WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #11

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03hemi View Post
lol. Funny you say that, a friend I buy guns from (FFL dealer) tells me about people wanting to sell him their "gun collections" all the time.
In his words, "Some people have a gun collection and others have a collection of guns." Big difference.
I started out as a shooter and bought the guns that gave me a competitive advantage. My Walther GSP was not stock but as much a Gehmann product as a Walther gun. With time I did not need to sell one gun to buy another and just kept the ones that are great shooters and have some features that I am interested in.

Imho a gun collection has to follow a theme. I have a humble collection of Korth revolvers and Anschutz 54 sporters, as well as Swiss handguns that captured my heart by their built quality and performance. Besides that I have an accumulation of firearms that takes up a lot of space in my safes.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #12

sunny08 .22
I started collecting revolvers in the late 60's. Then as time went on, started on semi auto handguns. And of course some rifles and shotguns in between.
Some high value, and the rest high value to me. A good friend over the years always bought firearms where the value compared to a basic run of the mill car. He'd buy usually two or three guns to my one. But he is happy with "his collection".
sunny08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #13

03hemi .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny08 View Post
I started collecting revolvers in the late 60's. Then as time went on, started on semi auto handguns. And of course some rifles and shotguns in between.
Some high value, and the rest high value to me. A good friend over the years always bought firearms where the value compared to a basic run of the mill car. He'd buy usually two or three guns to my one. But he is happy with "his collection".
Nice, some people have "no budget"
My rule of thumb is the gun must be one that will go up in value, not as in an investment because I never sell them and that's be a poor return on your dollar anyways, but just more than what I paid for it. As we know, guns go up and down with the current "political atmosphere" in charge, so this is factored in too, but I will pay market value for something I really want and not likely to run across in the near future. All my firearms are an inheritance to my sons, if they sell them, so be it, they have zero investment in them and I'll be dead and gone anyways. I hope they'll keep them (they're into guns too), but If it gives them a down payment on a house, they've served their purpose.
halfmoonclip and Jimbo80 like this.
03hemi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2019, 05:38 PM   #14

sunny08 .22
Ha! Budget was no concern before I got married. Couple of cool hot rods and gun purchases. As things go, this all changed when houses and a child came into the picture. A slow down in the purchase of guns which eventually came back in the last seven years or so. But pretty much all good now. Some guns still on the bucket list for the right price and condition. By the way, no matter what I buy, I shoot them all. I might shoot a few less than the others. But they have to function. I'm not a safe queen guy by definition.
halfmoonclip, Jimbo80 and 03hemi like this.
sunny08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #15

03hemi .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny08 View Post
Ha! Budget was no concern before I got married. Couple of cool hot rods and gun purchases. As things go, this all changed when houses and a child came into the picture. A slow down in the purchase of guns which eventually came back in the last seven years or so. But pretty much all good now. Some guns still on the bucket list for the right price and condition. By the way, no matter what I buy, I shoot them all. I might shoot a few less than the others. But they have to function. I'm not a safe queen guy by definition.
Typically me too, because 99% of my guns are bought used. However, if I come across a used one (I have one) that truly has never been shot outside the factory and I have others of the same which have been, I'll keep the pristine one un-shot and only "fondle" it. The only gun I have that fits this description is a 1975 PPK/S in 100% condition and has never been shot since the factory testing.
Jimbo80 likes this.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:32 AM   #16

amyacker .22
Looks Gorgeous... Congrates!!!
03hemi likes this.
amyacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #17

03hemi .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyacker View Post
Looks Gorgeous... Congrates!!!
Thank you, my name is 03hemi and I'm a gunaholic.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #18

03hemi .22
Has anybody been keeping up with the frenzied upward prices of the Hi Powers! Wow, they'll be the next "snake" guns in short time I believe? A 69 "T" Series with rug, in about the same shape and same date as mine just went for $1,725.00! A "Practical" although being a Portugal gun, went for $1,300! Lesson here, hold on to your Hi Powers, I think we're seeing the beginning of a trend here.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #19

Jimbo80 .22
I have been keeping an eye out for a nice Hi Power and have also noticed the upward trend.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #20

GonzoGeezer .22
So I guess my old stuff might actually be worth more than I paid. Good to know.

gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
**ISO P.38 ac42 mag 4848b, PPK mag 285129K/2, Erfurt Luger mag 0253Q**

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time