WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS > FAQ: PPS

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #11

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan whitaker View Post
I think the pps m1 would have been a much better seller if Walther would have just stuck with it.
I had zero interest in the PPS until the M2 came out.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:37 PM   #12

DukeIronHand .22
Since it keeps getting brought up what the hell is this fascination with the M1 (Trigger Guard Mag release) that’s all over these forums like a rash.
Sure it’s cute and useable but I can’t believe (though I’m sure it will happen) anyone can possibly state its “better” then a button release.
Some kinda “it’s not from here so it must be cool” thing?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #13

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post
I can’t believe (though I’m sure it will happen) anyone can possibly state its “better” then a button release.
Probably not if they are concerned about grammar and spelling...
It's better than a button release. There, I said it. I can't reach the button on some pistols.....but my fingers can reach the right side lever. 1917
Sih, Redcat94 and OldRogue like this.
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #14

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
I can’t believe (though I’m sure it will happen) anyone can possibly state its “better” then a button release.
Paddles are far better than a button release for me. I can reach paddles without shifting my hand around. I can't do that with a button. The only reason that I never bought the PPS M1 was because I think it's ugly. I prefer the looks of the PPS M2 and some of the other improvements made to it but wish Walther had kept the paddles.
four4bshooter and OldRogue like this.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:58 AM   #15

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
Quote:
Since it keeps getting brought up what the hell is this fascination with the M1 (Trigger Guard Mag release) that’s all over these forums like a rash.
Sure it’s cute and useable but I can’t believe (though I’m sure it will happen) anyone can possibly state its “better” then a button release.
Some kinda “it’s not from here so it must be cool” thing?
The PPS Classic (or M1 ) was/is unique for several reasons;
Paddle mag release,
ability to completely decock,
was one of the first, exceptionally slim subcompacts when it debuted.

The M2 took away the superior (i know, i know, just an opinion)* mag release and supplanted it with a (belly)button for all the the whiny *****es who are afraid to adapt.
Also losing the decocking ability along the way.

Progress? Not hardly.

As for looks...?

I didn't know a gun's appearance had a direct correlation on it's ability to perforate targets, bad guys, vicious dogs, psychotic wildlife, etc.

God damn, I must be doing it all wrong...I think the PPS Classic was the top of the food for chain for sub compact niners....

Hmmph.

*Disclaimer:
You know how hard it is to have an accidental mag drop with a paddle release gun?

(probably not, if you're a button fan and have never tried a PPS or PPQ Classic. And oh my god, the "M1" sounds SO effing dumb. Classic is much more......dignified. These are Walther guns, not a ****ty rat-assed Glock.)
/rant.
four4bshooter likes this.

Last edited by Thunderbirdsport302; 06-19-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Thunderbirdsport302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #16

OldRogue .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by grand_cru View Post
I keep seeing low prices of $279 or $299 from a few different vendors (in Ohio)...has Walther given up on this pistol?
I'm going to make an educated guess and say, yes. Walther has put in significant effort and cash in 'bringing back' the PPK/S, so I think they'll put even more effort into selling them. I believe that distributors and retailers think the same thing. However, concentrating on selling the PPK doesn't necessarily mean that it's the replacement for the PPS — although it's a near-perfect CC pistol — Walther may yet have another model up its sleeve.

Last edited by OldRogue; 06-19-2019 at 08:30 PM.
OldRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:36 AM   #17

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRogue View Post
I'm going to make an educated guess and say, yes. Walther has put in significant effort and cash in 'bringing back' the PPK/S, so I think they'll put even more effort into selling them. I believe that distributors and retailers think the same thing. However, concentrating on selling the PPK doesn't necessarily mean that it's the replacement for the PPS – although it's a near-perfect CC pistol – Walther may yet have another model up its sleeve.
There is a lot of competition in that single stack or stack and a half 9mm carry gun niche. Even Mossberg has jumped into the fray.

Could it be the aggressive pricing is just an attempt to sell some guns in a pretty saturated market?

As cool as the PPK is, I'm not sure its playing the same gane as the Shield, G43, PPS, ...

I hope you are right though. I like my PPS but would love to see Walther come up with something new. As long as it comes out of Ulm, I'd be interested.
OldRogue likes this.
Jimmo952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #18

ldhunter1959 .22
I would probably go to the M2 if not for my investment in mags for my long-time companion the M1. While I prefer the paddle releases, it is the only hand gun in my collection with paddle releases, so I would prefer the continuity with my other range and carry pistols.
But PPS mags are expensive, so I will stick with the M1/Classic.
OldRogue likes this.
ldhunter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #19

muckaleewarrior71 .22
I haven't. This will be my 4th summer carrying my M2. My P99c workhorse is getting a much needed rest.

P99 & P99c AS 9mm, PPX .40, PPS M2 9mm, and
PPQ M1 9mm!
muckaleewarrior71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:06 AM   #20

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbirdsport302 View Post
As for looks...?

I didn't know a gun's appearance had a direct correlation on it's ability to perforate targets, bad guys, vicious dogs, psychotic wildlife, etc.
Of course looks matter. To believe otherwise is to ignore human nature and I don't think that there's anything wrong with buying a gun based on how it looks as long as you don't fool yourself into believing it's something that it's not.

I think the Springfield XD is an ugly pistol but I respect them because that have a good reputation. I simply prefer the PPS M2 over the Classic because it's similar in appearance to my PPQ.

Larry Vickers recently did a YouTube video on the HK XM8 rifle. HK brought in Audi to design the exterior styling for it. Appearance can be just as much of a selling point as performance or price.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS > FAQ: PPS