WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 12:26 AM   #31

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd View Post
I'm wondering if a matte finish could be repaired with an abrasive airbrush.
I think I would get a piece of stainless steel and practice before launching into the finish on your slide. I think your are correct though, there is no sanding method I'm familiar with that will duplicate a matt, particle blasted finish. Ask the people where you purchase your blasting media what they think might duplicate the look. M1911
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-10-2016, 12:04 AM   #32

Austin Powers .22
I actually spent the past couple of days working on my S&W PPK/S-1 and I figured that I'd share my results...
  • Emery boards work fine for flat surfaces, but are absolutely terrible and cause much more harm than good on any rounded surface such as the backstrap.
  • For the best all around results, use a 3M Scotchbright Ultra-Fine (Gray) Pad.
  • For light surface scratches, simply place the 3M Pad on the affected area and run it back and forth with the grain of the metal without applying any pressure.
  • For heavy scratches, apply pressure, but not so much that you're pressing/grinding it into the surface.
  • Every 15-20 strokes/passes, use a paper towel or cotton cloth to wipe away any debris in order to maintain visibility of the surface and prevent further scratches from forming.
  • Be methodical and check your work surface periodically to make sure you aren't overdoing it. (Some scratches come out much easier than expected.)
  • The end result of your work will most likely resemble what is commonly referred to as a "brushed" finish, but if you polish it afterwards with a light coating of lube and a microfiber cloth, you can get something a bit more glossy akin to a "satin" finish as well.
  • Surprisingly, the laser etching on S&W manufactured PPKs holds up remarkably well. Initially I feared that it would come right off, but appears to be completely unaffected by my work.

Before:

After:
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.

Last edited by Austin Powers; 12-19-2016 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added Before & After pics.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page

can light scratches come out of a stainless gun

do walther ppk380 scratch easily

fix scratch glass bead stainless

fixing a scratch on a bead blasted stainless steel surface

fixing a scratch on a stainless bead blasted walther ppk

gunsmith stainless repair scratches

how to remove scratches from bead blasted stainless pistol

removing scratches on bead blasted stainless barrel

repairing scratches in bead blasted stainless

scratches on walther ppks

walther ppk recall scratched

walther ppk s&w slide barrel scratches

Click on a term to search for related topics.