Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ActionExpress
  • 1 Post By ActionExpress

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 01:20 AM   #1

ActionExpress .22
Kel-Tec P17 .22LR

I took the plunge on a new product right out of the gate...the $199.99 Kel-Tec P17.

On paper, it seemed a little too good to be true...a $200 .22 pistol with 16 round capacity that is suppressor ready and ships with three magazines.

It's about the size of a G43X or perhaps a PPS M2 with the 8 round mag inserted. It uses a simple internal hammer design and is blowback operated.

One thing you Walther folks might appreciate is that it utilizes paddle mag release levers. In the box, they include a 1/2 x 28 adapter for your suppressor.

It retains Kel-Tec's infamous industrial aesthetic appearance, it's pretty much held together by torx screws but if you're familiar with Kel-Tec..it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Disassembly is a breeze, it's nearly identical to taking a PPK apart. The only difference is you have to pull two tabs down like a Glock as well.

My first range trip was with Federal bulk high velocity ammo. 36gr copper plated hollow points. It ran perfectly with this. The real question was whether or not it would cycle subsonic suppressor oriented ammo.

My second time out was with CCI Quiet, 45gr 800 FPS rounds. The difference in recoil was quite noticeable, but the P17 still fed and ejected it properly.

In a way, the P17 may be the answer to a question nobody asked, but it has been a pleasure to shoot so far and is becoming one of my favorite pistols.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p17.jpg (301.4 KB, 8 views)
Redcat94 likes this.
ActionExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-09-2020, 04:14 AM   #2

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionExpress View Post
it utilizes paddle mag release levers.
Very interesting.

How are the magazines to load ? Is there a button to pull down the follower ? My PMR30 magazines are a pain to load more than a few rounds at a time.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:55 AM   #3

ActionExpress .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcat94 View Post
Very interesting.

How are the magazines to load ? Is there a button to pull down the follower ? My PMR30 magazines are a pain to load more than a few rounds at a time.
The mags are quite easy to load, there's a nice little notch on the top to line up the rim of the case and slide them in. There is no button to pull the follower down, and I can't say I wish it had one because they're so easy to load.

I haven't tried it yet, but my LCP .22 came with a little speed loader than also isn't really necessary, but might work on these mags as well.
Redcat94 likes this.
ActionExpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Search tags for this page

kel tec p17 release date

Click on a term to search for related topics.