Thoughts on .45 Polymer pistols - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

markevanthomas Unproven
Thoughts on .45 Polymer pistols

Okay guys.....been reading the comments and just curious about the consensus.....

I came from Kimber so I know a bit about .45s...but they are 1911. Give me your thoughts on the best, worst and needs of a .45 polymer pistol. Your favorite? What is the most, least you will spend?

Thanks
Mark
SmackytheFrog and JoeMcCoy like this.
markevanthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #2

Chadwick99 .22
There's a lot of top models out there. What exactly do you want to know? I owned a .45xd for years and never had a problem with it. Some people make a lot of fun of the XD's because they are made in Croatia but there are a lot of loyal XD fans out there. But Glock's models 21, 30, 36 are also exceptionally well built 45's.
Chadwick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
I'd say build a 45, using a PPQ grip module and P99 AS trigger assembly. As for pricing, keep it in line with the curent P99 pricing....however, less is always better.

Heck S&W has already done the leg work....SW99 45 acp. These are available on GunBroker from time to time. Grab one and send it to your research facility for breakdown and inspection. This is too easy, and there seems to be a huge following for this caliber here in the good ole US of A.
tdocz and olsoul like this.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #4

chuckles .22
They ae not for everyone but I would suggest any poly framed .45 be undertaken after close study of any of several H&K models. My 45C is a very nice pistol. Like I say, H&Ks aren't for everyone but they are outstanding pistols in my experience. I would like a 45C with your PPQ trigger but thats just me. JMHO and YMMV And yes, as OF says, .45ACP has a huge following here. It shares EDC duties with 9MM at my location.

Last edited by chuckles; 03-21-2013 at 10:31 AM.
chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #5

British Agent .22
Yes please!!

What I'm looking for from Walther as far as .45 ACP goes is an HK45C that doesn't cost $1000+. Something more in the P99 price range.

I love my PPS and am not a huge fan of the XDs due to .45 out of such a little package.

I'd definitely prefer something with the similar grip size of the P99 (double-stack) but with a slightly longer barrel (being .45), possibly hammer fired, and with a partial-cocked trigger... although I'm sure others will want DA/SA and SAO w/thumb safety (a la 1911) too. So I guess offer it 3-4 configurations, but make the frames generally universal so one could switch between them if the market doesn't allow for finding the one you want.

PP45 DA/SA: like the P99.
PP45 SAO: like the PPQ, maybe with a 1911 thumb safety.
PP45 Partial-DA: like the PPX or PPS, with some sort of striker
indicator/hammer that can be covered by the thumb for safe holstering.

We really appreciate the support, Mark!

Happiness is a warm gun.

Last edited by British Agent; 03-21-2013 at 01:12 PM.
British Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
My choice: SW99 — the .45-Caliber Walther

tdocz likes this.

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalExports View Post
That's what I'm talkin' about. I'm thinking a 45 acp could be put together using primarily off the shelf parts. Namely, a PPQ grip module with ambidextrous elongated magazine release as well as elongated ambidextrous slide stop. The trigger assembly could be a complete P99 AS assembly or a PPQ assembly. As for new parts, well you need a barrel, slide and recoil assembly. At least, that's the way I see it...but there could be more to it idk.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #8

alt4852 .22
It's possibly blasphemy to say on this particular forum, but my favorite firearm is undoubtedly my full size H&K USP .45ACP. It balances well, points well, and the firm push-type recoil of the cartridge is more pleasant to manage for me than the sharper higher-pressure 9mm, 40S&W, or even .380ACP recoil. It's accurate, all of the controls are easy to manipulate, and I've put thousands of rounds through mine without a single malfunction.

I honestly can't find anything to fault with it, and I'd have no reservations recommending a polymer .45 if you're interested in one. It's certainly not a good candidate for concealed carry, but 12+1 rounds of .45 makes for a great home defense weapon and a pleasure to use as a range gun. I'm sure full size and compact versions out of any of the major polymer manufacturers will serve you just as well since I've heard plenty of praise for Glock, S&W, XD, etc as well.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #9

deciplesteve .22
I would love a P99 or PPQ .45. I didn't include the PPX because I've not held one, so I don't know what it's like, I assume it is top quality like every other Walther.
deciplesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #10

markevanthomas Unproven
I love you guys.....already named it the PP45.....

Great comments and nothing too shocking....why would you buy a Polymer .45 over say a 1911 full metal?
markevanthomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Tags
.45, polymer pistols, walther .45

Search tags for this page
best 45 polymer pistol
best polymer .45

best polymer 45

best polymer 45 2013
best polymer 45 acp pistol
best polymer 45 pistol
best polymer pistol
favorite polymer 45
polymer 45
polymer 45 acp
s&w .22 pistol
top polymer .45 pistols
Click on a term to search for related topics.