammo. GECO is a European manufacturer of various ammo and "used to produce" the 9x18 Ultra ammo in 50 round boxes. I was lucky enought to find some so I ordered all that was available from that seller. It should be in this week so once it arrives I'll see if it fits my P232 magazine. If it does, the next step will be to function test it in the Sig P230.
I have some of the GECO as well. Looking forward to reading what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #26

GeoNole94 .22
I would be surprised if much or any of the 1930s era Ultra brass or loaded ammo is out there anymore. Walther just resurrected the 9x18 Ultra moniker when they developed the PP Super, whether it is 1970s-1990s NOS or some new-production Fiocchi.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > FYI - Good Deals