First Hangun, PPQ or PPS - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions > FAQ: Walther General Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By imaoldfart
  • 2 Post By Dj_Ziio
  • 2 Post By BJK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #1

Dj_Ziio .22
Question First Hangun, PPQ or PPS

I've spent the last couple of months researching many different striker style pistols. I initially was interested in purchasing a Glock mostly for the name recognition since I had done zero research, but after an exhaustive look at what was on offer from many different manufacturers I've narrowed my choice down to either a PPQ M2 or PPS M2, chambered in 9mm. I plan on taking an initial gun safety/training course with a conceal carry course soon after, but the courses I've found both suggest having your own weapon so that you developing better muscle memory.

I've read that its best to train on a full size weapon, rather than a compact and I was looking for some advice from a community that has the knowledge that I seek, which is definitely this forum. I plan on CCW once I'm fully familiarized with my choice and feel completely safe doing so but will probably use whatever I choose solely as a range gun for the first few months after purchase. I also hope to have the rest of the FOID card carrying members of my family train with whatever platform I choose on the range as well (no use for the card if you don't know how to properly use a weapon and none of them do).

Currently I'm leaning towards the PPQ but have noticed some complaints about printing while CCW. The PPS seems like it would be more comfortable to carry but may be less comfortable as a range/training weapon. Should this be something to be concerned about.

I understand there are many different options on both weapons, but I would like to know, as a first (and possibly only) firearm, which would be the better investment. I would love to shoot both before making a choice, but my local range doesn't rent any PPS models.
Dj_Ziio is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #2
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Being able to conceal carry a particular sized firearm is a very personal thing. Yes, size matters, BUT, not that much. I'm not a larger person, but I can carry a 4" PPQ or PPQ 45 or PPQ 5" all day long, concealed at 2:30ish under a 'one size larger' t-shirt. But to do this, body size and shape certainly come into play, as well as the particular type/s of clothes you'll be wearing. The holster is also very important as well as the belt location you'll be carrying (1:00, 2:00, 3:00, etc.). Things to consider for the holster, in addition to belt location, are ride height and cant.

All of these things need to work together to allow you to carry comfortably, AND concealed.

So, what works for one person, may not work for another.....just too many variables. You'll need to consider everything I said and do some experimenting and find 'what works for you'.

BTW, if I were you, I'd be picking the PPQ.
Redcat94 likes this.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #3

Redcat94 .22
I have both guns you're asking about and would pick the PPQ. It will be a much easier pistol to learn to shoot with and build your proficiency. With the right holster it can also be carried comfortably. The PPQ is my primary carry gun for most of the year.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #4

XRing .22
I would start with the PPQ. Concealed carry holster system are available.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #5

MMA10mm .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcat94 View Post
I have both guns you're asking about and would pick the PPQ. It will be a much easier pistol to learn to shoot with and build your proficiency. With the right holster it can also be carried comfortably. The PPQ is my primary carry gun for most of the year.
I have both pistols as well, and I'm a CCW instructor. I'm wondering if the rebate is playing into your decision? Your post implies you are a new shooter; if that is the case, I'd rather see you get a PPQ-22 or P-22, and use that for practice. Beware those who speak too heavily about muscle memory at this stage of your handgun education/experience. You need to build skills at this point, not muscle memory.

As far as which between the PPQ and PPS, I suggest you go to a gun store that has both, tell them your questions, and feel which better fits your hand. If it's a good store, they'll help. If it's a poor store, they'll point you towards the more expensive one without asking you which feels better.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #6

chandler5566 .22
You have combined two primary concerns, needs and wants into a single question. Shooting is not concealed carry and vice versa. OF identified several considerations with respect to conceal carry and I recommend you address that separately. Selecting a firearm for shooting is primarily related to the physical relationship between mind, body and the firearm.

You may do well with one firearm when it comes to range shooting but feel completely uncomfortable when trying to carry concealed. As for muscle memory.....not sure who told you that you should have your own firearm for that unless they were referring to one that you have owned and practiced with (regularly) for some period of time. Otherwise you could use damn near any firearm for a class. Start with a good (recommended) instructor to help you with both shooting and CC.

