Trap Essentials? Shotgun? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #1

Boogs .22
Trap Essentials? Shotgun?

Trap is not something I considered myself ever having an interest it, but that has recently changed. Plenty of trigger time under my belt, but since I was a single digit youngster, almost none of it has been spent shooting trap.

Have read several websites on essential gear, but am seeking general input regarding starting off, or specifically, actual make/models of shotguns to purchase that are trap specific.

First time going in over 2 decades, I had brought my 20g. 870 Express and 12g. 870 Wingmaster and shot low 20s, but got those snobby looks from those with pretty breakactions.

Seems U/O is the way to go, with models starting around $500 that look appealing, going upwards of $1,500+.

Any input from those with some experience? I adopt the "buy the best you can afford" philosophy, but unwilling to spend high-end AR15 money on something I am completely new at.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #2

chandler5566 .22
I haven't shot trap in decades but this I know....the guns you purchased are absolutely as good as the expensive over/under. I used a Remington 20ga pump and while not in the masters class could easily average mid 20's. My uncle who was a master and also shot a pump 20.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #3

RogueTS1 .22
Practice up and then let your shooting do the talking. Do not worry about the snobbery. Better guns do not make better shooters. Better shooters do not snob newbies to the club either. Go have fun; trap at a good club, is great fun and a wonderful experience.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
Supporting Member

Pudge .22
I get the assumption most of your trigger time has been with pistols.

So challenge your snobby friends to a round whilst shooting with a Taurus Judge with 410 shells. Of course you can practice up on the sly first, then see who is snobby.

BTW, I was born and raised and my children born and raised in Northern Illinois (La Salle county)

Pudge

Edit: Forgot to mention. This is more feasible with skeet, but after the trap league shooting was over some of us used to do this where everyone stood right behind the trap house for about 10 rounds just for fun. It actually sharpens shooters reflexes because you have to get the bird quickly before it gets out of range for the Judge.

Last edited by Pudge; 10-21-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Pudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #5

Jimbo80 .22
A proper shotgun is important in trap shooting which is about the total experience not just scores. A good gun adds to the experience.

You wouldn't go wrong with a 12ga 30" Beretta Silver Pigeon. At $1600 NIB you'll have a quality gun that won't break the bank or get as much of the snob treatment.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:11 AM   #6

WaterDR Unproven
I don’t shoot trap but u do shoot sporting clays. I use a 1963 Browning A5. I feel like the guy with the old mustang parked next to a brand new Corvette. The mustang gets the same amount of looks.

Paid $300 for the gun. I just got an old 1100 that I cleaned up. I prefer the autos.

I am not cheap per se as I have some pricey guns but I shoot as well as those with the fancy guns.

If I wanted to get really serious about pigeons I would probably find a nicer gun.
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:44 AM   #7

ActionExpress .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogs View Post
First time going in over 2 decades, I had brought my 20g. 870 Express and 12g. 870 Wingmaster and shot low 20s, but got those snobby looks from those with pretty breakactions.

Seems U/O is the way to go, with models starting around $500 that look appealing, going upwards of $1,500+.
Unless you're shooting doubles trap, you don't really need an O/U but if you want to try other clay games then an o/u makes sense, as do autos.

There is a trap model 870, they're very popular. Just makes sure the length of pull is correct before you buy anything, that's important when it comes to shotguns.
Jimbo80 likes this.
ActionExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #8

WaterDR Unproven
Here is my $300 1100 🙂

I had to spend two hours cleaning it and getting it to run. I bought some cheap plastic furniture for it.

Also re-blued a few scratches and ceramic coated it. All in...$375.

In truth, I over paid. Didn’t know it was as bad as it was. But I have a lot of extra parts including a tube speed loading equipment that I don’t plan to use.

Will use it for sporting clays and 3 gun.

Last edited by WaterDR; 10-22-2019 at 09:18 AM.
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:36 PM   #9

rbdjr .22
I do not think it matters how much you $ spend on a trap gun? Rem 870, 1100, 1187,V3 all very popular and can be good trap guns, 870 can be a tank and hold up well to the continues pounding, I just recently got back into it after 35 years as my son showed some interest. so after shooting 3 times a week with a 1100, I now go shoot with my son, I bought him a Benelli SuperSport and after a few rounds with a 11/87, I now have a Browning 725,32"HR,Adjustable comb.( bought at Reeds outdoors after having one fit to me at a local trap shooting club and with some help. I now like it more than my 1100, or 1187.
More important then the brand is how the gun fits you. Have someone set you up its more important then buying a expensive gun and not being able to have it fit you properly and then struggling.
I find that a 60 year old and 21 year find lots of quality time shooting trap and to me is worth every cent as is pistol shooting with him also, plus Im sure my son will hopefully enjoy many types of shooting sports throughout his life time and maybe one day with his family also.
It really is some quality time for me to have that kind of interest and competition and learning from each other and many friends at the trap shooting ranges that are happy to share. I love pistol shooting for my lifetime and now also really enjoy shooting trap 2 or 3 times a week , especial when my son is home from college. Good Luck and break them all!
Boogs likes this.
Polymer80 PF940C RMR
Beretta 92FS Inox, CT Red laser grips
S&W PC Shield 9mm, CT Light/Green Laser
S&W 44mag 629 8"
Beretta 22 pistol
T/C Contender 30-30 scoped 10"
Dan Wesson 357 3 barrels
few of my favorites
NRA Life Member, NRA RSO
" It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
F.D.R.
rbdjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #10

gmen0101 .22
870 Wingmaster TB circa 1960's

I took my daughter trap shooting this past weekend and used my trusty OLD 870. After my round a couple of guys shooting O/U's came over and said, I haven't seen a perfect round in a while. I may have to go and pull out my 870!!
RogueTS1 likes this.
gmen0101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time