very nice review and input, thank you.
Glock34 gen.4
spike tact.m4 5.56mm heavily mod.
veltor/noveske m4 5.56mm heavily mod.
ozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #12

Wabbit69 .22
I went to the range yesterday with some colleagues. I had my relatively new .40 P99QA, purchased in just a few weeks ago. One of my friends rented a Glock 19, while the other brought his Ruger (don't recall if it was a P89 or P95). Since I purchased my P99, I've been to the range quite a bit and have made a lot of progress with my marksmanship. I've gotten to the point that I can put at least three out of five rounds in the smaller diamonds of 100 yd rifle targets, albeit only out to 7 yards. When I borrowed the G19 rental, I suddenly realized how much of a challenge the trigger pull of the P99QA, along with the recoil of the .40. At 7 yards, I found I could almost pick which corner of the diamond that I wanted to hit. As pleasant as it was, there were some things that I didn't like about the Glock. First off, as far a ergonomics go, the Glock felt like a 1 x 3 in my hand compared to the P99. The P99 with the medium grip melts into my palm, keeping the trigger on the first pad with just a hint of gap between my index finger and the frame. Second: I could not reach the Glock's mag release without manipulating my wrist. With the P99, I can drop a magazine and re-load while keeping the sight picture on-target the whole time. Third, for me, the slide release on the P99 is much easier to manipulate compared to the Glock. After getting back from the range, I was starting to think that a PPQ in 9mm is on my shopping list. I would love to hear some opinions on the trigger of the PPQ. I'm not inclined to give up my P99QA. I'm thinking that even if I get the PPQ, the P99 will still serve as a very valuable training tool with a heavier trigger and stouter recoil, but nearly identical ergonomics and manual-of-arms.
Wabbit69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Wabbit69: In my view, the trigger on the PPQ is infinitely better than the trigger on the P99QA model. For that matter, the trigger on the P99AS is infinitely better than the trigger on the P99QA. But that's just it: If you prefer the QA trigger over the AS trigger, there's little reason to believe that you would like the trigger on a PPQ, which has far more in common with the AS trigger than it does the QA trigger.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #14

balance .22
I believe the constant action trigger on the PPQ is closer to the P99QA and Glock trigger, than the DA/SA on the P99AS.

I think the PPQ improved on the three areas that I hear the most complaints about with Glock pistols. The grip, grip angle, and trigger. If you prefer pistols with the same trigger from the first to the last shot, and you like pistols with good triggers and good ergonomics, I'd suggest a PPQ.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #15

Wabbit69 .22
Searcher and Balance,
Thanks for the input. Long story short, I think Balance hit the nail right on the head. I am still very pleased with the P99QA. Being mindful that the double action revolvers served the law-enforcement community very well for most of the twentieth century, I can't even say that the relatively heavy trigger is a "gripe". Sure, it's a challenge, but one that can be overcome with proper training and practice, which became obvious to me when I shot the Glock. Going from the 8+ lb trigger to a 5 lb or so was like night and day. This was sort of analagous to me getting used to playing pool on a 9 ft regulation table, then being challenged by some dimwit in a bar with a 6 foot pay-table. Them pockets are a whole lot easier to hit when they're two or three feet closer. (The crappy little tables were usually not flat, though, which necessitated a subtle change in tactics).I chose the QA over the AS for first-to-last shot consistencey, considering that the purpose was purely defensive. What get's me excited about the thought of the PPQ is the combination of the best of all worlds. From what I've experienced with my P99, and what I've heard about the PPQ, I've got a hunch that Walther has a serious contender to challenge Glock's dominance in a lot of markets. All they need is some good marketing and a couple of endorsements. It will be interesting to see how S&W, as their US distributor, plays along, considering this is pretty much what they're hoping for with the M&P.
Wabbit69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #16

ans1215 .22
Iron Man,

How old is the blackhawk serpa in your review, i was at the lgs today and after reading your review just double checked and the one they had for the p99 fit the ppq perfectly. the ambi slide release was not an issue, for those who are reading this before reading the thread about holsters you may want to notate that on there. also i have noticed in my own experience that there are holsters that have been redesigned for the gen3 p99 with the more rounded trigger guard, that wont work with the early p99 or ppq. the holster companies should be more specific about which ones fit which models or at least put a production date on their packaging and indicate fitment.
ans1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #17

Axiom2000 .22
Quote:
One final note...I did notice that the extractor on the PPQ was flipping the casings back against the slide leaving marks just aft of the ejection port on the right side.
I have had my PPQ for about 3 weeks shooting about 500 rounds with it. I also noticed these marks developing on mine. They appear to be worse with every visit to the range.

Tired to take a PIC, the focus is not as good as it could be, but you can make them out with no problems.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...0/100_0984.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...0/100_0979.jpg
Axiom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #18

rhodco .22
Ironman and Axiom2000, did you guys ever figure out why your PPQ is flipping brass back against the slide and leaving marks?

It sounds to me like the extractor claw is digging into the brass a little so it doesn't let go quickly enough at the proper time. Maybe some polishing of the sharp corners on that claw will resolve it?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #19

2008fx4 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodco View Post
Ironman and Axiom2000, did you guys ever figure out why your PPQ is flipping brass back against the slide and leaving marks?

It sounds to me like the extractor claw is digging into the brass a little so it doesn't let go quickly enough at the proper time. Maybe some polishing of the sharp corners on that claw will resolve it?
put 499 rounds through mine today - (1 bad factory loaded round) and noticed these marks on mine. came off some with cleaning, but still there. might try polishing the extractor and see if that helps.
2008fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #20

Rothenfluh .22
Thank you Iron Man. Thorough review.

R

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Search tags for this page
compare walther ppq vs p99
p99 or ppq

p99 vs ppq

ppq or p99

ppq vs p99

walther p99 or ppq

walther p99 vs ppq

walther p99 vs. ppq
walther ppq or p99

walther ppq vs p99

walther ppq vs walther p99
walther ppq vs. p99
Click on a term to search for related topics.