Minimum Required Disclosure - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions > FAQ: Walther General Discussion

Like Tree23Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Minimum Required Disclosure

We have a steady stream of first-timers who come onto the forum complaining that their Walther pistol does not work as they think it should. They ask for diagnosis.

By far the preponderance of them do not think it's important to disclose:

1) the exact location and attitude of the cartridge or cartridge case that is involved in the stoppage;

2) a specific description of the ammunition being used, by manufacturer and load, and

3) any modifications they have made to the gun just before the malfunction occurs.

In the absence of such information, it's fruitless to attempt a diagnosis, and a waste of everyone's time.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #2

Herr Walther Unproven
Same as "How much is my pistol worth" without detailed photos.

How the hell do I know unless I can see it?

Made in the U.S. of parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg.

Die Familie Rentz seit 1535 https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2091&dateline=1394562  861
Herr Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:58 AM   #3
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
While I agree with this, my feeling is that often these posters don't know what information would be useful in getting a better answer and need guidance in how to diagnose the signs and symptoms of the problem.

They often need us to tell them what to look at and how to look.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #4

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
What's wrong with my gun?

98.5% operator error. The other 1.5% is reserved for failures. (High Point comes immediately to mind..)

What's my gun worth?

Whatever an individual can scrape out of his wallet, minus the attached lint, and gas money needed to propel your vehicular conveyance to the rendezvous point.

My gun won't shoot, what do I do?

Squeeze the trigger, dumbarse...

These answers ought to be the first fix(es) attempted.
Thunderbirdsport302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbirdsport302 View Post

These answers ought to be the first fix(es) attempted.
I don't believe those answers will be very productive.

M
Old 06-22-2016, 09:26 PM   #6

ret.08sunny .22
Well let's see. I'm new to guns so I gave it "a good cleaning". Which translates to I took it all apart and now it's a mess. I never read the manual but shot a friends gun with "hot" ammo, now my gun don't work. I "upgraded" the trigger and some other parts now my gun don't work. You get the picture.
halfmoonclip likes this.
ret.08sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:10 AM   #7
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ret.08sunny View Post
... You get the picture.
I think both you and T-bird missed my point. I was not exasperated about manifestations of stupidity. On the contrary: let's assume that the malfunction being complained of is a real one, the cause of which is not obvious.

My complaint was (and is) with introductory posts that do not contain fundamental information necessary to obtain effective assistance; sometimes clues vital to an accurate diagnosis are not disclosed until much later, often only after considerable prodding.

For example there does not seem to be an appreciation that handguns operate semi-automatically solely from the energy generated by a fired cartridge, and that ammunition is not generic like 87-octane gasoline.

Olsoul's response above was in large measure correct: some posters just don't know what information would be helpful and need guidance. Others do know but don't stop to think that we are not mind-readers.

Which is why I identified three areas of most-frequent omission.

M
Old 06-23-2016, 02:27 AM   #8

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
I understood your meaning, it was just my usual (misplaced) humor getting the best of me...

It is most helpful not to mention much quicker to help diagnose issues when the customer/forum poster regales with as much detail as possible, WRT the issue(s).

My car makes a funny noise.

It's pretty vague, and as a (former) mechanic, it can (and did) drive me up the wall trying to figure out exactly what and where the noise was and coming from.

Sometimes it was made easier: "my car makes a funny noise from the left front when I use the brakes and it's raining/wet"

(those type are about one in 25)

In short, be very descriptive of all the problems, issues, things that could lead up to the issue(s), and what you've tried to correct them thus far.

Please n' thanks..
halfmoonclip and ret.08sunny like this.
Thunderbirdsport302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #9

ret.08sunny .22
I agree with you MG. The specifics of a firearm malfunction could possibly lead to the under lying problem. But until that information is given, one can only speculate.
ret.08sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbirdsport302 View Post

My car makes a funny noise.

That sounds like my wife. To whom my obtuse response is: "Is that funny strange or funny ha-ha?"

M

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions > FAQ: Walther General Discussion