.380 defensive ammo - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2019, 04:07 AM   #11

Jimmo952 .22
Thanks guys. My G42 is completely reliable (so far) with a decent Glock trigger. It's not as good a trigger as my G40 10mm has but its shootable.

I must have got lucky and got a Gen 2 gun.

I am thinking of buying another G42. Guns that I shoot a lot and carry I like to have two of.

In buying a new G42 gun, how can I be sure I'm getting a gun manufactured post updates? Is their a serial number range I should be looking for?

Good tip on the mags. I just bought a few mags...I need to check them for 03....

As far as the mag extensions go...I think I'll pass. Any whiff of reduced reliability makes them not worth it to me.
I'll just work on my mag changes with the little guy.
Jimmo952 is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #12

Jimmo952 .22
I like the idea of a little science behind the choice. Though I suspect if the tests were run again, there would be slight differences in performance from the first run.

For me...I'm looking for something with the mix of adequate penetration with the potential for better tissue damage than ball.

In the 380, it looks like choices must be made as it is hard to get consistent penetration and expansion from the round.

For me personally, I'll error on the side of penetration over expansion.

This leads me to the Lehigh defence extreme penetrator. Good penetration but with less chance of over penetration than ball. Better tissue damage potential than ball. More likely to penetrate deeply than many hollerpoints. The round will be my choice if it feeds reliably in the G42. I suspect it will.

No, I do not have illusions any 380 bullet will turn the gun into a death ray. Still...I want the odds going in my favor to the extent I can control them.

Yes, I practice regularly with my carry gun. I understand the importance of placing your shots. That is a big reason I like the G42. It just so dam easy to hit with. Way easier than the small revolvers i shot and carried as a BUG for years. This is especially true when we are talking about revolvers weighing anywhere near what a G42 weighs.

Thanks again to everyone who commented. Much appreciated.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #13

DE Pistole .22
For EDC, the Glock 42 is the best PPK ever made.
halfmoonclip likes this.
DE Pistole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #14

halfmoonclip .22
Jimmo, unless you encounter a G42 that's been gathering dust on a dealer's shelf, you won't run into the older models. Two easy checks; trigger pull should be in the 5-5.5 lb range, and magazines should be 03s.
The 42 is the finest small defense pistol extant, IMHO.
And don't feel bad about a spare...I have three.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:59 PM   #15

ActionExpress .22
I really like the 42, but I love my Colt Pocketlite Mustang. Hornady XTP 95-100gr ammo works great.
ActionExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #16

fullybalanced .22
Hands down Lehigh Defense. Iíve conducted some very unscientific testing of my own. ďgenerally speakingĒ hollow points tent to clog and not expand, the red tipped Hornady donít always expand... the Lehigh do a lot of damage. I make no claims that your results will or will not mirror my own. I carry a Colt Mustang XSP and always Lehigh Defense. I bet my life on it...in the summer. Otherwise itís a Walther PPQ M2 45, with Lehigh Defense.
fullybalanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:25 AM   #17

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionExpress View Post
I really like the 42, but I love my Colt Pocketlite Mustang. Hornady XTP 95-100gr ammo works great.
I had one of the original Colt Mustangs and sold it like a fool. It wasn't the most accurate gun but it was accurate enough and very reliable. A nice little gun for sure.

The general quality and accuracy of the gun were maybe not quite up to the Sig P230 or HK P7K3s I had at the time but...it was more reliable and concealable than either of them.

I went ahead and ordered some of that Lehigh defense 380 and will see if it feeds ok in my Glock 42.

I'd be comfortable as well with the Hornady XTP load. It also seems like a great choice.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #18

Lic0rice .22
Precision One 90 gr XTP. Ammo Quest test darn near everything on the market in .380.

Also, Lehigh Extreme Penetrator if I'm not worried about over penetration.

Rossi 38 Special
S&W M&P 15
Wife's:
Sig P238
Ruger LCP ii
Remington 11-87 20G
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #19

halfmoonclip .22
This topic is beaten like a rented mule on Glock Talk and some other forums. I've given up chasing the latest-greatest. Pick one of the viable suggestions, shoot enough of it to make sure your 42 likes it. It should. They're not picky.
Moon
surrealone likes this.
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:54 AM   #20

ssivbreger .22
Hi
Not bad to remember that the short nine is not the best choice for self-defense. ESPECIALLY with EXPANSIVE bullets.
Yes, with an accurate hit, the 9х17(18) FMJ bullet will do its job no worse than 9x19, but there is not much energy in it from the outset.
Expansive bullets too often show unpredictable behavior when injured. Even new 9x19 army round.
I think that the best choice would be such a cartridge, which ABSOLUTELY RELIABLY WORKS in your own gun.
First of all, the gun must shoot and the bullet hit the right place. This is achieved only by preparing the shooter and weapons.

Everything else is advertising. And no one shooting at the marmalade will show the truth of the picture.
ssivbreger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time