P99 and PPQ comparison - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #21

Axiom2000 .22
Quote:
It sounds to me like the extractor claw is digging into the brass a little so it doesn't let go quickly enough at the proper time. Maybe some polishing of the sharp corners on that claw will resolve it?

I sent an email to Smith & Wesson Customer Service, with some pictures. I was asked to take the gun to a gunsmith for a look see and if it was determined there was an issue they would send me a mailing label to send it in. I took it back where I purchased and the owner just said it looks like the brass is hitting it on the way out, put some oil on it and clean it off. I tried and maybe got some of it off but I am still not convinced this is normal.

Not real knowledgeable about the inner working of guns so I would appreciate it if you could include a picture of the Extractor Claw you referenced.

Thanks
Jerry
Axiom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #22

rhodco .22
Under normal operation if the claw is clean, dry, and smooth, it will release the brass at precisely the right time.

Here is a parts diagram for the PPQ (disregard the name of the folder) -
http://www.taffilot.com/Beretta92/PPQ.pdf

The extractor is part number 5. The claw is the left end of it. You (or a gunsmith) would have to remove the extractor and polish any burrs or sharp edges around the claw that could be scratching the rim of the brass casing.

Before you go to that trouble, I would recommend you just clean under it real good with some solvent and a pipe cleaner to see if maybe it's just some sticky residue under there.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #23

Axiom2000 .22
Quote:
Before you go to that trouble, I would recommend you just clean under it real good with some solvent and a pipe cleaner to see if maybe it's just some sticky residue under there.
Yep, you were right, there was some sticky goo right behind the claw. I sprayed it with Rem Oil and cleaned it out then hit it with compressed air. Wiped it down as good as I could then just oiled the area a little bit. We shall see if that fixes it or not, hope so. This was an area I was obviously missing when cleaning, I will not make that mistake again. Thanks

Jerry
Axiom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #24

Mig1 Unproven
Hey guys, I have a question about the PPQ rail vs the P99 later generation rail.

Do any of the lots in the rail on the PPQ exist at the same distance as the slot in the P99 rail?

The reasons I ask is that I am wondering if something designed to fit on the P99 open rail version will line up the same on the PPQ.
Mig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #25

jonm61 .22
I'm not sure about the slot distance, but the difference in triggerguard will prevent many things from lining up the same...
When the SHTF, you won’t rise to the occasion, you’ll default to the level of your training.
Member NRA, USCCA, GeorgiaCarry.org
jonm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #26

Mig1 Unproven
Good point. Thanks.
Mig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #27

Kiba .22
Iron Man I have a test for ya. I don't know if you'd want to, but have you tried swapping the barrels around to see if they will work in the other slides/frames? Maybe not actually shooting live rounds but maybe snap caps. The wear and tear of the older barrels might react badly if live ammo was used. Just trying to figure out if the barrels are the same to the point that if both PPQ and P99 .40 owners could all order threaded barrels together.

Thanks!

Edit: I guess I "jumped the gun" on this. It seems many have already tried, asked, and posted about this very subject. Just eager to possibly get a .40 s&w threaded barrel.

Last edited by Kiba; 02-07-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:23 AM   #28

ZarZ .22
P99 and PPQ comparison

Kiba I believe someone here swapped the whole slide/barrel assembly on a P99 and PPQ and fired both.

There are problems with doing that, if you decock P99 slide on PPQ frame you can't fire till you rack it back enough to reset the striker.

I know it's not exactly the same, because they are 9mm, but my PPQ M1 and P99 have identical barrels.

Last edited by ZarZ; 02-07-2014 at 05:26 AM.
ZarZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #29

Wabbit69 .22
Update: After three pistol courses over the last year, I picked up a PPQ M2 in 9mm to replace my P99QA for EDC. Much better. The difference in the triggers is like night and day. Accuracy, working the trigger as fast as the reset allows, is just downright scary. I sold the P99, but I now kind of wish I kept it for basic marksmanship practice.
Wabbit69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #30

stro88 .22
Just picked up a PPQ M1 before there is no more to be found to compliment my p99 which I love and has made a convert from glocks to walther for me. Although I like the style of trigger that the glocks and ppq has, I am more keen on the DA/SA triggers myself. I can't wait to receive this new addition to the stable. Including the PPS my walther family line is growing.
stro88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Search tags for this page
compare walther ppq vs p99
p99 or ppq

p99 vs ppq

ppq or p99

ppq vs p99

walther p99 or ppq

walther p99 vs ppq

walther p99 vs. ppq
walther ppq or p99

walther ppq vs p99

walther ppq vs walther p99
walther ppq vs. p99
Click on a term to search for related topics.