Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS > FAQ: PPS

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
Banned

Ogie .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6mm6 View Post

There are two types of gun owners in the world. Those who have had negligent discharges and those who will.

-Steve
That's absolute baloney.
CA SURVIVOR likes this.
Ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #12

GVFlyer .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMAN View Post
HMMMMM ...... BUY A .380 BERETTA, .380 SIG, .380 KAHR, .380 COLT AND SHOT THE HELL OUT OF IT WITH NO RECONSTRUCTION AT ALL.
ACS
Uh, the PPS comes in 9mm /.40 S&W and my .40 functions function perfectly - always has. Was your post intended for the PPK/s forum? And 380 Kahr a reliable performer, seriously?
CA SURVIVOR likes this.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6mm6 View Post
There are two types of gun owners in the world. Those who have had negligent discharges and those who will.
Steve: The first time I heard this line, it came from a LEO who worked as the primary range officer and firearms instructor for a large metropolitan police department in the Midwest. He was a crusty old guy who knew his stuff, knew his guns, and always said what was on his mind. His observation was based on more than 35 years of experience at the time, and he had seen more than his share of accidents and mishaps and goof-offs -- and a couple of near-tragedies to boot.

I've heard the same line repeated many times since.

I personally find it to be good advice for anyone who carries a firearm, shoots a firearm, or keeps a firearm -- loaded or otherwise -- in close proximity. If nothing else, it's a great reminder of the potential dangers that simply come with gun ownership.

Thanks for sharing it.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #14
Banned

Ogie .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
Steve: The first time I heard this line, it came from a LEO who worked as the primary range officer and firearms instructor for a large metropolitan police department in the Midwest. He was a crusty old guy who knew his stuff, knew his guns, and always said what was on his mind. His observation was based on more than 35 years of experience at the time, and he had seen more than his share of accidents and mishaps and goof-offs -- and a couple of near-tragedies to boot.

I've heard the same line repeated many times since.

I personally find it to be good advice for anyone who carries a firearm, shoots a firearm, or keeps a firearm -- loaded or otherwise -- in close proximity. If nothing else, it's a great reminder of the potential dangers that simply come with gun ownership.

Thanks for sharing it.

Once again, it's absolute baloney. If you believe it, it becomes a self- fullfilling prophecy.

The same applies to the old saw that there are two kinds of motorcycle riders, those that have laid their bikes down, and those who haven't yet done so.

That type of negative mentality is a breeding ground for accidents to happen. Always be careful and always be safe. There's a reason it is called a "negligent" discharge.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Ogie: Let's agree to disagree on this (and also, perhaps, to help get the thread back on track).

What's baloney to some is sound advice to others, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's my belief that anything at all that helps to keep a gun owner safe is good thing, indeed, regardless of where the motivation comes from or how it's presented, or by whom.

As a reformed motorcycle owner who was forced to lay down a once-nice Triumph on more than one occasion -- and through no fault of my own -- I also think that the advice to potential Harley-riders is well worth considering as well. But that's just me.

Peace.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 01-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #16
Banned

Ogie .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
Ogie: Let's agree to disagree on this (and also, perhaps, to help get the thread back on track).

What's baloney to some is sound advice to others, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's my belief that anything at all that helps to keep a gun owner safe is good thing, indeed, regardless of where the motivation comes from or how it's presented, or by whom.

As a reformed motorcycle owner who was forced to lay down a once-nice Triumph on more than one occasion -- and through no fault of my own -- I also think that the advice to potential Harley-riders is well worth considering as well. But that's just me.

Peace.
I agree in principle with you as far as staying safe! However, I don't like any negativity in my safety regimen. I have safely handled guns and riden motorcycles for over 45 years now. I don't intend for that to change by heeding a mistaken fatalistic mantra. I don't look at that phrase as advice, I see it as negative thought. We'll agree to disagree on this one. Stay safe.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Well stated, and no argument from this end. The bottom line is staying safe: On that we can all agree.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #18

thorn .22
At the risk of belaboring the issue

(sorry in advance)

The motorcycle metaphor is different than the firearm. Avoiding a ND is completely within the control of the shooter. Checking a chamber doesn't require that the shooter/person next to you do anything in particular. Your gun, you're checking, end of story.

