Smoothing out trigger uptake - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS > FAQ: PPS

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #11

aivonline .22
I've recently bought Walther PPS First Edition, manufacture year code is AH.
I've encountered the same issue of gritty take-up and especially gritty reset, which I hate as am spoiled by my Walther PPQ trigger.
I tend to agree that the grittiness to a larger extent should be attributed to the striker spring's friction against the striker well walls and the striker axis.
I've disassembled the striker assembly and it turns out the striker axis surface is noticeably rough. I can feel it distinctly when sweeping nail along the striker axis.
Besides, it has a noticeable hump halfway through the thicker part.
For curiosity's sake I disassembled a PPQ striker. It is polished and has a form that minimizes spring contact with the striker axis.
See a pic for comparison, PPS striker (top) vs. PPQ striker (bottom).

Last edited by aivonline; 07-24-2014 at 04:26 PM.
aivonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by aivonline View Post
I can feel it distinctly when sweeping nail along the striker axis.
Besides, it has a noticeable hump halfway through the thicker part.
For curiosity's sake I disassembled a PPQ striker. It is polished and has a form that minimizes spring contact with the striker axis.
I've seen quite a few P99, SW99 and PPQ strikers. As the PPQ, a striker that's a little rough is not a problem, as the striker is fully cocked with the action of the slide. The trigger simply releases the striker.....sweet.

But on P99's and SW99's ..... well, they've got the de-cocker, which lets you de-cock the pistol placing the trigger in 'double action' mode, which means that as you pull the trigger, you're actually compressing the spring. And if the striker is the least bit rough, you'll feel it in the trigger as you're pulling during DA mode. I've performed the same procedure as outlined here....gently contouring and polishing the striker....made a noticeable difference. Also, if you'd like to lighten the DA trigger pull on your P99 or SW99, all you've got to do is install a lighter striker spring.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #13

aivonline .22
I have polished the striker as suggested in the topic. It did help a bit.

I further disassembled the trigger mechanism and polished the trigger bar guide (part 12.8) on the inside, where trigger bar travels along. The trigger became smoother but still there was enough room for improvement.

Taking a step further, I compared striker springs of my Walther PPQ and PPS. They a almost identical, only the PPQ's spring is a tad shorter. I thought that a shorter spring would result in less spring bulging when compressed thus making less friction in the striker well.
Guess what I did next - yeah, I swapped striker springs between PPQ and PPS.
After all mods my PPS trigger with a shorter PPQ striker spring became really smooth.
On PPQ I didn't notice any change in trigger pull or smoothness with the PPS spring - just as before, a superb smooth light excellent PPQ trigger.
Test firing has shown that PPS with PPQ striker spring functions just as reliable as with the original spring.
Check the pic below - PPS (black, longer, top) and PPQ (white, shorter, bottom) striker springs side by side:
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/u...IMG_3196-1.jpg

Last edited by aivonline; 09-01-2014 at 09:05 AM.
aivonline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Yep, I've experimented/used Glock striker springs in my SW99's/P99's. Makes a very noticeable difference in the DA trigger pull. You can purchase the Glock springs here Springs for GLOCK Semi-Auto Pistols . They are available in 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 and 6 pounds.....prices are $3.49 each...CHEAP. Note: when running a lighter striker spring you may have some light primer strikes....depends on the brand of ammo or primers used. These may or may not work for your PPS.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #15

golfrj .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
Yep, I've experimented/used Glock striker springs in my SW99's/P99's. ...
Is anyone aware of how many lbs the PPS spring is rated at? That would be a good starting point..

Last edited by searcher451; 09-16-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: bandwidth
golfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #16
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
...Note: when running a lighter striker spring you may have some light primer strikes....depends on the brand of ammo or primers used. These may or may not work for your PPS.
Yes. This can be a source of unpleasant surprises. Especially in cold weather or when the gun gets a little dirty. An extra bit of reliability "margin" never hurt anything.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #17

1917-1911M .38
I'd be happy just to see smoothing spelled correctly in the thread title. You know this stuff shows up world wide when searching for something like.....PPS trigger. M1911
imaoldfart likes this.
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:30 AM   #18

1917-1911M .38
Searcher got it smoothed out. It wouldn't be so bad in the body of a post, but as a thread title.....it can show up worldwide if someone searches PPS trigger. Some times I'm in too much of a hurry to check to make sure my posts are correctly written. In any event, many thanks Searcher. M1911
searcher451 likes this.
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #19

Red7 .22
I recently purchased a new PPS and love the gun but would love to get the trigger as smooth as possible. Is there a video or picture tutorial of what exactly you guys are polishing and the process you are using? I'm new to guns so I'm unfamiliar with the terminology and what specific areas of the parts need to be polished.

Thanks for your help!
Red7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #20

Red7 .22
If there isn't a video, can someone explain the polishing process? I've seen the pics in this thread that people are saying they are polishing but don't understand what part of it needs to be polished and what the process is for polishing it? Are you using one of those felt wheels on a dremel with some sort of polishing compound? What product specifically is good?

After getting a PPQ this past week and feeling what an amazing trigger feels like, I'd like to do what I can to make my PPS as smooth as possible. I realize it won't be like the PPQ.

Thanks for your help!
Red7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS > FAQ: PPS

Search tags for this page

how to polish trigger walther pps

polish gritty trigger walther pps

polish walther pps trigger

pps trigger

pps trigger polish
smooth out trigger on pps

smoothing walther pps trigger

walther pps striker assembly

walther pps trigger

walther pps trigger job

walther pps trigger polish

walther pps trigger upgrade
Click on a term to search for related topics.