Walther Forums banner

trigger pull weight

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Liggett 
#1 ·
Would like to hear from you guy's and gal's on this. If you installed a heavier spring on the firing pin block, would that increase the trigger pull weight. My reason for doing this, I carry in the appendix carry position.My pistol is the PPQ M1

#2 · (Edited)
Using a stronger spring under the FPB would increase the pre-travel effort.....where the trigger bar is pushing the FPB up into the slide. It would have a negligible effect on the actual 'break'. A better way might be to replace the trigger return spring with a heavier one. I think someone of the forum has already done that.

ME.....heck, I went the other way.....a lighter trigger return spring.....I love light triggers.

The answer to your question may be somewhere in this thread http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/46495-ppq-3-5lb-trigger-mod.html

#3 ·
What does carrying in the appendix position have to do with the trigger pull weight? The trigger pull should not matter regardless of where or how you carry your firearm. Are you saying you are more likley to have your finger on the trigger when you holster appendix style? Im confused on your reasoning...but to each their own.

#9 ·
It's because there is absolutely no room for error with appendix carry. If the pistol discharges one could bleed out and die. At 3-5 o'clock one would would probably have a Glock leg but live and maybe have a permanent limp.

A long heavy trigger pull would be less likely to go off due to problems with holstering, holster/things in holster than a short and light trigger pull. Many prefer DA/SA because it also has a hammer to hold thumb over while holstering or in the case of the P99 a striker movement indicator.

#4 ·
Those of us who carry appendix tend to prefer a heavier trigger as an extra safety measure. Mainly, it would give you more time to notice if the worst happened and something was pressing on the trigger as you holstered. In fact, many, including myself, insist on either DA/SA or a manual safety for AIWB carry guns. But those who want a consistent striker trigger pull, like the OP, may want something more Glock-like as opposed to PPQ/VP9-like.

#8 ·
IT HAS a trigger blade safety.....just cover the trigger

Then leave it holstered till you need to shoot someone...

If you want a bad trigger buy a different type of gun ...glock new york plus trigger comes to mind
YMMV

Reactions: Liggett
#12 ·
What does carrying in the appendix position have to do with the trigger pull weight?
The consequences of an ND while carrying in the appendix position could result in a hole in your femoral artery due to the direction the pistol is pointed when holstering/unholstering, which could kill you in minutes, if not seconds.

I'm pretty sure the OP had something like this in mind close to a year ago when this thread was started.

#17 ·
Don't see where a DA/SA with decocker helps much. If, in the "heat of the moment" you might get careless with a striker/safety, you might be as likely to forget to decock. If you legitimately worry about shooting yourself, get a revolver.

I can't pass up the irony of the fact that the name of the safety feature, and the effect of not using it, are the same.

#20 ·
For all the reasons mentioned in this thread, as an IDPA SO, I'm glad that IDPA does not allow appendix carry in matches. There's enough *****ing about the rule that they may allow it some day as USPSA does, but I don't look forward to it. My carry is 4 o'clock with a hammer fired pistol and a thumb safety. Col. Jeff, above, is right. I wouldn't feel comfortable even with MY pistol pointing it in the appendix direction, much less ANY striker pistol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.