Don't rush your selection. Identify and select the clothing you intend to wear when carrying and be sure to wear it when practicing CC.

Last edited by chandler5566; 09-09-2017 at 07:29 PM.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:48 PM   #7

greyrush .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Ziio View Post
I've spent the last couple of months researching many different striker style pistols. ..... I've narrowed my choice down to either a PPQ M2 or PPS M2, chambered in 9mm.
The PPQ M2 is a bit wider than the PPS M2, 1.3" vs. 1". But I've carried a Ruger 9E with no problems which is a touch longer and taller but the same width as a PPQ M2. Trigger pull weight on the PPQ is 5.6 lbs., with the PPS at 6.1 lbs., pretty darn close to each other.

As others have already said, there are a number of variables to consider which only you can fill-in the values for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Ziio View Post
The PPS seems like it would be more comfortable to carry but may be less comfortable as a range/training weapon.
Perhaps thinking about where your new gun will spend the majority of it's time will help decide. Mostly on the range or home, or mostly on your waist?

I know I would enjoy the PPQ more at the range or at home on guard duty, and it can certainly be used for carry.

I took a couple pics to compare the sizes. One is the PPS (with 7rd mag) sitting on top of the PPQ, the other is a (slightly bad angle) pic trying to show the width difference.

https://imgur.com/BZbt8i6
https://imgur.com/PGrnMzE
greyrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:23 AM   #8

Dj_Ziio .22
Thank you all for your quick answers. I do understand that there are a lot of variables to deal with when purchasing a weapon, especially for CCW but I don't have a large amount of free cash to deal with at this time, so its difficult for me to experiment and see what works. I might be able to purchase a few different holsters, but multiple platforms is just above my price ceiling right now.
I guess its best to worry about CCW later and decide on a platform to train with and practice at the range, and I don't see too many reasons why the PPS would be better for either. I'm sure that the PPQ will be something I will be quite happy with and I'm sure if it doesn't work well for CCW I can always try and sell it to purchase something better, if I'm willing to part with it.
Now its time to set up a rental and range time with it before I make my final decision. I hope I can find someone local who shoots as well, since our range is hesitant to have new shooters rent weapons. Thanks again for the help, its tough to get quality answers from google search, but at least I found this forum. I will be using it quite a lot in the coming weeks!
XRing and Redcat94 like this.
Dj_Ziio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:22 AM   #9
BJK

BJK .22
Dj, if your ultimate goal is CC that is what you need to strive for. If it's a range gun, then get that. What's more important, preserving life or holes in paper? The heck with the range, that's just an end toward the means if CC is the goal. Decide on your goal, choose the best gun to get you there, and all else follows that. You practice at the range to get yourself and the gun to where you need to be with it. CC has many ways to get that accomplished and concealed if you are open to those methods. I carry off body because no matter what I wear for outer clothing in the Maine climate (100 to -30) I'm good. But that's not a solution for everyone.

First set the goal and all else follows that.
greyrush and PewPewPPQ like this.
BJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #10

PewPewPPQ .22
I do not carry, but if I did, I would want the PPS for its smaller dimensions and heavier trigger. I know myself with regards to equipment. No matter what the sport or activity, I always like smaller sleeker, minimal equipment. I own the Q and know that if I were to carry, I would choose not to carry it, I would want something smaller that I can still shoot well. To me the PPS is the right size for a carry gun. Everyone is different. Ask yourself, will you actually carry the Q, or will you leave it at home because it is to0 "big" to carry (for you). Just buy the gun you want to carry since that is your ultimate goal and practice, practice, practice.

Also, the PPQ trigger is light, I know that Walther says the pull is 5.6 lbs, but my trigger gauge consistently measures 5.0 lbs. There are plenty of threads out there talking about this, and questioning if the Q's trigger is too light for carry. 1 lb of difference in trigger pull is huge.
PewPewPPQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions > FAQ: Walther General Discussion

Tags
first purchase, ppq