PPQ Night Sights: General sights recommendations - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #1

RallyJeep .22
PPQ Night Sights: General sights recommendations

Just finished putting on a set of Trijicon night sights. It's kind of fun to look over on the shelf in the dark and see three little dots.

P22

...and a whole bunch more that aren't Walthers...
RallyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #2

balance .22
I had the same sights on my .40 cal P99 years ago. They seemed to work pretty good, and I agree about having those dots right there in front of you at night. I may get another set of them for my PPQ.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:12 AM   #3

Elbows .22
Trijicon makes some phenomenal sites. It's unfortunate that the new Trijicon HDs will likely not be produce for the P99/PPQ (they only make a few right now). They make great optics.
Elbows is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #5

papajoe .22
question installing front NS

I have a new PPQ build date 8/10/11. the front sight looks like it is staked,shaped like an H. If I break off the front sight will there be a hole to install a night sight that has to be screwed in like the Glock??????? See attached photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Sight 004.jpg (59.8 KB, 606 views)
papajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #6

RallyJeep .22
Guy at my local gun shop thought it was staked too until I took a little .050" hex key and unscrewed the tiny little threaded pin in the middle. It threads in and pushes out on the plastic to hold it in place. Unscrew that and it will pop right out.
P22

...and a whole bunch more that aren't Walthers...
RallyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #7

papajoe .22
Thanks

Thanks RallyJeep, will try it when I order the night sights. Will have to wait a couple of weeks for them after I just got the PPQ & ordered 3 mags & a holster.
papajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #8

Grey40 .22
The manual, in the section talking about sight removal, states it's a 1.3mm allen screw.
Grey40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #9

jonm61 .22
Here are a couple of other threads with opinions on various night sights.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...ns-sights.html

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...ht-sights.html
When the SHTF, you won’t rise to the occasion, you’ll default to the level of your training.
Member NRA, USCCA, GeorgiaCarry.org
jonm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #10

Grey40 .22
Meprolight Installation

Well, I finally got around to installing the Meps I bought a week ago. Here are some pics and comments.

Lets start out with the completed job:

The rear sight is simple to install. The windage adjustment screw threads into the sight body. This assembly is restrained by a spring pin with a slot in its top. The windage screw head fits into this slot. Press down on the pin with a non marring tool; I used the tip of a wooden chopstick. While pressing down, slide the sight to the left (away from the pin you're pressing on). Keep pressure on the pin after the sight comes off and release pressure very slowly else it'll fly off.

This shows a good view of the sight adjustment screw and the spring loaded pin that restrains it:

Remove the adjustment screw from the old rear sight and install it into the new sight. Note that these are reverse threads, so turn clockwise to remove. Slide the new sight back on, press down on the pin, and capture the screw head in the slot atop the spring loaded pin -- this step should be obvious if you've successfully removed the old sight.

Now it's time to remove the factory front sight. If it's the polymer sight like I had, you need a 1.3mm Allen wrench to remove it. I picked up a set for a few bucks at Harbor Freight that had one in it. If you have a 1.25mm wrench, that'll work also. And I don't doubt you can find a small non-metric wrench that would fit but you may risk damaging the screw head.

Here are the factory sights. Note the small screw that I left backed out of the front sight.

I didn't take step-by-step photos of the front sight installation. It's pretty obvious how it goes on. The sight should fit flush on the top of the slide. If it doesn't you may need to file it a bit. I used a dab of red Loctite both in the screw hole and on the screw threads. To install the front sight screw you'll need a 3/16" hex driver. Any of the tools advertised for Glock, XD, etc, sights will work. In another thread, Riogrande481 mentioned he used a nut driver from Sears. I snagged one of these and while it did work if you have (or can borrow) one of the custom sight tools it'll be easier. The problem is the head of the screw is very, very thin. Most commercial nut drivers have a bevel on the end to make it easier to slip over the nut. With the Sears driver I was able to get the nut almost tight then it wouldn't grab anymore. I ended up giving it a final snug using some fine tip needle nose pliers I have.

Front sight restraining nut:

Close up of front Meprolight:

Another shot of the finished install:

Lights on and off:

This was a very easy install but if I were to do it again I'd pony up the $15 for a front sight tool.
gene 1 and Djach like this.

Last edited by Grey40; 11-06-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Grey40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Search tags for this page
night sights for ppq
night sights for walther ppq
night sights walther ppq

ppq night sights

ppq sights
trijicon night sights walther ppq
walther pk380 night sights
walther ppq accessories
walther ppq factory night sights

walther ppq night sights

walther ppq night sights for sale

walther ppq sights

Click on a term to search for related topics.