https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...hooting-3.html
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #102
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Hard to beat the Scorp for the money, but you will want a 'brace' or a stock. The OEM folder is a sweetheart, but will cost you a tax stamp with a short barrel. Mine goes bang all the time, and they come with decent irons, but a red dot makes more sense (and ol' Moon doesn't like the words 'battery' and 'gun' in one sentence). The proprietary mags are cheap and good.
All kinds of bling available as well.

Moon
I'm not knocking them, but all these horse pistol-sized two-handers with or without arm braces are just range toys. With a shoulder stock they have some practical use but if they are pure blowback guns they are cheek-pounders.

For defensive application, one can do a lot more damage with a solid, well-balanced semi-auto pistol with good sights.

JMO, which you are free to summarily dismiss.

M
GeoNole94 and pilkguns like this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #103

GeoNole94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
For defensive application, one can do a lot more damage with a solid, well-balanced semi-auto pistol with good sights.
Likewise, I never understood the nearly universal choice by mass-murderers to use an AR in close confines such as schools, movie theatres, etc.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #104

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
I find it hard to understand ANY aspect of the thought process of these mass shooting nut-cases, among them, weapon choice.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #105
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNole94 View Post
Likewise, I never understood the nearly universal choice by mass-murderers to use an AR in close confines such as schools, movie theatres, etc.
I think it's because they are mostly amateurs, influenced not by experience or training, but by what they see in movies or in video games.

M
Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #106

halfmoonclip .22
Personally, I've never found the blowback guns objectionable in recoil, and making hits under stress with a carbine easier than with a handgun. Concur entirely that they are about worthless (no matter how badmule it may look to shoot one from the hip) without a brace or stock. Without a stock, an ordinary handgun is better.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #107
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Personally, I've never found the blowback guns objectionable in recoil,...
Moon
Moon, I don't think it's the amount of recoil per se, but the way it is poorly handled in closed-bolt pure-blowback "carbines" (or elephantine "pistols" with full or armrest stocks). I can comfortably spend an hour shooting a Mauser .375 H&H offhand without complaint. But the former are just nasty if you assume a firm cheek weld. The designers try to make the receiver as short as possible for compactness' sake, so there's not much travel to let the bolt exhaust itself by running out on the recoil spring(s). The recoiling mass is heavy because there's no locking system, and bringing it to a short halt transmits the impact to the shooter.

Also there is no benefit from advance primer ignition that is obtained from open-bolt operation; in a submachine gun the firing of the round occurs simultaneously with bolt closure, absorbing much of the recoil by stopping and reversing the momentum of the mass. Compared to closed-bolt "carbines", most SMGs have very little felt recoil. Even in closed-bolt SMGs with a locking system, recoil is mild, as the H&K MP5 demonstrates.

The newest SIG gun of this genre actually has a locking system (and a well-designed SMG magazine, not some elongated pistol mag). However, it is predictably more expensive than the CZ. I'd be interested in shooting one sometime.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 04-15-2019 at 11:02 AM. Reason: clarification and added thoughts
Old 04-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #108

halfmoonclip .22
Mike, your points are taken, and that difference in perceived recoil is illustrated between a locked breech G42 and a straight blowback PPK, both in .380.
That said, my two (current) blowback carbines, and a departed one (Colt 9mm, CZ Scorp and Beretta Storm) have never been troubling to shoot. The first two have double stack/double feed proprietary magazines; the last used 92-series double/single.
At least partially due to your advice,(and, far more, my own PCC jones) I picked up a locked breech MPX. It was pricey, as were its proprietary double stack/double feed mags ([email protected]!). There truly wasn't a huge diff in perceived recoil, and my example wasn't reliable, even after a trip to the mother ship. It is now departed.
Based on empirical experience, I'm good with blowback PCCs. They kick more than a pistol round should, but not enough to bother me.
Moon
Old 04-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #109

halfmoonclip .22
On reflection, a great deal of the perceived recoil of blowback carbines depends on the shape of the comb of the stock. The aforementioned Colt and Beretta have a straight buttstock, which prevented cheek bite.
The Scorpion has a stock that slopes up to the receiver, and low mounted (tho' good) irons. If you climb the stock in classic 'nose to the charging handle' fashion, the stock slope can beat your cheek. I've since fitted a red dot on a riser; the more upright cheek weld solves the problem. If the irons were my 'all the time', I'd get folding AR sights to mount on the rail; they have a higher sightline.
Moon
Old 04-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #110

SteveM .22
I'm hooked on the PCC's. The fun factor far outweighs anything else. I am now plotting on another upper that would be gas of some kind, have some of the parts needed on hand already. Below are the 2 that I am currently having lots of fun with. So far no problems, not any failures of any kind. I must say pretty good for the first 2 attempts. Both are set up to use HK MP5 magazines.

Top is 9mm, bottom is 7.65mm Luger. I've been using a 30 cal suppressor on the bottom one.

SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Search tags for this page

ruger ar 556

Click on a term to search for related topics.