WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #21

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSprat View Post
Charter Arms Pitbull in 9mm does not use "clips." Interesting construction of cylinder allows use of rim-less 9mm. For being a revolver, it is OK and can shoot the 9mm that do not quite pass gauge after reloading. Try one if you have a chance to do so.
Thanks Jacksprat. How well goes that Charter Arms system work? Do you find it temperamental? Finicky?
halfmoonclip likes this.
Jimmo952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-15-2019, 12:16 AM   #22

zaitcev .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmo952 View Post
How well goes that Charter Arms system work? Do you find it temperamental? Finicky?
I only have a .45 ACP Pitbull, but just in case: its mechanism works fine, but has caveats. The biggest is, because the cartridge has to push a spring-loaded extractor out of the way, using a speedloader is not possible. I use 1911 magazines to reload in place of speed strips.

The quality of the gun is somewhat questionable to me. First, the barrel is rifled using a broach, and it has ferrocious chatter marks. Second, on my example the barrel was unscrewing itself gradually when firing. Gunsmiths were unable to fix the issue, but fortunately the factory did. Third, one of the screws was not tightened. But when I tightened it, hammer jammed. Apparently they machined the hammer in the same thickness as the frame. I shimmed the revolver to allow operation with tightened screws. Overall, it's a functional novelty piece and in .45 caliber is decent snake gun. It is half the price and half the weight of Ruger Redhawk.
zaitcev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #23

JackSprat .22
Jimmo - 9mm PitBull: Rounds fired have been reloaded several times and some of the rims are no longer perfect. Once-in-a-while, a fired case slips past ejector star (within the cylinder).
The revolver serves a purpose and does so without having to find/have a second part(clip) in order to work.
JackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #24

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Jimmo - 9mm PitBull: Rounds fired have been reloaded several times and some of the rims are no longer perfect. Once-in-a-while, a fired case slips past ejector star (within the cylinder).
The revolver serves a purpose and does so without having to find/have a second part(clip) in order to work.
Thanks JackSprat. To me, one of the best attributes of a revolver is its reliability. I was curious if you've found the 9mm Putbull reliable. Sounds like mostly, with occasional ejection problems.

Is that a fair description?

Regards.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:05 PM   #25

halfmoonclip .22
Full confession; the 9mm Centennial had more to do with it being a Centennial than a 9mm. Really enjoy the humpback Smiths, and this one took serious looking on Gunbroker.

Objectively, the caliber in a revo can claim cheap ammo, and speedy reloads via the moonclips. These clips don't work overmuch well with longer cases, like a .38/.357. A charged 9mm moon slaps right in, just like a .45. The loaded moons are great for administrative loading/unloading.

The brass remains fine for reloading.

On the downside, there is the mooning/demooning business; extra moons (not cheap) are necessary before a range session. There is reputedly a 9mm AutoRim available, but I won't be shooting enough to justify the extra brass and inventory.

In the J-frame, recoil is surprisingly brisk, especially compared to a similar-weight auto.

My Centennial is part of what prompted friends to get their own versions.
Recoil is the downside to the idea; it just kicks more than it seems it should.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #26

zaitcev .22
Quote:
Do you have 6-round or 5-round version?
zaitcev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #27

mpgus .22
Never considered a wheel gun in 9mm. I reload 38,357 & 44 so cost of ammo doesn't come into play. I wouldn't have thought a heavier gun like the Ruger would of had to much recoil
mpgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #28

halfmoonclip .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgus View Post
... I wouldn't have thought a heavier gun like the Ruger would of had to much recoil
Not sure of the Ruger's model number, but it is one of the partially poly, not especially heavy examples.
I reload as well, tho' I've found throweight of the projectile is the major expense.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #29

JackSprat .22
9mm Pit Bull holds 5 rounds. I have yet to find a Pit Bull holding 6 rounds.
9mm Pit Bul seems reliable. Next time that I shoot it, I will measure the required trigger force and actual mass.
JackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #30

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Full confession; the 9mm Centennial had more to do with it being a Centennial than a 9mm. Really enjoy the humpback Smiths, and this one took serious looking on Gunbroker.

Objectively, the caliber in a revo can claim cheap ammo, and speedy reloads via the moonclips. These clips don't work overmuch well with longer cases, like a .38/.357. A charged 9mm moon slaps right in, just like a .45. The loaded moons are great for administrative loading/unloading.

The brass remains fine for reloading.

On the downside, there is the mooning/demooning business; extra moons (not cheap) are necessary before a range session. There is reputedly a 9mm AutoRim available, but I won't be shooting enough to justify the extra brass and inventory.

In the J-frame, recoil is surprisingly brisk, especially compared to a similar-weight auto.

My Centennial is part of what prompted friends to get their own versions.
Recoil is the downside to the idea; it just kicks more than it seems it should.
Moon

One of these days I'll pick one up. Its one of those guns I want, just because.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time