Interarms today? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions > FAQ: Walther General Discussion

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Pilotsteve .22
Interarms today?

While playing around with Google Earth and streetview earlier, I thought I'd look for Interarms' old address in Alexandria, VA. The sorely-missed company that made so many great Walthers possible for we Americans, to include US-made PPK's and the like. We all know the company is long gone, but what does the place look like today? I was very surprised to see...

Interarms was located - at least on paper anyway - at 10 Prince Street, Alexandria, Virginia. In the above image, we have a small two story building in along a small block. Here's what it looks like from the street:

This is the door at 10 Prince Street:

All along, my imagination has painted the picture of a sizable office building bustling with trucks delivering nice PPK's to gun dealers across the land, or at least a larger business center. Maybe this has been knocked down and replaced with the buildings we see, or maybe it was always housed there? Though I'll never know myself, it is my hope someone with personal knowledge of the area (or dealings with Interarms) might be able to shed some light on the old neighborhood. Whatever may play out, I still found this quite interesting.

-Pilotsteve
artemis likes this.

Last edited by Pilotsteve; 04-27-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-26-2014, 11:09 PM   #2

colt .22
Someone on this forum used to work for Ranger in Gadston and maybe they went to Alexandra and will be able to help.I think that is an interesting question and hopefully they will read your post.I do not remember what the post was about and I wish I could help more.
colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #3

BB57 .22
I was doing the same thing a couple weeks ago, went looking for old pictures and found this link:

Interarms and Potomac Arms

From Prince Street you need to go a block and a half south on Union Street to the old warehouse. The warehouse and dock are still there - just not much to look at from the street.

I don't know that you could still get a freighter in there. The Potomac has silted to the point that it is no loner navigable to large vessels that far up. Dredging is also problematic in the Potomac and in the Anacostia, as the water quality has improved as most of the heavy metals and other toxins are now contained in the silt on the bottom of those rivers. However that means that if any dredging is done the soil has to be removed from the river and treated, rather than just dredged off the bottom and released in the current, so it's probably never going to happen unless the US Navy decides the Washington Navy Yard needs to be an actual navy yard again.
Pilotsteve likes this.

Last edited by BB57; 04-27-2014 at 07:54 AM.
BB57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #4

AoxoMoxoA .22
Interarms today?

Removed... BB beat me to it above...
AoxoMoxoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #5

RickJZ Unproven
It certainly looks different now. Years ago, I used to go to Alexandria, VA quite often. This certainly is not what I remember Interarms looking like. The area in which it was at is known as Old Towne Alexandria: many historical town homes, businesses, restaurants, and bars. There were a couple of nice gun shops around the corner; Old Towne Armory (title II dealer) and Potomac Arms.
RickJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Pilotsteve .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB57 View Post
From Prince Street you need to go a block and a half south on Union Street to the old warehouse. The warehouse and dock are still there...
Awesome BB57, thanks for the wonderful information! I did a bit more snooping around the old Interarms this evening with help from your data and found some interesting imagery - here is a virtual view of the warehouse from the southwest:

From the street, looking at the warehouses from the northwest - at the intersection of Duke and South Union Street:

From down Duke Street... terminal buildings?:

I played around with streetview, maneuvering around until I came to the end of Wolfe street. Amazingly, the imagery vehicle must have had to turn around at that point and caught images of the very back of the warehouses! How many PP's from europe came and went through these doors? How many trucks came from Ranger with boxes of stainless steel PPK's and backed up to these loading docks?

Sigh.

-Pilotsteve
TANFOGLIO and Cyanide like this.
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotsteve View Post
... How many PP's from europe came and went through these doors? How many trucks came from Ranger with boxes of stainless steel PPK's and backed up to these loading docks?

Answer: None.

Except for the office at Number 10 Prince Street, you've shown the wrong set of buildings.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #8

153 .22
Mike,

Are you holding out on the correct location? Are there still a couple of boxes of PPK's laying around in the corner of some deserted building?

Tractor Pulls ....... yeah sure!

"The beggar who is sitting in the marketplace is completely deaf in so much as far as listening to the song that is coming from the Mockingbird is concerned."

Bond's Walther PPK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimIUgsMQQk

Bond's Beretta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Bc...ature=youtu.be
153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Here is what some of the buildings looked like in 2011, 12 years after Interarms closed. In the 1960s there were 10 warehouses in the complex. Railroad tracks ran down the center of S. Union Street, so hundreds of thousands of rifles from U.S. Government arsenals were unloaded from boxcars by forklifts running from the warehouses out into the street. Shiploads of surplus material from abroad arrived at the big Robinson Terminal pier next door and were likewise shunted across the street into three warehouses at the corners of S. Union and Duke.

With the cessation of military surplus importation in 1968, the need for vast warehouse space abated, and some of the buildings were sold or leased for other uses. By 1980 the Alexandria waterfront became yuppified and upscale. Warehouse No.2, a small building used as a showroom for dealers, became a bicycle shop; another became the "Christmas Attic". Warehouse No. 3, formerly a U.S. Customs bonded area, was converted to a parking garage. Warehouses 7 and 8 were occupied by the Alexandria Art League, the loading bays bricked closed. Warehouses 10-11, down Union Street at Franklin, are gone completely, replaced by townhouses.

Very little remains today to reveal their former use. All of the real estate formerly occupied by Interarms was sold last year, and the entire block is currently being redeveloped.

M
searcher451 and colt like this.

Last edited by MGMike; 10-07-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
A few more pix.

The last photo shows a former waterfront restaurant, converted in the 1950s to an upper-story gun store called by various names, Hunter's Haven, Ye Olde Hunter, Potomac Arms, etc. This store was a familiar landmark in Northern Virginia, often mistaken (due to its location; just visible at the far left in the first pic) as an Interarms retail outlet. In fact it was separately owned by the late John Richards, who operated it for nearly 50 years. The building was derelict in 2011 (and might be torn down by now, I don't know).

M
searcher451 likes this.

Last edited by MGMike; 10-07-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions > FAQ: Walther General Discussion

Search tags for this page

interarmco

interarmco, alexandria va.
interarms alexandria va

interarms alexandria virginia

interarms alexandria virginia the overland
interarms and potomac arms

interarms history

interarms ltd 10 prince street alexandria virginia 22313
interarms prince street alexandria va
pete dickey nra
potomac arms alexandria va
thalson sf ca
Click on a term to search for related topics.