WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #11

Pepper .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcisland View Post
So the big question for me is what are the heights of the front sites from Trijicon and Meproplight? There has been issue with the night sites changing POA/POI.

I have emailed both companies for the spec's to add to this list but if anyone has a set they could measure that would speed things up.
I posted this info from Trijicon in another thread:

The front sight is .205 high and .142 wide, the rear sight is .246 and .181 wide notch.
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #12

Mig1 Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
I posted this info from Trijicon in another thread:

The front sight is .205 high and .142 wide, the rear sight is .246 and .181 wide notch.
Thanks, I'll add that to the first post.
Mig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #13

jonm61 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTuthill View Post
Still confused but we may be getting there.

The URL for the PPQ BoM that you provided doesn't work with either IE or Firefox. Not sure what's up with that. Although the P99 BoM does open up, it is showing steel phosphor sights as you note. Thus this does not appear to be the correct BoM for the US export version.

I did a crude measurement on my front PPQ #4 sight. It is definitely close to 3.8mm. Certainly not 4.5mm.

I am guessing that when they came out with the PPQ that they made the PPQ polymer sights the same height as the steel phosphor sights of the same number. Thus there indeed seems to be a difference in height of PPQ v P99 front sights of equal number designation, at least in the US export versions.
You can try the PPQ IPL that I posted. It's in the PPQ FAQ section.

The P99 IPL is the correct one. The very first part number listed is for the Polymer Sight Set #1-6. They just don't list out the heights of each polymer sight, probably because they only sell them as a set.

Quote:
Did I read the data correctly? The P99 and PPQ #4 front sights are different heights despite being interchangeable from an installation standpoint?

If so, that would amaze me. Are there any other distinguishing features?
Quote:
Yup that pretty much is the reason we are having this discussion. So far the data seem to indicate that US export P99 #4 front sights are higher than the US export PPQ #4's and the night sight OEM's copied the P99. That will bother some people but I'll just use sight picture #3 after I install night sights. If I am still getting low POI's, then it will start to bother me.
You're comparing steel sights to polymer sights. They are different in measurement both front and rear from the polymer sights.

The PPQ is shipped with polymer #3, not #4. The P99 is shipped with polymer #4.

The night sights have been built to the P99 sight specs and should match the P99 #4 polymer sight.

The exception to this is the Meprolight 18801, which has a shorter front sight. I can't get an exact measurement without removing it from my gun and it's on with red loctite, so I'm not messing with it, but it's close, if not identical, to the polymer #3 that's installed on the PPQ.
When the SHTF, you won’t rise to the occasion, you’ll default to the level of your training.
Member NRA, USCCA, GeorgiaCarry.org

Last edited by jonm61; 03-24-2012 at 12:49 PM.
jonm61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #14

Pepper .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm61 View Post
My PPQ came with a #4 polymer front sight. Maybe they made some changes or have had a stock issue.
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #15

RSTuthill .22
Quote:
OK, but there is the little matter of the number "4" that is embossed on the front ramp of the front sight of my pistol. So I will have to respectfully disagree.

That said, the sight material on my pistol sure as heck feels like steel, not polymer. I am a mechanical engineer, so I am fully aware that there are some pretty amazing polymers out there. But this sight material feels as hard as steel. Someone else said the same thing about their pistol. My serial number is FAK0162 so I probably have an early production copy. Might that make a difference? Were the early ones shipped with steel sights?
RSTuthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #16

jonm61 .22
All of the early reports were that it came with #3 sight and if the rear sight is adjustable, then they should be polymer sights. Since they don't list the polymer sight part numbers on the IPL, it's impossible to know if they made a change, but it's possible. They have made small changes before.

Outside of the First Edition's night sights, no one has reported having received steel sights on their PPQs...
When the SHTF, you won’t rise to the occasion, you’ll default to the level of your training.
Member NRA, USCCA, GeorgiaCarry.org
jonm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #17

RSTuthill .22
Quote:
Outside of the First Edition's night sights, no one has reported having received steel sights on their PPQs...
Jonm61, check out the My Front Sight Fell Off thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post
Balance: I can't check mine right now but I'm 99+% sure the sights(OEM 'day' type) are steel. My PPQ was made mid-2011 as it's test-fire date was in July of 2011.

If they are plastic, Walther really knows how to simulate steel.
That pretty much describes my sights too.

Edit: After this post I did a little experiment. I was loath to take the front sight off for obvious reasons despite having a 1.3mm Allen Head in my toolbox (I don't happen to have any blue Loctite). But the rear sight is easy, so I took that one off. It is very magnetic so it is certainly NOT polymer. And it is adjustable for windage.

Second edit: the point about leaving the drift screw in the rear sight while checking magnetic response I thought was a good catch. I had thought that little mass would make no difference. Took it out and sure enough, the sight is polymer and very little mass which is why the screw dominated the first response. Also took the front off and it too is polymer. The front is a #4, not #3, however, as originally stated.

Last edited by RSTuthill; 03-25-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #18

Frog_Poke .22
Having read every post above, I still cant figure out if the trijicon wp01 night sights will give me the same POA as the factory sights that come on the ppq. I really want the trijicons wp01O orange front, green back dots...however the mepros supposedly wont change the POA. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks!
Frog_Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #19

Mig1 Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog_Poke View Post
Having read every post above, I still cant figure out if the trijicon wp01 night sights will give me the same POA as the factory sights that come on the ppq. I really want the trijicons wp01O orange front, green back dots...however the mepros supposedly wont change the POA. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks!
Well, I have the Trijicons on a .40S&W P99, and it was the same as the stock sights for me. Again, that is the .40S&W and it was an early gen-1 model. Take that for what it's worth.
Mig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #20

RSTuthill .22
See my edits in my post above. Apologies for any confusion.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Search tags for this page
p99 front sight
p99 sights
ppq parts

walther p99 front sight

walther p99 parts

walther p99 parts list

walther p99 sights

walther ppq
walther ppq front sight height

walther ppq front sights

walther ppq parts diagram

walther ppq parts list

Click on a term to search for related topics.