Check your slide stop - Page 50 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS > FAQ: PPS

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #491

Tedlin .22
AK with the old style. My .40 S&W PPS failed on my yesterday, it threw the extractor and broke the sear retainer. I also noticed that the slide would no longer lock if the mag is in. Any chance these could all be related?
Tedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #492

SilverGhost .22
Sometimes it seems folks get all heated up about stuff posted on the web. I don't need to look up a code on my PPS. It performs perfectly, and has since I bought it from my son a couple years ago. Between the two of us, we've fired well over a thousand rounds through it. Various types of ammo (no cheap stuff, of course. ) It's my carry weapon, and I trust it with my life.
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #493

Sinnerboy61 .22
You're clearly missing the point of why this thread was initially written, or perhaps aren't aware or don't remember (like some of us do) how big of an issue the slide lock failure originally was before it was rectified by Walther. It was well known and documented. People having their slide lock back during firing, and not being able to get it closed without the use of tools or sending it back to Walther/S&W. That's a pretty serious issue for a pistol made for CC, regardless of how you choose to downplay it as just "stuff posted on the web".
At the time, when I started this thread, it was a little more than that.
But again, feel free to downplay.

You say, you and your son have "well over a thousand rounds" through the gun.

Well, that's all good and well, but if you go back and read the initial post, you'll see that my catastrophic failure didn't occur until about the 2,500 round mark. Until that point, I had built complete confidence in the handgun, shot numerous types of rounds through it without issue, and it was my EDC that I trusted my life to. However it went from being a weapon I trusted my life to, to being a paperweight almost instantly - because of an obsolete part.

I started this thread to help people identify whether or not they may potentially have a gun which could experience a catastrophc failure at a time when there were still many guns out there with the older slide stop, and to pin down when Walther began building guns with the updated slide stop.

I'm just curious as to whether you would have the same approach if a recall notice had been sent out informing you that the brake lines/airbag in your car are obsolete and may need replaced?
Or would you sit back and say, "Oh, I've had this car for a couple years and it's been fine, so that's a pointless letter they sent me. I don't need to look at my VIN number. People are just all 'heated up' over nothing".

Last edited by searcher451; 12-26-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: bandwidth
Sinnerboy61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #494
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
That always seems to be the case. Those whose pistols run as designed turn into true fan-boys, ignoring the plight of those whose pistols don't operate as advertised. And, sad to say, this was a well-documented issue with the early PPS models. Just because it didn't happen to you is no reason to gloss over the problem.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:27 PM   #495

ejectionport .22
Well, my newish to me BA code PPS just suffered the spring jump from the slide stop. Worked just fine for me on a couple range trips, then the first time my DW tried it just locked back on the first shot. Spring is disconnected and the stop just flops in the wind. Don't know if her thumb was riding the stop or not.

My call to Walther service was a mixed bag of polite "we will fix the spring for you or send you a new one" and when I broached the subject, "if you want a new slide stop fitted it will cost you about $100. No it is not considered a warranty repair, that is a modification."

I've read through most of this thread before, all the while hoping mine never had the problem. Looking at the most recent posts my impression is that this is pretty typical of the current state of affairs. I'd like to carry mine.

I'm debating sending it in and asking for the free service, hoping that in doing it they will upgrade the stop anyway. Maybe something broke? Versus just biting the bullet, saving yet another shipping charge and just paying for the upgrade. I love the pistol.

Any advice from someone with recent experience? My impression is that just fixing the spring is inviting a high chance of another failure.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:58 PM   #496

branflake12 .22
BA? sheesh. Ive been not wanting to do this, but mines dates AC and is over 2K rounds and every time im shooting it im waiting for it to break. Not super confidence inspiring. For $100, i may just send it in.

Do let us know how it shakes out.

If it were me, I'd send it in for free and see what they do. It can always go back. If it were still S&W, they'd have overnighted it on them there and back by now. Mine wouldnt go into battery when it was brand new and they did that, put 200 rounds thru it, and sent it back. THey also had my PPK twice for stupid stuff I did to it. Free. Good ol days.

Best of luck!
branflake12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #497

LarryNC .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83v45magna View Post
I was going to say it's the only gun I own 2 of but I also have a 1903 and 1908 Colt pocket hammerless in .32 and .380 respectively, but I didn't buy them. They have been in the family. So the PPS is the only gun I bought two of.
I really think that Colt would do well to re-introduce those models.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #498

ejectionport .22
Have not done anything yet. Leaning towards asking for the update to minimize the hassle and shipping charges. I'll be more confident in it and can just concentrate on putting enough rounds through it to be carry confident.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS > FAQ: PPS

Search tags for this page

pps slide stop

pps slide stop repair
walther pps date code
walther pps forum
walther pps serial number lookup

walther pps serial numbers

walther pps slide issue
walther pps slide lock
walther pps slide release

walther pps slide stop

walther pps slide stop modification

walther pps slide stop spring

Click on a term to search for related topics.