Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By imaoldfart
  • 1 Post By Winkman822

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2018, 11:07 PM   #1

stevefogg .22
Angry PPQ Q4 Fails to go into battery

My new PPQ Q4 is a big disappointment. About every fifth round the slide fails to close completely and, if I pull the trigger, it goes fully forward but is un-cocked and will not fire in spite of a new round being chambered. I have tried bumping the slide forward and the same problem occurs. I am using Magtech ammo but no difference with other brands. Never had this problem with my Glocks and I am wondering if I made a big mistake buying this gun.
stevefogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Slide not fully returning to battery is a common complaint. It is affected by many things, such as lube, grip (meaning limp wristing), ammo, etc, etc.... When the slide cycles, the striker is being cocked (compressed) during the last 3/8" inch of forward slide movement. That's the point where the sear catches and holds the striker as the slide continues forward. When the slide stops just short of full battery, all you have to do is bump the rear of the slide with the heel of your hand, forcing the slide the rest of the way into battery. That'll put the slide into battery and the striker will be cocked.

When you had the slide stop, just short of battery and you pulled the trigger, guess what happened? Pulling the trigger, released the striker, letting it snap forward....this action also means the recoil spring can NOW push the slide the rest of the way into battery, as its no longer working against the striker spring. YES, when you do that, the striker will not be cocked, because you just pulled the trigger, which releases the striker. You would need to move the slide rearward about 3/8"....to the point where the sear catches the striker, then you'll need to push the slide forward into battery.....THIS will recock the striker without ejecting the round that's in the chamber.

Your Q4 should improve with use.....meaning more rounds. Also need to ensure its well lubricated and you need to use a firm grip.
DavidS likes this.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 10-23-2018 at 03:20 PM.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #3

DavidS .22
message deleted

Last edited by DavidS; 10-23-2018 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Not worth it
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2018, 08:15 PM   #4
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
This is the price paid by range commandos for that orgasmic trigger pull. Glocks don't have such sensual delight, but they also don't have these kinds of problems.

It's also the reason I avoid all the new-generation polymer striker-fired pistols as if they were drinking water in scheissehole countries.

If you absolutely must have a striker-fired pistol, get a Glock. If you must quench your thirst abroad, drink beer.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 10-23-2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Wanted to test multi-lingual censorship
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #5

Winkman822 .22
Assuming the gun is properly cleaned and lubed and it's happening across a variety of ammunition types, I'd assume this is a user induced issue. I've given absolute nubile, novice shooters my Glock 19 and they've had similar problems occur when not applying enough grip pressure.
Slartybartfast likes this.
PPS Classic
PPQ M1
PPQ M1 5"
Winkman822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
I'm not saying the Glock is immune to limp-wristing. It's not. But I am saying that there is a design advantage to a system that does not depend on the velocity of the slide in the last few millimeters of travel (over which the shooter has no control) to fully cock the striker.

In a Glock one's trigger finger finishes the partial cocking accomplished by the slide, irrespective of any resistance and consequential loss of slide velocity when chambering the cartridge. Dividing that task is beneficial to reliability, though at the expense of crisp trigger pull.

It's always a compromise; there's no free lunch.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #7

Winkman822 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
I'm not saying the Glock is immune to limp-wristing. It's not. But I am saying that there is a design advantage to a system that does not depend on the velocity of the slide in the last few millimeters of travel (over which the shooter has no control) to fully cock the striker.

In a Glock one's trigger finger finishes the partial cocking accomplished by the slide, irrespective of any resistance and consequential loss of slide velocity when chambering the cartridge. Dividing that task is beneficial to reliability, though at the expense of crisp trigger pull.

It's always a compromise; there's no free lunch.

M
The bottom line point I'm trying to make is that the pistol not fully returning to battery across different brands of ammo with the same shooter is more likely a deficiency of the shooter rather than an inherent mechanical flaw in the given specimen of any gun. Heck, I can make my $3,000 Wilson Combat CQB 1911 not go into battery if I shoot it enough super dirty ammo through it and don't bother to at least wipe the rails down or hit them with a shot or two of CLP.
PPS Classic
PPQ M1
PPQ M1 5"
Old 10-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #8

stevefogg .22
I tried it again today, this time with a third brand of ammo (Federal) following a thorough cleaning. Same problem. I use a Weaver stance and a firm two-handed grip and I am not a novice shooter. I finally got through to Walther tech support and the individual that I spoke with immediately said “send it back to us.” No haggling. Even quality guns like Walther can sometimes come with defects so I will give the company a chance to make it right.

Thanks very much to all of you that have responded.
stevefogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #9

Winkman822 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefogg View Post
I tried it again today, this time with a third brand of ammo (Federal) following a thorough cleaning. Same problem. I use a Weaver stance and a firm two-handed grip and I am not a novice shooter. I finally got through to Walther tech support and the individual that I spoke with immediately said “send it back to us.” No haggling. Even quality guns like Walther can sometimes come with defects so I will give the company a chance to make it right.

Thanks very much to all of you that have responded.
I'd have assumed as much of Walther customer service. The only time I've contacted them was over the summer to see about getting replacement medium sized back straps for my P99's. I contacted them through the web site, got a reply e-mail asking me to contact them by phone. I did so, and upon my telling them that I wanted to buy replacements of worn out back straps, the gentleman with whom I spoke simply asked for a shipping address and within a few days, I had the new back straps, free of charge as warranty replacements. I'm sure they'll similarly get your Q4 issues sorted out.
PPS Classic
PPQ M1
PPQ M1 5"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