Interarms today? - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions > FAQ: Walther General Discussion

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
The second pic shows South Union St. facing south, from where a railroad spur came. The tracks were torn out in the 1970s. The lady is at the steel door of 206 S. Union, an entrance to Interarms Warehouse No. 6. Before moving to Alabama, Mike McClellan of M&M Gunsmithing occupied space at no. 204 (seen in one of the earlier pictures).

The 3d pic is the unit block of Duke Street, with the Potomac River in the background. To the right, out of camera view, is the Robinson Terminal complex, photos of which Steve posted. Hundreds of tons of arms and ammunition were hauled across this street from the pier to the bricked-up loading bays of Interarms No. 8 Warehouse, still visible on the left.

The townhouses shown in the first pic now occupy the site where Interarms' Warehouses Nos. 10-11 once stood.

M
searcher451 likes this.

Last edited by MGMike; 10-03-2014 at 09:23 AM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Last batch, 2011.

The former Interarms dealer showroom, Warehouse No. 2: converted to a bike shop.

Across the street from Interarms offices at Number 10, the pic shows the 100 block of Prince Street, with some of the oldest homes in Alexandria. It is called "Captains' Row", as many ships' masters lived there. Alexandria at that time was a bigger port than New York.

The cobblestones were first laid during the Revolution by Hessian prisoners-of-war; the stones themselves had been brought over by sailing ships that carried them as ballast, removed when cargo was loaded for the return voyage.

M
searcher451 likes this.

Last edited by MGMike; 10-07-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #13

BB57 .22
Mike, how does that square with this picture:

It's possible the article is in error - except I recall seeing exactly that same picture in some of Interarms' own advertising way back in the day.
BB57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #14
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
The article is substantially in error.

The photo --taken about 50 years ago-- was used by Interarms on postcards, but was (deliberately) misleading.

Everything within the big circle is Robinson Terminal. Some of the buildings in the small circle were Interarms, though Interarms occupied several others not within the photo. The building at the extreme right of the small circle (@ 3 o'clock) is No. 10 Prince Street. Just above it was the warehouse that is now the Christmas Attic. The left two of the three buildings @ 6 o'clock were not part of Interarms. The middle one was (and still is, I think) Chadwick's Restaurant.

The arrow points to Hunter's Haven, on the water at Zero Prince Street.

M
searcher451, Sih, BB57 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by MGMike; 10-03-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Pilotsteve .22
Mike, thank you for sharing this priceless information with us. I have been fascinated (and, at the same time, heartbroken) about the entire Interarms story for many years... since I first purchased my PPK and knowledge of the organization came to me. You have vastly increased my understanding and have helped paint a mental portrait of great things now gone to all of us. There will likely never be another Sam Cummings, International Armament Corporation, or the ability to do the things he did for all of us ever again. Such greatness will no doubt henceforth be stifled and smothered under crippling bureaucracy and preposterous laws.

Again, thank you Mike. Precious few have anything resembling your level of knowledge.

-Pilotsteve
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #16

BB57 .22
Mike,

Thanks, that is very helpful.

And very interesting given the intentional use of a poorly (and probably intentionally) composed photograph to make the facilities look more impressive than they were.
BB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #17
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotsteve View Post
... stifled and smothered under crippling bureaucracy and preposterous laws.

When you've had enough of that, just move out of Massachusetts.

M
searcher451 and Cyanide like this.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #18
Supporting Member

photohause .22
I used to do photographic work for Interarms in the 80's. Nice people there. I also was extended deep discounts on the inventory....besides getting the obvious handguns, (many) I remember buying an Spanish SxS AYA shotgun for my uncle...they encouraged me to go through several boxes to fine the nicest stocks

I still have a dealers/distributors price list somewhere if anyone is interested in viewing it.

Photo

What new gun my Dear, this old thing?

Last edited by photohause; 04-29-2014 at 07:30 PM.
photohause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #19

RickJZ Unproven
MGMike,

Thanks for posting those photos. The houses on Captains Row bring back memories when I used to go in that area. They are certainly some of the nicest town homes in Old Town.
RickJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #20

ErichS .22
Ironic that Hessians laid the cobblestones on a street where later fine German pistols were housed.
photohause likes this.

Last edited by ErichS; 04-28-2014 at 06:43 PM.
ErichS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions > FAQ: Walther General Discussion

Search tags for this page

interarmco

interarmco, alexandria va.
interarms alexandria va

interarms alexandria virginia

interarms alexandria virginia the overland
interarms and potomac arms

interarms history

interarms ltd 10 prince street alexandria virginia 22313
interarms prince street alexandria va
pete dickey nra
potomac arms alexandria va
thalson sf ca
Click on a term to search for related topics.