Hearing Protection - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #11

chandler5566 .22
Marking the day I wanted to provide awareness of the following Vet owned and managed company known as Safety Glasses USA. While the name appears to be limited to safety glasses once you scan their site it becomes very clear that they are truly universal in accessory products including the gel ea muff replacements shown in the link. All employees are former vets and virtually all products and materials are Made in the USA!

I discovered them while searching for replacement muffs to eliminate headache pain caused by my factory Howard Leight L3 hearing protectors which came with the typical foam muffs. The gel muffs are designed to allow the eyeglass "temples" to pass over the muff to prevent the muff pressure from pressing them into the skull and yet ensure a full and complete seal around the ear. They definitely perform as described.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/noi...-for-earmuffs/
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #12
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
... Still prefer having nothing interfere with stock weld with a rifle, and the plugs answer that question.
Moon
Right!

And when they get scuzzy, toss them into a mesh bag from the grocery store (the kind that lemons and clementines are sacked in), knot it onto a rack in the dishwasher and run the dishes. Remove the bag before the dryer comes on. The plugs come out beautifully clean and soft.

Waste not, want not.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #13

surrealone .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Still prefer having nothing interfere with stock weld with a rifle, and the plugs answer that question.
As does a suppressor.
BartCarter likes this.
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #14
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
As does a suppressor.
Yes, but only if you want to pay the penalty of extra weight and length. I don't.

Now I do realize that there have been great advances in suppressors in recent years, and the latest ones may be more tolerable. But the ones I sampled a couple years ago (sorry, didn't note the make & model) fitted to a standard AR-15 were nonetheless painful to shoot without ear protection of some sort.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #15

surrealone .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
Yes, but only if you want to pay the penalty of extra weight and length. I don't.

Now I do realize that there have been great advances in suppressors in recent years, and the latest ones may be more tolerable. But the ones I sampled a couple years ago (sorry, didn't note the make & model) fitted to a standard AR-15 were nonetheless painful to shoot without ear protection of some sort
Mike,
I run either a Silencerco Omega 300 or a Silencero Hybrid 46 . I tend to prefer the Omega on my long guns unless its one that requires the Hybrid. Key to this is the Hybrid is longer and chunkier to be able to do a decent job suppressing .45 ACP, 458 SOCOM, and 45-70 GOV. I do, by the way, wear 3m EAR plugs even when shooting these last two suppressed, as they're just damn loud even with a suppressor. But for everything else, the suppressor yields volume levels that I don't find painful, at all. No ringing later, either...

Note that the Omega adds ~14oz of weight and ~7 inches to length while the Hybrid adds ~17oz of weight and ~7.8 inches of length. Both of these tend toward >= 30dB noise reduction -- depending, of course, on what load/caliber you're shooting. With quick detach mounts, these need not add length when moving through brush to/from a stand; i.e. one can quickly add them after getting into the stand.

The foregoing are tradeoffs I happily make when shooting from a bench on a private range … and when I'm hunting and need my natural hearing to be unimpeded (as well as independent of batteries that run out or fail). I especially enjoy running the Omega on a 10" barreled .300 AAC pistol with a PDW brace when I hunt with it.

As you rightly suggest, Hearing protection is all about tradeoffs and what does or doesn't work for your needs. Out of curiosity, would such weight and length concerns be an issue for you when bench shooting or hunting? If so, I'd love to know why for each of those scenarios, as I can't see weight or length mattering much when bench shooting ... and, as previously noted, length is a non-issue when moving through brush when quick detach mounts are in play. (Weight I can see if you have to hump a long way when hunting...)

As for suppressed pistol fire -- I don't do much of that, since most of my pistols aren't outfitted with suppressor height sights. However, when I elect to do so with pistols that have standard sights, I swap in a threaded barrel and sacrifice on accuracy -- to ring steel at reasonable distances where sighting over the top of the suppressor is 'good enough'. That's just fun plinking stuff...
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member

Last edited by surrealone; 11-12-2019 at 09:15 PM.
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Tags
earplugs, hearing protection