PPQ/P99 Sight sizes and part numbers list - Page 4 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #31

Mig1 Unproven
You are correct, the Walther sites are sized by the notch width. The vertical plan is adjusted by the front sight heigth.

I need to buy a good set of calipers so I can measure the height as well.
Mig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #32

MacPPQ .22
I do not see any way we can solve the issues regarding these sights until we know the height of both front and rear sights. I probably need a Caliper for woodworking, but I don't have all the sights. I'm not even sure how one would take the reading? There is the thickness of the sights and then there is how high they sit from the slide of the gun. On the front sight the two may be the same. On the rear there is the dovetail and the mechanism that holds the sight in place, which certainly effect the height the sight is above the top of the slide.

I want that Dawson fiber optic sight but it want do me much good if I have no idea where I will be shooting once I put it on. Maybe there is not enough difference in sight heights (.180 vs .220 for instance) to make a huge difference at the POI?
MacPPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #33

jonm61 .22
A small difference in sight height will make a difference in your POI; the greater the distance, the bigger the difference.

In a .18 vs .22, at self defense ranges, 7-10 yards, as long as you're shooting center mass, probably not a problem. Anything over that, and you're going to start having problems.
When the SHTF, you won’t rise to the occasion, you’ll default to the level of your training.
Member NRA, USCCA, GeorgiaCarry.org
jonm61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #34

Mig1 Unproven
So, I went to Lowes and bought the best set of calipers they had ($30-$40). On the box it claims accuracy to 0.0001"

I measured my sights, but the front sights were hard to measure because of the protrusion on the bottom and the girth of the caliper prongs.

My P99 came with #3-#6 front sights.

I measured as best as I could from where the sight would sit on the top of the slide to the top of the sight.

Walther P99 Gen1 Factory Sights
#6 .206" 5.24mm
#5 .183" 4.64mm
#4 .173" 4.41mm
#3 .156" 3.95mm
Rear ears .206" 5.25mm
Rear center .125" 3.19mm

Trijicon rear ears .249" 6.34mm
Trijicon rear center .123" 3.13mm

I forgot to measure my Trijicon front. If I don't sell or trade the P99 today at the gunshow I'll measure the front.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #35

guymontag .22
Dawson Precision manufactures fiber and tritium front sights similar in height to the Walther #4 front sight. (.180 vs .177)

Dawson Precision also manufactures a rear sight to match the aforementioned front, leading me to believe it is similar in height to the Walther polymer rear sight. The rear notch is narrower for those who wish more of a "bullseye" sight picture that is "tighter" regarding the sight relationship.

More dimensions are listed on their website.
guymontag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #36

MacPPQ .22
Yeeea, maybe all the pleading & begging payed off!

I just ordered my rear sight I had the front sight. It looks like they only have one in inventory, if I am reading their info correctly. Would be nice to buy them out right after they stock them.

I finally got my XS Big Dot installed and like it too. I had to order a second front XS sight as the first one got buggered by me & then ruined by my gun smith. The installation instructions were missing information leading me to make an incorrect assumption....

My only issue with the Dawson front fiberoptic sight is it does not work at night. Well at least it does not collect enough light at night. I believe shinning a flashlight near it may solve the issue though. Now I have the target oriented Dawson sight and the faster arguably less accurate at distance XS sight to play with.

Now all we have to do is talk Dawson into providing some sort of night vile insert for their front sight. Although I suspect a Trijicon vile will not fit in the same hole as the small plastic fiber optic. Probably a night version would mean a whole new sight.
MacPPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #37

Utahgeoff .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPPQ View Post
Yeeea, maybe all the pleading & begging payed off!
They Sell a Tritium front sight too.
DP Tritium Inserted Front Sights for Walther PPQ Detail Page

Last edited by searcher451; 04-28-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: bandwidth
Utahgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #38

Mig1 Unproven
Added note and link about PPS sight #s being different from PPQ/P99 sight #s.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #39

Jdsdutchman .22
Thanks Mig1 this information is immensely helpful.
Jdsdutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #40

Mig1 Unproven
Added Dawson Precision sight heights and widths as well as the official numbers from the Trijicon website for both PPS style and P99 style sights.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Search tags for this page
p99 front sight
p99 sights
ppq parts

walther p99 front sight

walther p99 parts

walther p99 parts list

walther p99 sights

walther ppq
walther ppq front sight height

walther ppq front sights

walther ppq parts diagram

walther ppq parts list

Click on a term to search for related topics.