Question on German versus S&W pistols - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
GJM

GJM .22
Question on German versus S&W pistols

A buddy was told that there are significant quality differences between the Walther PPS and PPQ pistols imported by S&W and the German Walther pistols available thru Earl's at substantially greater cost. I was not familiar with this, found nothing in a search, and thought I would ask the question here.
GJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #2

grumpy1 .22
Nope - he is wrong.

You are just paying extra to not have the S&W import mark on them.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

balance .22
Exactly.

Earl has been stating that his Walther pistols were somehow better for many years now, without any specifics on how.

Check the prices of pistols and accessories on his site:

Walther Firearms and Accessories, Earl's Repair Service Inc. - Home Page

You can also contact him and ask him personally.

He has a huge selection of hard to find accessories for Walther pistols, and he seems to know his stuff, but until I hear specifics, I don't believe it. I guess he needs to justify his prices somehow.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #4

grumpy1 .22
My guess is that he buys his pistols in lots of tens while S&W gets them in lots of thousands. There could be HUGE different in cost between what each pays.

If there was any difference in quality between what each buys then I would expect different part numbers for each for at least some components.

Has anyone ever called Walther customer service about their PPS/PPS/PPQ and been asked if they had the S&W import stamp on them or not??

IMO it certainly would NOT be in Walthers best interest to produce different levels of quality within the same exact model number.

Last edited by grumpy1; 01-23-2012 at 04:40 PM.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
GJM

GJM .22
My friend called to cancel, and Earl now says that there is a different US and International model of each pistol, and that he has the International model, which has different part numbers and parts than the US version (which he says is inferior). Sounds bizarre to me, but Earl tells my friend it is clear on the Walther web site.

Further info -- the Walther web site shows a different part number for the US slide versus the slide on the International model. Earl says that S&W asked Walther to redesign the slide to allow them to sell the pistol at a lower price point, hence the different part numbers for the slides. Earl says there are other part differences as well, although the barrels are identical.

Last edited by GJM; 01-23-2012 at 05:36 PM.
GJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #6

Rothenfluh .22
Both (Earls and those imported by S&W) are manufactured, assembled and proofed in the old country. The only difference is that the PPQ/PPS imported by S&W pistols say S&W on them and PPQ/PPS imported by Earls say Earls as the importer. That is it. And Earl is just being Earl...

Now, it is true that, at least according to his website, Earl has the PPQ Navy. I think it comes with a threaded barrel may maybe some other high speed stuff. I have not seen the PPQ Navy for sale here in the States except through Earls. If he is refering to the Navy as "having different part numbers" he is splitting hairs and I would consider it rather disingenuous. If that is what he is saying.

Having said that, Earl does have some cool, albeit expensive, Walther toys.

R

Last edited by Rothenfluh; 01-23-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Rothenfluh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #7

Iyyob .22
I've heard of differnt P99 Models that weren't imported to the US like the p99rad(older PPQ) but not differnt versions of the PPQ other than the first edition, which I'm sure if he has any will show the same mistake as the one the rest of the ppqs have
Iyyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #8

balance .22
Quote:
and Earl now says that there is a different US and International model of each pistol
I believe there is a "USA version" and an "International version" of the P99, though I'm not sure if those are the labels given by Walther for the pistols. The P99 pistols sold in most countries other than the US (International version?) have the same ambidextrous slide release levers as the PPQ:

http://www.carlwalther.de/index.php?...=1&product=860

International
PS = steel sights with phosphor 3-dot
AM = elongated ambidextrous slide stop
LM = long magazine release

S&W only imports the P99 with the slide release lever on one side. But last I checked, Earl's P99 was the same version as S&W's P99.

There should be no difference in quality between those P99s with single sided slide release levers and ambidextrous slide release levers, and there should be no difference at all between the PPS and PPQ pistols sold anywhere in the world.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #9

Iyyob .22
I think balance hit the nail on the head

Last edited by Iyyob; 01-23-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: I gave incorrect info, balance got it before I could fix it lol
Iyyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #10

balance .22
PPQ Navy:

Carl Walther GmbH

I just checked Earl's site and he has "Price On Request" next to the option to buy, so I doubt he has any in stock. I'm sure if Walther released the Navy already, TANFOGLIO would have already posted pictures.

Last edited by balance; 01-23-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Search tags for this page
carl walther p22 pistols
difference between walther ppq and pps

earl's repair service

earls guns

german made walther ppk pistol

german vs us made walther ppk
walther p99 import markings

walther pistol quality

walther pistols german
where are walther pistols made
where is the walther ppq made
where is walther ppq made
Click on a term to search for related topics.