PPS QuickSafe(tm) Backstrap Reinstallation Tip - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS > FAQ: PPS

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #11

Reconhell .22
I removed the backstrap at my range yesterday with a round in the chamber (to face a self imposed challenge after reading the previous post). I can confirm that removing the backstrap will NOT fire the round that is loaded, and only decocks the PPS.
Reconhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #12

fendermon .22
Has anyone else been using or looked into this slide back method?

I just bought my PPS and would prefer not to dry fire if possible for maintenance. I would really like/appreciate some insight into the mechanics of how the back strap and trigger parts interact with the slide before doing it (to be safe)... if anyone has a grasp of it. -Thanks, Dale

Thanks also to the original poster.

Last edited by fendermon; 02-07-2013 at 01:56 PM.
fendermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #13

fendermon .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconhell View Post
I removed the backstrap at my range yesterday with a round in the chamber (to face a self imposed challenge after reading the previous post). I can confirm that removing the backstrap will NOT fire the round that is loaded, and only decocks the PPS.
That's the spirit
fendermon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 02:45 AM   #14

bugman53 .22
Dry firing will cause No damage to your pistol just a FYI.
bugman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #15

spud2.0 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDmToter View Post
I have found a critical flaw in the Walther PPS Manual that may be the root cause of many of the backstrap problems that users are experiencing.

I have always had a difficult time reinstalling the backstrap on the PPS. However, the line in the Manual that reads: "The backstrap installs easily, be
careful not to apply excessive force" was disturbing me. Was I missing something, or is their definition of "excessive force" different than mine???

I turns out that I Was missing something. After much tinkering, I discovered that the backstrap slides into place simply and locks securely If you lock the Slide Open first.

If you look at page 22 of the manual, the last two steps of the FIELD STRIPPING ASSEMBLY section; You are instructed to move the slide Forward to the Closed position, followed immediately by instructions for reinstalling the backstrap. This is INCORRECT. You must lock the slide Open before reinstalling the backstrap.

This may be a large contributor to many of the backstrap issues out there. If you try to install the backstrap with the slide forward, excessive force is required. Tabs can break. It may not lock Securely. Etc...

Hopefully this is useful to some. I have seen much discussion about the backstraps, but no one ever mentions the Slide position during reassembly.
I have never taken my back strap off until today to show a buddy how you can change it out. I almost thought I was going to have to take my gun in to have someone fix it. Your lock the slide open first worked like a charm. the plastic nipple that has to align with the hole and the matching up the dots thing doesn't seem to work either. But when you lock the slide open and align everything and wiggle it popped right in and slid into place. Thanks Dude : )
spud2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #16

PPS1980 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud2.0 View Post
I have never taken my back strap off until today to show a buddy how you can change it out. I almost thought I was going to have to take my gun in to have someone fix it. Your lock the slide open first worked like a charm. the plastic nipple that has to align with the hole and the matching up the dots thing doesn't seem to work either. But when you lock the slide open and align everything and wiggle it popped right in and slid into place. Thanks Dude : )
Welcome aboard. Glad the site helped with your PPS.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS > FAQ: PPS

Tags
backstrap, quicksafe, slide

Search tags for this page
back strap tm
pps quicksafe
quicksafe backstrap
walther pps 9mm owners manual
walther pps backstrap install
walther pps backstrap reinstall problems

walther pps manual

walther pps medium backstrap
walther pps owners manual
walther pps quicksafe backstrap

walther quicksafe

walther quicksafe?
Click on a term to search for related topics.