.380 defensive ammo - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2019, 08:55 AM   #1

Jimmo952 .22
.380 defensive ammo

I've recently reacquainted myself with the Glock 42. The dang thing is just so easy to get shots on target quickly and with rarapidity.

I've messed with small frame revolvers in that role for...well forever...but I find the G42 compelling.

I think I'll start carrying it at least occasionally.

Not having carried a .380 for some time, I'm a little out of the loop on the state of play in regards to .380 defensive ammo.

For you folks carrying a .380, what is the current thinking on .380 defense loads?

Also, I see there are +1 base plates available for the gun that seem to add little or no bulk over the Glock finger rest base plate.

Are these aftermarket +1 base plates (Pierce) generally considered reliable?

Regards
Jimmo952 is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #2

DukeIronHand .22
I found this to be most informative and well done.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/
spin40 and Jimmo952 like this.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #3

1942bull .22
I have a Remington RM380 for when deep concealment is required. Being a stickler about ammo choice I did a great deal of research on 380 ACP for self defense. The two links below connect with the best 380 testing I found. If you are going to carry 380 you need to watch the two videos. Watch the top link first. It reports the final results of a series of tests of the ammo. The entire series in on YT, but the link is the important one to watch. Then watch the other link. The tester finds a better option. That option is now my ammo: Lehigh Extreme Penetrator.

https://youtu.be/GNtPHYwcDts

https://youtu.be/LczfeWK9lHw
PPS1980 and Jimmo952 like this.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime
CCW Safe

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #4

spin40 .22
The Magtech 85gr Guardian Gold is my choice. As luck would have it, the ballistic tests for the .380 were conducted with a G42.

I selected the Magtech because of the bullet expansion at a 1000+ velocity and righteous penetration when you consider a .380 will not be used for distance shooting but rather up close and personal.
spin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #5

PPS1980 .22
Much more comfortable with Ammo Quest/Shootingthebull410 than with Lucky Gunner. Shootingthebull410 isn't hawking ammo and trying to maximize profits.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #6

Jimmo952 .22
Thanks guys. This is just the type of info I was looking for.

The Lehigh looks real good to me. Just not a lot of energy to work with in the 380acp. The Lehigh seems consistent while creating more tissue damage than FMJ.

I think I'll pick some up.

Thanks again guys.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #7

DukeIronHand .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
Much more comfortable with Ammo Quest/Shootingthebull410 than with Lucky Gunner. Shootingthebull410 isn't hawking ammo and trying to maximize profits.
So. They are lying about the numbers and using altered photos and vids?
Old 06-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #8

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post
So. They are lying about the numbers and using altered photos and vids?
They are two of the better sources on YouTube. Paul Harrel is another guy I respect. Different approach, but good.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #9

surrealone .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmo952 View Post
For you folks carrying a .380, what is the current thinking on .380 defense loads?
.380 ammo thinking hasn't changed much in the last 10 years. Some people suggest carrying only FMJ in .380 because they believe JHP will clog and, thus, behave the same as FMJ. I, however, am not one who has bought into that.

Realistically, I'll take potential for expansion while under-penetrating a little bit (i.e. JHP) … over zero expansion and a much higher potential for over-penetration (i.e. FMJ) … every day of the week. Why? Because my fear of an over-penetrating round going through the target and harming an innocent outweighs my fear of not being able to fire follow-up rounds if the first shot under-penetrates. Key to this is that in the latter situation, it's most likely me in harm's way of the attacker … as opposed to an innocent in harm's way because of me (per the former worry).

My BUG is chambered in .380, and when I'm in shorts, flip-flops, etc. while out on the boat or the like, it ends up being my primary carry because I can't readily conceal much more without looking way out of place due to dressing around my EDC. It is loaded out with 6+1 Speer .380 90gr GDHP rounds -- which should be more than enough stopping power against 1-3 attackers provided that I do my part regarding shot placement.

Speer .380 90gr GDHP's are known to be reliable expanders that retain their weight quite well. If you choose to carry them, you should expect several inches less penetration than you'd get from a 9mm 127gr or 147gr Federal HST.

I am in no way affiliated with or supported by Speer, by the way.

I've heard and read good things about Hornady's 90gr .380 Critical Defense round, as well -- specifically that the rounds are also reliable expanders that retain their weight:
sunny08 likes this.
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member

Last edited by surrealone; 06-14-2019 at 10:01 PM.
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:36 PM   #10

halfmoonclip .22
Used the Gold Dot .380s for years, and have since switched to the Hornady XTPs. Both remain good choices, and nothing will turn a .380 into a death ray. But then, no handgun round is really a death ray.
As regards the mag extension, I'm a real skeptic. It is a much discussed item over at Glock Talk, with supporters and doubters.
Personally, my 42s have always run 100% with unmodified factory mags, and I hate to mess with that batting average.
For the OP, presume your 42 is current production, which will give it all the good updates. Early guns had really heavy triggers (8-9lbs!) and issues with the slide stop engaging while there were rounds in the mag. Current production avoids these problems.
If you buy additional magazines, make sure they are marked '03'. There are still older mags out there on dealers' shelves, tho' Glock will swap you for 03s if you send them in.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time