One and Done AR Thoughts - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #11

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
The more I see/hear about the POF Revolution 308, the more I like it.

There's another vid, this guy talks about the San Bernardino PD having an all original POF Revolution 308 with over 60k rounds, and still shooting sub M.O.A. groups (under 1" @ 100 yds). They CAN'T wear it out, cause it to fail, or shoot + M.O.A groups.

I'm ordering the POF 308 Revolution this weekend, will decide on a 2nd gas operated AR in 5.56 soon.

The POF 308 Rev is a must have IMHO.
hayduke13 likes this.
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 PM   #12

halfmoonclip .22
Lifesize makes an excellent point; overthinking this is pretty easy.
OP, First question; why .308? Unless you're hunting, probably no need.
As Watcher rightly noted, DI 5.56 guns are the norm; in some coming bad time, commonality of parts (even well short of SHTF) will be handy.
I always put in for range duty in my old Guard outfit; at the end of the day, range crew got to shoot up any unused ammo.
My M16A1 saw more than its share of mag dumps and rotsa shooting. It was dirty afterwards, but heat wasn't an issue. For a civvie shooting semi-auto, it just doesn't signify.

DI gets dirtier, but the dirt all stays in one place, and if you keep it wet, it will keep running. Fieldstrip is easy, as is cleaning.
Personal advice; just get a Colt M4gery or its pencil barreled cousin. It will be mil-spec (in the real sense), and a Prancing Pony will be worth more down the road. The logo and known quantity count.
Said Colts can be found for less than a grand currently; get a gun, 6-12 quality mags (GI are fine) and some factory ammo. Green tips are fine, and more is better.
Pistol caliber carbines are another question, and subsonic 9s can be suppressed. They are much cheaper to feed than a Blackout.
But enough advice for now.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #13

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Lifesize makes an excellent point; overthinking this is pretty easy.
OP, First question; why .308? Unless you're hunting, probably no need.
As Watcher rightly noted, DI 5.56 guns are the norm; in some coming bad time, commonality of parts (even well short of SHTF) will be handy.
I always put in for range duty in my old Guard outfit; at the end of the day, range crew got to shoot up any unused ammo.
My M16A1 saw more than its share of mag dumps and rotsa shooting. It was dirty afterwards, but heat wasn't an issue. For a civvie shooting semi-auto, it just doesn't signify.

DI gets dirtier, but the dirt all stays in one place, and if you keep it wet, it will keep running. Fieldstrip is easy, as is cleaning.
Personal advice; just get a Colt M4gery or its pencil barreled cousin. It will be mil-spec (in the real sense), and a Prancing Pony will be worth more down the road. The logo and known quantity count.
Said Colts can be found for less than a grand currently; get a gun, 6-12 quality mags (GI are fine) and some factory ammo. Green tips are fine, and more is better.
Pistol caliber carbines are another question, and subsonic 9s can be suppressed. They are much cheaper to feed than a Blackout.
But enough advice for now.
Moon

I need to sleep on this.

A TON of info to absorb/process.

All the info is greatly appreciated forum members, I've gotten more AR data to process over the past 24 hrs then the +5 decades the AR has existed.
halfmoonclip and GeoNole94 like this.
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2019, 03:51 AM   #14

WaterDR .22
I busted my AR cherry a few months ago. Had no clue where to begin.

I am not the right person to talk about quality ARs......so let’s get that straight. But I do like nice stuff.

So while you guys are talking about Ferrari’s and Lamborghinis, I bought a Chevy lol

Paid $300 for a new PSA, stuck a fancy $30 scope on it, and upgraded the trigger with a $12 spring.

Anyway, it goes bang, shoots well and is fun as hell.

I don’t have anything to add to this debate....but I will keep reading and learning from you guys.

But as much as I enjoy this AR, this will likely be my one and done one 🙂
WaterDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:11 AM   #15

Jaake .22
While less expensive then some me of your options the Savage Recon is a nice option. I’ve seen it sub $800 and you don’t sacrifice anything. Melonite barrel, 5 r rifling chambered in .223 wylde- all supposed to create a more accurate rifle. It has Blackhawk furniture.

I shot my buddy’s and it’s a nice well put together AR. Bolt Carrier group is well staked and hp tested and mag part. Inspected.

Is shoots softer then my Springfield Saint which I guess has to do with them having the gas system set up better.
Jaake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #16

GeoNole94 .22
Whatever AR you get, the one thing that is typically lacking is a decent trigger. The Milspec trigger on my M400 was heavy and anything but smooth out of the box. Although I knew it would eventually improve, I took a friend’s advice and got the G2S, my only add-on other than a holographic Eotech red-dot sight. One word for Geissele triggers: WOW!

https://geissele.com/rifle-parts/low.../triggers.html
Old 02-23-2019, 11:00 PM   #17

MMA10mm .22
DUA, There are SO many choices and SO many uses for an AR, my advice to you is to determine what you want to do with it, first. Choices can include any and all of the following, plus more I may not have thought of:
  • Deer/mid-size game hunting
    Hog hunting
    Prairie Dog hunting
    Large Varmint hunting (Coyote is big in my area)
    Long-Range Precision
    3-gun matches
    Home Defense (inside the home)
    Zombie Defense (social break-down/Civil War/TEOTWAWKI)
    Range fun

A one-and-done AR can do 2, 3, or even 4 of these, but not all.

If I was closer to TX, I'd come over and build you one.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:02 AM   #18

SgtV .22
Get a Colt in 5.56 and another one with a Wilson 458 Socom upper.
A superb crisp trigger can be made/added to the gun which will increase your Ponies smile.
Start reloading and have fun.
halfmoonclip likes this.

Last edited by SgtV; 02-24-2019 at 01:09 AM.
SgtV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #19
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Lifesizepotato's remarks in post #6 above are spot on. This thread has turned into an excuse for everyone to voice their pet infatuations, rationalizations and prejudices. Most of the reasons they give are Walter Mitty theorizing.

For the shooter who wants to make his first AR purchase, but is bedazzled and befuddled with choices, there is a simple and practical solution. Ignore all the trendy stuff and buy a "standard" no-frills 5.56mm rifle --the brand doesn't matter, as long as the name is familiar-- and shoot it A LOT to find out what you like and what you don't. After a year or two you'll figure out what works for you and fits your particular needs, and where you should go from there. In the end you'll probably save money by not making bad choices.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #20

Jimbo80 .22
I get where DUA is coming from buying a top quality rifle right from the start.

Last edited by Jimbo80; 02-24-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Search tags for this page

ruger ar 556

Click on a term to search for related topics.