New Member P38 question - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions > FAQ: Walther General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #1

ELNAGEL .22
New Member P38 question

I have a P38 with P38 on the left side of slide 199 serial number and a U after that.
right above the trigger is 199 U and an eagle.
on the right side of slide towards back looks like a small eagle with a D or an O under it and then a larger eagle on maybe the world and then third I can't make out but looks like two circles joined like a horizontal 8 with something over them.
I am looking for any information I can get on it - how old - who used and what it might be worth.

Thanks

Eric
ELNAGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #2

matthanne .22
Pics would help greatly, what you describe could be inspection and acceptance stamps. There is so much more that can be told when the images are up for evaluation.

Based on what you have described, it could be a Spreewerk as I don't think Mauser or Walther made it to 'U' blocks but then I make it a point to be mistaken some times!

The same serial number should also be found on the front flat under the barrel and on the locking block, the swinging metal part under the barrel, when you disassemble the pistol. Of note, the locking block usually only has the last three digits and the block designation, but yours has a three-digit serial already.
matthanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #3

ELNAGEL .22
pictures of p38

I have attached pictures for you to look at
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5085.jpg (28.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5086.jpg (33.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5093.jpg (31.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5095.jpg (35.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5092.jpg (37.2 KB, 8 views)
ELNAGEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #4

Kar98 .22
cyq = Spreewerk production. I would have taken it for a Spreewerk even without the cyq, because of those typical impressive tool marks on the slide, LOL.

This also means it was made between 1942 and April of 1945.

Their proof mark was eagle over 88:

Kar98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions > FAQ: Walther General Discussion