Beretta 81 BB from AIM - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2019, 08:08 AM   #1

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Beretta 81 BB from AIM

One of my son's friends from the police academy called me earlier this week and wanted to buy a used Taurus .357 Magnum revolver sight-unseen to have it shipped. While Taurus revolvers can be great guns, it is also too often hit-or-miss with their quality control and their customer service had been complained about on all gun forums. He just wanted an inexpensive gun to keep in the car and did not want yet another Glock or SIG Sauer.

Since he is former military and had always liked shooting the Beretta M9, I recommended the Beretta 81BB in .32 ACP that AIM is selling for $249 now, with the select option being $269 (which is sold out now). He chose the select option and the gun came in with USPS yesterday, shipping was about $14. It appears to have been barely fired but has some slight storage marks from bouncing of sliding around.

His concern, that it was not a serious defense round was soothed when I told him that my great uncle shot and killed an attacker with one shot in the 1920s and that the Beretta had a staggered 12 round mag.

It points very well and has pretty decent sights and I think that these are an excellent value in the surplus market!

Old 08-31-2019, 10:18 AM   #2

Kar98 .22
These are great guns and a great value but I already have more calibers than I got guns and I don't need another one, lol.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:56 AM   #3

GeoNole94 .22
Yeah, I saw those on Gunbroker and considered it, but I am not a .32 hound like Gonzo
Andyd_is_PzGren likes this.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:11 PM   #4

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNole94 View Post
Yeah, I saw those on Gunbroker and considered it, but I am not a .32 hound like Gonzo
I also passed on them. It is a good deal, though, and the double action on the gun that I received is really impressive! Nevertheless, I have more than enough guns and also try not to branch out to too many manufacturers and calibres.

By the way, I have one of my reloading presses set up and ready for some more 9mm Police after reloading some 8x57 IS yesterday .
Old 08-31-2019, 01:50 PM   #5

Kar98 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd_is_PzGren View Post
I also passed on them. It is a good deal, though, and the double action on the gun that I received is really impressive! Nevertheless, I have more than enough guns and also try not to branch out to too many manufacturers and calibres.

By the way, I have one of my reloading presses set up and ready for some more 9mm Police after reloading some 8x57 IS yesterday .

Dude, I have like 750 rounds of 8mm Mauser surplus ammo. On five round strippers in cloth bandoliers. 1940s Turkish production. I'd trade them for .308
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:48 PM   #6

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Dude, I have like 750 rounds of 8mm Mauser surplus ammo. On five round strippers in cloth bandoliers. 1940s Turkish production. I'd trade them for .308
I have a little bit more, maybe 1,500 to 2,000 of different surplus, lots of FNM and Israeli boxer primed stuff.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #7

BlitzPig .22
Interesting you brought this up, I just got back from the range where I fired the Model 81 (not BB) that I recently picked up from AIM...

This was a "select" grade as well. I added a set of brand new Beretta 84 grips, just because I feel they add a touch of class to an already handsome pistol, and I also was lucky enough to get two brand new model 81 mags from the Beretta store before they sold out.

I just put 200 flawless rounds though it. All FMJ.

50 S&B
50 GECO
50 Fiocchi
50 PMC

I knew that the S&B and GECO would be good to go, but I had doubts about the Fiocchi, and none of my other 32s will digest more than 1 round of PMC without choking, but this little Beretta ate them all like candy.

It's very smooth in it's operation and it's an accurate little blaster to boot.
The sights are awfully tiny, but I still managed. I think this is the best value per dollar of any firearm I have ever purchased.

If any are left when I get back from vacation I may pick up another.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #8

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
BiltzPig, that is a nice gun that you got there, the 81 is pretty much the pinnacle in the development of traditional metal framed .32ACP and .380 ACP pistols and even a tad nicer and more shootable than the old model 70/71.

The 81 BB has better sights than the 81 and I also recommended it to the cop for the value received. He likes the gun but pointed out how stiff the recoil spring is and how hard pulling the slide back is - and the BB has also a few more serrations to help gripping that slide!

Not concentrating on problems but solutions, you can always cock the hammer first and reduce the weight of the pull by that.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #9

BlitzPig .22
If I had known there were BBs in the pipeline, I would have waited and got one of those. Not unhappy with this one though, at all.
Andyd_is_PzGren likes this.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #10

Jimbo80 .22
I picked up an 81 from Classic last week. It was such an awesome pistol and value I ordered a BB from Gander that will be here Wednesday. This is one of if not the best surplus deals in a looong time and in my book a no brainer buy.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Search tags for this page
a beretta model 81-bb pistol
aim beretta bb
beretta 81
beretta 81 bb

beretta 81 vs 81bb

beretta 81bb vs 81
Click on a term to search for related topics.