WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 03:45 AM   #1

Iron Man .22
P99 and PPQ comparison

Hi all,

I have done an extensive comparison between a first generation P99, third generation P99, and the new PPQ. I have included two holsters, and three laser/lights. I also did a shooting comparison. If you are interested I threw it together on a web page so it wouldn't be such a long thread.

Click walthercomp to see the comparison.

I didn't know if this should go here, or in the P99 section. Since I just got my PPQ yesterday I figured I would post it here.
saym14 likes this.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #2

Gary1911A1 .22
Nice review. Thanks.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #3

balance .22
Excellent Iron Man, thank you. How are you liking the PPQ now that it has been compared to the P99?
balance is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #4

rifleshooter474 .22
Thumbs up

Really a nice review, just wish you had tried the P99 Mag in the PPQ at range.
rifleshooter474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Rock-solid stuff, Iron Man; nice job. And nice photos, too. We'll Stick this one for future reference.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #6

Iron Man .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
Excellent Iron Man, thank you. How are you liking the PPQ now that it has been compared to the P99?
I am afraid I am liking it more than my P99s. The pros are the ergonomic grips that allow me to keep a more consistent handle on the weapon, the grooves on the front of the slide, and the newness of the pistol. New = tight = accuracy. As illustrated, my generation 1 P99 had a wider pattern which I relate to age and use.

Also, both P99s, when I purchased them, had taller front sights. European gun makers often design their sights so that you cover your target with the front sight. Western designers build their sights for pumpkin on post sighting. This results in a western style shooter hitting the target very low with European sights. The PPQ appears to be designed for pumpkin on post aiming and was very accurate right out of the box.

Oh, and let's not forget the nice accessory rail. I love to hang stuff off of a pistol!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #7

rifleshooter474 .22
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I am afraid I am liking it more than my P99s. The pros are the ergonomic grips that allow me to keep a more consistent handle on the weapon, the grooves on the front of the slide, and the newness of the pistol. New = tight = accuracy. As illustrated, my generation 1 P99 had a wider pattern which I relate to age and use.

Also, both P99s, when I purchased them, had taller front sights. European gun makers often design their sights so that you cover your target with the front sight. Western designers build their sights for pumpkin on post sighting. This results in a western style shooter hitting the target very low with European sights. The PPQ appears to be designed for pumpkin on post aiming and was very accurate right out of the box.

Oh, and let's not forget the nice accessory rail. I love to hang stuff off of a pistol!
I noticed you used a Para in review the post, I have a Para CCO LDA .45acp,and it's trigger is the standard IMHO that all other triggers should follow.
rifleshooter474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #8

Iron Man .22
I have two Paras, a P12.45 and a P16.40. They are both excellent firearms. I like them because they are double stack pistols, but I have about ten variations of the 1911 (to which I am partial). I own a lot of guns, but more Walthers of a single brand than any other.

If I had wanted to really explore my .40 options I would have included my Sig 226 and my Beretta 96.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #9

Iron Man .22
Additional PPQ information

I just got off the phone with Walther. I was ordering a new slide stop and spring for my first gen P99 and spoke at length with customer service about the PPQ.

First, the .40 S&W magazines are identical between the P99 and PPQ and ARE interchangable.
Second, I was challenged by some guys on another forum who told me I was full of crap about the difference in the sights. I confirmed that I was correct. Although the sights are mounted the same on both the P99 models and the PPQ, the PPQ front sight is indeed lower. The P99 front sights are designed for point of aim with the front sight white dot on point of impact. The PPQ is designed with the top of the front sight to be point of impact. If you add aftermarket P99 fiber optic sights you will most likely change your point of aim on your PPQ.
Third, I asked about the transponder ID that is on the back of the grip. I searched for a transponder in the pistol and found none. In Europe, all pistols are traceable by an electronic transponder identifier. These are removed prior to shipment to the United States as they violate privacy laws.
Soldiernurse and Viper45 like this.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #10

checkyour6 .22
Thank you, nice review and interesting info on the sights of the two guns.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Search tags for this page
compare walther ppq vs p99
p99 or ppq

p99 vs ppq

ppq or p99

ppq vs p99

walther p99 or ppq

walther p99 vs ppq

walther p99 vs. ppq
walther ppq or p99

walther ppq vs p99

walther ppq vs walther p99
walther ppq vs. p99
Click on a term to search for related topics.