POA left and low - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS > FAQ: PPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #1

Skullbiker4life .22
POA left and low

I'm shooting left and low with federal 115gr JRN. Same ammo shoot dead center with my PPQ. Got 100+ rounds through it. Drifted the rear sight to the right a bit, but have not shot to confirm. Also ordered a lower front sight,(backorder for 2 to 4 weeks), wont be able to test that for a bit. I am aware of the POA sight picture difference of the 6 o'clock and the euro method of the dot covering the target center. I have always used the latter when shooting pistols. Still shoots low by 2-3 inches at 10 yards. Anyone else shooting low and left? I have not shot from a rest. Standing only.
Register
Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #2

gtmtnbiker98 .22
Low and left shooting is the shooter, not the firearm. You are jerking the trigger. Let somebody else shoot it just to confirm. Seldom will you ever have to adjust factory sights.
gtmtnbiker98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #3

velopod .22
Agree - low and left is trigger. Concentrate on pulling straight back instead of an "arc" which is easier with the PPS because of the slim grip
velopod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #4

Skullbiker4life .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by velopod View Post
Agree - low and left is trigger. Concentrate on pulling straight back instead of an "arc" which is easier with the PPS because of the slim grip
I also considered the slim grip being a factor, however my LC9 and even my slimmer P3AT both track true, but that's not to say its still not a factor.
Shooter error was my initial thought, but my father experienced same POA. Not that it still cant be the issue, but it seems consistent low and left for both shooters. I have a friend who just got a PPS and I hope to shoot it soon to see if I shoot the same way with hers. Also will let her try mine. She is really good and if she is dead on then It for sure is both me and my Dad who are in error. I thought ammo could be possible due to a shorter barrel it will naturally want to shoot lower with the lighter 115gr bullet than my PPQ. Tracking to the left would indicate a Trigger pull issue and or a trigger finger placement issue. If I notice a tracking to the left I usually correct by using only the front pad of my finger to pull the trigger. This will usually bring the tracking back to the right. Not the case for me or my father. A third shooter might help me confirm if its sight related or technique related. Was just wondering if others have had similar low and left tracking POA issues. I did read one review that had a left POA and corrected it with drifting the sight to the right and all shooters he lent the gun to had good POA with no issues after his adjustments.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
We've run a number of threads on this phenomonon with the PPS here; I'd suggest that you run a search and see what you can spot. There are many others, but these ...

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...r-pinches.html

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...left-so-i.html

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...igger-rub.html

... are a random sampling. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #6

velopod .22
I also shot left and low (not much, maybe 1.5 inches at 21 ft) initially. Straight trigger pulls puts me on center. Also, this little gem seems to fire better "Euro style" with front sight OVER target, rather then just under the front sight blade. Just my experience.
velopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #7

Skullbiker4life .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
We've run a number of threads on this phenomonon with the PPS here; I'd suggest that you run a search and see what you can spot.
... are a random sampling. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the links. I did a search and came up empty. must not have used the right key words. Thanks Ill check em out.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #8

Skullbiker4life .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by velopod View Post
I also shot left and low (not much, maybe 1.5 inches at 21 ft) initially. Straight trigger pulls puts me on center. Also, this little gem seems to fire better "Euro style" with front sight OVER target, rather then just under the front sight blade. Just my experience.
Big yep on the Euro style. That's how I shoot all pistols. Rifles on the other hand I shoot using the classic US standard 6 o'clock.
Sounds like it may be common and a combination of training and a slight rear sight adjustment. I appreciate all the impute. It is most helpful.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #9

M_E_ .22
It's not the gun but you causing it to shoot left & low. You "pull" the trigger, not "press" as you would a button. By pulling the trigger, you have a natural tendency to squeeze the trigger ALONG WITH THE GRIP. This causes the hand to twist to the left & drop slightly. Grab any solid object & give it a squeeze. Watch your hand move! If you were a left hand shooter, the shots would go low & right!!

Dry fire is your friend. Put in an empty mag with a snap cap just because (you don't really need one) and a thousand trigger presses, you'll learn NOT to squeeze or pull the trigger but to press it straight back. No charge for the lesson!

NRA Life Member

Residing in the Great Free State of Arizona
M_E_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #10

Dude22 .22
+1 with M_E_. Works every time. I know be cause I often struggle with it as well.

SR22

Be safe and always plan for that gun in the back of your head when walking out of the store. Be safe. Be prepared.
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS > FAQ: PPS

Search tags for this page
9mm ppq shooting low and left
front sight for walther pps
kahr p45 shoots low
my walther ppq 9mm shoots about eight inches low at ten yards

ppq shoots low

pps shoots low
walther ppq poa

walther ppq shooting low

walther pps front sight

walther pps front sights

walther pps shoots low

walther pps sight picture
Click on a term to search for related topics.