WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree215Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #151

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA10mm View Post
DUA! Wow man, you have stuck with it and done the research! Good for you, (although I’m not surprised - you strike me as a smart guy, with all the P5 collecting...). You have done better than 97% of new AR builders/buyers.

My very quick/short thoughts:

Pistons are best when one is looking for heavy amounts of fire (full-auto, mag-dumps, binary trigger rifles, super-big prairie dog towns) OR for AR-10 platforms (for .308 or 6.5, I do not have experience with some of the esoteric AR-10-sized calibers). In other words, heavy amounts of gas and heat conditions.

DI is best when the goal is a lightweight set-up. (I just did one for my daughter.) Lightweights can be very accurate, but they must be built right and not expected to keep accuracy with mag dumps. Quality of the lightweight barrel is very important.

For a “basic” AR rifle, either will work, and the advantages/disadvantages become muddy arguments. It basically comes down to the hype the person believes, as most people, like you found, can’t provide data or even explain the factors.

POF is a very impressive AR manufacturer who does not get enough attention/credit. When my buddy and I stopped by their booth at the NRA convention years ago and saw their innovation, we became customers and admirers. You’ve done great DUA!
MMA10mm, I think you've boiled down the pluses and minus well.

The new battle rifles being produced around the world these days tend to be piston designs. I'm talking about the newest stuff produced by the Germans,Belgians,Israelis,Poles,Czechs, ... There is a reason for that.

If someone is going for a super lightweight AR, the DI system has advantage there.

If I want an AR style varmint gun or you are going to Camp Perry, I'd personally lean DI.

Both systems work though. Pick your poison. Maybe think about which attributes are most important to you.

Very few of us will be fighting for extended periods in the forests of Europe, going to Camp Perry or carry the rifle enough to where that lightest possible weight AR is advantageous.

The AR platform is very mature. Buy a top tier one and it will most likely be very reliable, more accurate and more durable than you ever need.

But buy one. Maybe buy two.
Jimmo952 is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #152

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Here's that 70k round P308 FA piston gun that just keeps running, the barrel is producing groups ~1.1 MOA (with a few minor items replaced, minor as in under $200 in parts. I know because I've purchased full gas piston system and BC Group rebuild kits for my P308).

https://pof-usa.com/torture/

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 10-08-2019 at 02:16 PM.
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #153

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
First cool weather day in Texas, had over 110 straight days of temps exceeding 90.

Cleaned the AR-10 (went shooting over the weekend, mounted and used the BUIS for the first time).

Grabbed some pics of the BUIS sights I chose for the P308 (after over 6 months of looking). The POF "backbone" design increases the distance between barrel C/L and top rail by ~7/16" (when compared to "standard" ARs). This requires "low rise" sights like those used by some HK rifles.

After all that searching I came to the conclusion that the POF (Frank D) and Diamondhead designed Micro-D sights were the way to go. I was very surprised with how accurate the rifle was with these sights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03578 (2).jpg (172.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03576 (2).jpg (101.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03574 (2).jpg (113.5 KB, 17 views)

Old 10-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #154

GeoNole94 .22
That is a bunch of hardware, DUA. To reiterate my earlier comment, you really need something a bit lighter and more mobile in 5.56 to complement that big old .308
Old 10-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #155

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNole94 View Post
That is a bunch of hardware, DUA. To reiterate my earlier comment, you really need something a bit lighter and more mobile in 5.56 to complement that big old .308

Hoping to see some good prices on my (and my two sons) "wish list" guns during/after the Christmas and New Years holidays.

I grabbed that pair of HK P7 M13 (shooter and safe queen) for REALLY good prices in late '18/early '19. Seems that's a good time to buy, people traveling/holiday shopping, budgets tight (due to holiday spending), focus on friends/family/loved ones.....'tis the season for firearm bargains.
MMA10mm likes this.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #156

MMA10mm .22
Now that you have a “Battle-Rifle,” I recommend what I like to call a “CQB Pistol.”

I have since upgraded this to an SBA3 brace, which is 100x better than the original. Sorry, all I have is this 2-yr-old pic. I have 3 pistols now, and love them.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #157

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
As I suspected back in March (The Gun Dock had 4 available after my purchase), Mod#01221 in no longer produced/available from POF.

A friend who was out at the shooting get together two weeks ago contacted me to find out who I got mine thru (TGD), he is unable to locate a NIB gun anywhere.

Seems those 4 WERE the last available examples.

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 10-19-2019 at 02:51 PM.
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #158

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Now that the long term reviews of the Magpul GEN M3 LR/SR D-50 Drum mags have been done (ALL positive, Ks of rounds, some without ANY cleaning), and the price has come down ~30%, I picked up two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-50.jpg (50.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #159

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Going to try the Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28 on the AR-10.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TrijiconSPUHR.jpg (65.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TrijiconSPUHR1.jpg (80.1 KB, 5 views)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Search tags for this page

ruger ar 556

Click on a term to search for related topics.