Slide not locking back after last round. PPQ 9mm - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #11

Elbows .22
Coming from a P2000 with nearly identical controls, this is pretty common (very common I'd argue). Lots of thumbs high grip users will apply gentle downward pressure on the extended length slide release (something like the PPQ, P2000). I did this constantly during quals with my P2000.

I just got used to it, and when I clicked empty, drop the magazine, change mags, and slingshot the slide as normal. The only other frequent cause of this is worn out, abused magazines, where the spring pressure is no longer sufficient to operate the slide lock/slide release.

I doubt that is the case. Failing those two possibilities, perhaps debris inside the handgun in some location, or within the magazine could be causing it.

Regarding PPQ failures and issues - it's going to happen, especially with a new handgun. It's the quantity and repetition of any certain failure which concerns me. Now, if we all hit 1,000 rounds, and...slides start cracking on 40% of the guns in the forum...we have a serious problem. I'd guess the PPQ is probably selling faster than most other polymer guns right now. It's getting good press, and is quickly developing a cult status.

As buyers increase, so will reports of failures. Heck I saw a breech face on a 2009 Glock G19 with low-round-count break on another forum. I've never seen that before...doesn't mean all of a sudden Glock is a sh_t gun.

I'll be the first guy to admit, I'll jump ship on a gun if it becomes unreliable to me. I like my PPQs, but if serious issues crop up with frequency, I'll have no problem ditching it to go elsewhere. So just chill out, and keep an eye on stuff as it comes in. Walther has probably sold several thousand PPQs already. When someone buys one and has an issue, what are they going to google first? Walther+Forum...which will lead them here, where they'll ask for advice etc.

Now calculate the 90% of other users who don't bother getting on a forum like this, who's guns may be working 100%. You will always see a disproportionate number of complaints vs. praise on any manufacturer style forum. I see it on every single one I go to. The general consensus on this forum has been shockingly good by comparison to many. In fact I thought it near suspicious in the jovial nature of this forum when I joined.

Now add to all of this that a manufacturer like Walther NEEDS to hear if something is happening with frequency in order to fix it. If S&W service starts turning a blind eye to issues with Walther firearms, I'll also jump ship. But for now, my guns are good, and nothing has spooked me too much.

Just breathe PPQGunner.
Elbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #12

Ralph .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5GEE View Post
Went to the range yesterday and today. Towards the end of a 1 hour session I noticed the slide is not locking back after the last round. I'll rack it back manually w/ an empty cartridge and it will lock.
Tried less rounds in each magazine a few times. 5,3 and 1 round. Still didn't lock after last round. By this time I had to pack it up and leave.
So far my gun has around 800 rounds shot through it. I usually clean it after 150 rounds. When I went shooting today, I didn't clean it from yesterday, but it was locking back earlier when I started shooting.
Could it possibly be a heating issue? The problem seems to occur after 75 rounds .... this is what I notice today.
Any help would be great.

thanks
Another thing you can try in addition to another mag, is to shoot the pistol with one hand (strong arm) By doing this you'll be keeping your thumb off the slide release, if it locks back when the mag is empty, you just found your problem,(thumb hitting slide release) if it dosen't, mark that mag and keep seperate, repeat this little test again with a different mag..
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Went to the range yesterday and today. Towards the end of a 1 hour session I noticed the slide is not locking back after the last round. I'll rack it back manually w/ an empty cartridge and it will lock.
Tried less rounds in each magazine a few times. 5,3 and 1 round. Still didn't lock after last round. By this time I had to pack it up and leave.
So far my gun has around 800 rounds shot through it. I usually clean it after 150 rounds. When I went shooting today, I didn't clean it from yesterday, but it was locking back earlier when I started shooting.
Could it possibly be a heating issue? The problem seems to occur after 75 rounds .... this is what I notice today.
Any help would be great.

thanks
Take the magazine apart and clean it. When mags get dirty, it's at the top end first, which is where the magazine follower must rise smartly in order to activate the holdopen before the slide returns to battery. That's also where the follower has the least spring power; if it's sluggish from fouling, it won't make it in time. The fact that yours works manually is the clue.

It also might be marginally short recoil, coupled with the fact that your hand is getting tired toward the end of the session. One solution is more powerful ammo.

In any event it's not a "heat" issue.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #14

X5GEE .22
Update: Went to the range today. Made sure my thumb was nowhere near the slide release. Well after 75 rounds, my PPQ worked perfectly! I feel so much better now. Thanks everyone for their inputs.
X5GEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #15

Boogs .22
Quote:
Update: Went to the range today. Made sure my thumb was nowhere near the slide release. Well after 75 rounds, my PPQ worked perfectly! I feel so much better now. Thanks everyone for their inputs.
Whoever bought my PPQ, I would like it back now..
Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #16

X5GEE .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogs View Post
Whoever bought my PPQ, I would like it back now..
hahahaa!!! I guess I was trying a different grip on the gun and didn't realize I was hitting the slide. My mind was constantly focused on the target. Aaaah ... rookie PPQ mistake.
X5GEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #17

Shockwave .22
Quote:
Thanks for the update! Info like this is very helpful when making the transition to a new platform.
Shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #18

teammazza .22
It seems to me people are just trying to find problems with this great gun. Ive put hundreds of rds through mine and its the best gun I have ever shot. For all those nit picking nannys who go over the gun with a flashlight for hours just trying to find something wrong. Clean the gun, oil it, hold it right and shoot it like you stole it. You will not be disappointed.
teammazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #19

Chadwick99 .22
About 1700 rounds through mine and not one issue. Best gun I've owned so far.
Chadwick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
PPQ

PPQ .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPQ9Gunner View Post
Geez. Seems like there is a new problem with the PPQ every day I check back on these forums. Makes worry if I bought a quality gun or a $500 piece of garbage?
I'm sure the gun is garbage...you should turn it over to me for proper disposal...

$500??? I got mine when they first came out and paid $650...Zero problems to date...you should have paid your local gun shop more and gotten the "No Problems" model...
j.k likes this.

Walther PPQ .40 S&W
Walther PPK/s .380
Walther P22CA
PPQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Search tags for this page
ppq not locking slide

ppq slide not locking back

ppq slide not locking on last shot
slide lock does not lock ppq 22
slide not locking back on last round
walter ppq slide not locking after last round
walter ppq slide not locking back on last round
walther ppq slide
walther ppq slide doesn't lock back after last shot

walther ppq slide lock

walther ppq slide not locking back

why is walther ppq slide not locking?
Click on a term to search for related topics.