How are dot sights set? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 02:43 AM   #1

Kjos29 .22
How are dot sights set?

I'm trying to find out how to aim correctly with this gun? The sample target that came with my PPQ shot at 15m/16yards has literally 1 inch group.(awesome) Just wondering how how to aim these dot sights correctly? Thanks
Kjos29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #2

jonm61 .22
With the PPQ, you'll want to use #3

pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » Sight Picture
When the SHTF, you won’t rise to the occasion, you’ll default to the level of your training.
Member NRA, USCCA, GeorgiaCarry.org
jonm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #3

Kjos29 .22
Thanks, I'll give her a whorl.
Kjos29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #4

RSTuthill .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm61 View Post
With the PPQ, you'll want to use #3
Hmm ... I thought the consensus was the #2 picture with PPQ bill of material sights and the #3 picture if you install Trijicon or Meprolight night sights due to the fact that the P99 sights (for which the night sights are a direct replacement) use a taller #4 front than the PPQ #3. No?

Just asking. I'll defer to your expertise.
RSTuthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #5

mkejake .22
I am interested in a definitive answer myself. I'm grouping but not where I want them to be. I'm starting to question myself lol.
mkejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Seems to me that, depending on the set of eyes that is looking through the gun sights, any one of these options could work. Much depends on how you personally align the pistol and at what point you decide to pull the trigger. That having been said, check the manual. At one point, and I'm sure that it still holds true, Walther provided an appropriate sight picture of its firearms.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #7

jonm61 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTuthill View Post
Hmm ... I thought the consensus was the #2 picture with PPQ bill of material sights and the #3 picture if you install Trijicon or Meprolight night sights due to the fact that the P99 sights (for which the night sights are a direct replacement) use a taller #4 front than the PPQ #3. No?

Just asking. I'll defer to your expertise.
They're all so close that, as Searcher said, any of them will work, especially at defensive range.

What you said is actually the reverse. The PPQ comes from the factory with a shorter front sight than the P99 and its aftermarket sights, so #3 with the factory PPQ sight, #2 with the P99 factory and aftermarket sights.
When the SHTF, you won’t rise to the occasion, you’ll default to the level of your training.
Member NRA, USCCA, GeorgiaCarry.org
jonm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #8

burntorangefan .22
And what about the First Edition factory installed sights? Mine seem best with the top of the front sight just under the bottom edge of the target...would that be right? I ask, obviously, because my groups are good but not definitive of the sight picture yet...also, I haven't really spent much time trying to shoot it like a target pistol, I've been shooting so quickly that it's a little tough to tell...
burntorangefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #9

bigfatdave .38
the sights "just under the target" only works for target shooting on known size targets at a known distance.

search the phrase "sight picture" and you'll get more info than I could ever cram into one post, from much more experienced shooters.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...ght+picture%22

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #10

RSTuthill .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm61 View Post
What you said is actually the reverse. The PPQ comes from the factory with a shorter front sight than the P99 and its aftermarket sights, so #3 with the factory PPQ sight, #2 with the P99 factory and aftermarket sights.
All good stuff. Thanks. The above quote was exactly what I was trying to say but I thought the higher the number meant the taller the front sight and that I had read that on this forum. Somehow I had in my head that it was a dimension in millimeters from the base of the sight to the center of the dot or something.
RSTuthill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Search tags for this page
#1 or #2 rear sight for p99
how to adjust 3 dot sights
how to aim walther ppq

how to use 3 dot gun sights

how to use 3 dot sights

sar k2p sights
two dot pistol sights forum
visier kpl. walther 99
walther 3 dot white sight set
walther p99 front sight 3.6mm
walther pistols sight picture three dot
walther steel sight height
Click on a term to search for related topics.