Such is not the case with bikes - unforseen road hazards, deer that jump across the highway, and crazy drivers can all cause an otherwise safe rider to hit the ground... factors outside the control of the rider can influence your vertical state.

(Granted, my father would have said "every auto/bike accident can be avoided"... that's true, but only if you didn't EVER get on the road in the first place.)

thorn
Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #19

maveric08 .22
work horse

OK so I had put up an earlier thread asking about the shoot ability of the .40 vs the 9mil. as it pertained to the PPS only. However it strikes me odd that people are having such problems with this gun. Is it really that unreliable ?!? I read a post where someone said that's what you get with a 600 dollar gun!?! WHAT !! I'm sorry but to me that's real money and I expect it to function like a real working firearm. The sole purpose of such a thing as a gun is to fire bullets if its not doing that its not doing its intended job period. I have put off buying what I thought was the perfect solution to my quest for the perfect carry pistol because I simply can not afford a 600 dollar paperweight. I would like to hear some good stories of people who have had success with this and people who have not. specifically if they were able to get past the issue. I have a PPK that did not function correctly for two reasons. One was my fault as I was shooting weak weight ammunition that was not re cocking the blow back design of that pistol and the second was due to a small bur on the feed ramp. After fixing these two minor problems it functions now 100 % and I would trust my life to it. If it is something like that for the PPS then its really not a big deal. You cant expect to drive a car whether its a Kia or a Bentley and never change the oil so I can understand giving a lil TLC to a firearm designed to protect your life if one day you call upon it to do so. Whats so wrong with a break? in period ill be sure to follow the instructions for mine I mean common again with the car analogy but seriously if you have a turbo and consistently drive it hot and then shut it off without letting it spool down it will go bad plain and simple. Why would a firearm be any different. What I do expect is for a well lubed and clean and cared for PPS to function time after time after time.
maveric08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #20

Yosemite Sam .22
Take a look around this forum. There are plenty of topics about this. Check the "FTF Problems (poll)" topic.

Manufactured goods have failure rates. There's no way around it. Current market forces are causing companies to accept higher failure rates than in the past.

In my opinion, the PPS may be a little more prone to some out-of-the-box issues than some other new guns, but not as much as some here would have you believe.

I may be the one you're quoting as saying, "What do you expect from a $600 gun." If so, I believe you're taking it a bit out of context. I agree that $600 is a lot of money, and we should all expect that anything we buy for that kind of scratch would work perfectly. Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world. There are plenty of people who spend $800, $1000, or even more on a gun, only to find it doesn't work perfectly.

As I pointed out in another thread, I have a $600 Glock that didn't function 100% out of the box. It cleared up. I bought a $450 S&W revolver that didn't work correctly and had to go back for service. It happens.

This is simply a fact of life these days. If you're uncomfortable buying a PPS that has a slight chance of not being 100% perfect, don't. But good luck finding something is guaranteed to be 100% out of the box. You're not going to find a gun thinner than the PPS in 9mm or .40 S&W. For me, it was worth the chance, and I got a good one. If I hadn't, I would have returned it for service, or gotten S&W/Walther to make good on it. However, I would not come back to this forum a year or more later and continue to rag on the gun, as some folks have done. They seem to have taken their bad PPS as a personal insult, and are on a crusade to make sure no one ever enjoys theirs.

-- Sam
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS > FAQ: PPS

Search tags for this page
dmars pps
dmars pps observations
how to break in a walther pps

pps observations

walther pps accidental discharge

walther pps break in

walther pps break in period

walther pps color
walther pps forum
walther pps observations

walther pps safety

walther quicksafe safety

Click on a term to search for related topics.