WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #11

halfmoonclip .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post

If refinished stainless is unprotected, it may tend to rust unless re-passivated, but that's a different problem.

M
Care to elaborate a bit more on this, Mike?
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #12

Scribe308 .22
The scotchbrite 7448 is light gray and they say is prefect for removing scratches on brushed stainless...
Scribe308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Pilotsteve .22
Stainless steel should re-passivate itself over time, and it doesn't take long. What must be avoided is placing contaminants into the steel when doing the refurbishing. For example, if one were to attempt to remove scratches from stainless steel with regular steel wool, some tiny particles of steel fiber "splinters" will break off the wool pad and become imbedded in the stainless (which is much softer). These particles will rust and attack the surrounding stainless of the slide or frame. The same holds true with using any other abrasive that may be contaminated with either metal debris from prior use or chemicals incompatible with stainless steel. For example, stainless is wholly incompatible with sulphuric acid or other strongly acidic compounds found in some cleaners. If you ever want to see "stainless" steel rust like mad, put a few drops of acid from an old car battery onto a scrap piece of and observe the results.

I think if you were to use Mike's method of using abrasive pads, you should be more than safe and not need fuss about harming your PPK's finish. The "grit" material is likely either calcium carbide or garnet, both of which are alkali at heart and inert to the metal of your Walther. "Passivation" is actually a form of corrosion in it's own right, only one that protects the stainless steel from further attack... chromium oxide I believe instead of iron oxide (rust). Thankfully chromium oxide is invisible and doesn't keep attacking the metal.

-Pilotsteve
halfmoonclip and ruhroh like this.
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2014, 12:14 AM   #14

HauntedMyst .22
Flitz or rouge and a buffing wheel will work wonders.
HauntedMyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #15

SgtV .22
In the vane of what MGMike stated....... I found a website of a knife/grip maker who sells very fine sanding sticks. Diamond with grits as fine as 2000 or so. Meant for removing and polishing scratches from ivory/tusk/bone grips.
When I make nuts or parts for string instruments from metals.....after all the filing is complete I use crocus cloth followed by various grades of polishing compounds with small buffing wheels.

found it...

http://www.danchinnock.com/ivory-grip-support.htm

Last edited by SgtV; 03-26-2014 at 08:36 AM.
SgtV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
EZ-Lap makes sanding sticks with diamond dust bonded to a thin steel backing plate that is mounted on a plastic stick about 6" long, 3/4" wide. They come in four grits, color-coded, from coarse to super fine. If applied very carefully they will preserve a flat surface better than the aforementioned fingernail boards because the backing is not resilient. They are useful for work on sears, sights, and other flat edges where very precise cutting or polishing is required. I used to buy a handful every year at the SHOT Show, but they can be ordered. I keep a drawer full of them.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #17
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedMyst View Post
Flitz or rouge and a buffing wheel will work wonders.
That's fine if you like that "look".

When I see a pistol that somebody has buffed on a wheel with rouge, I move on to something else that has not been so obviously messed with.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #18
Supporting Member

photohause .22
Carry it more, the scratches will go away.

What new gun my Dear, this old thing?
photohause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #19

Osage .22
Correct Answer!

You should listen to that guy, "HauntedMyst", he knows. When it comes to refinishing metal, 400grit until scratch is removed then use jewelers rouge and a buffer wheel if you want a mirror finish.

320grit or an emery board used in straight line strokes will give a brushed finsihed look to metal.

As you may be aware the brilliance and deep of the finish firearms is directly proportional to the level of polishing on the metal before the bluing process.

Osage
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:23 AM   #20

153 .22
I'm late to the party, but scratches a pistol picks up in normal use are inevitable. Lot's of folks think these give a gun "character". If the scratches are minor, leave them alone. If the pistol has been abused - take it to a professional.

Sometimes trying to correct a minor issue creates a "domino effect" and things can really go to heck from there.

Don't ask how I know this!
mpgus likes this.

"The beggar who is sitting in the marketplace is completely deaf in so much as far as listening to the song that is coming from the Mockingbird is concerned."

Bond's Walther PPK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimIUgsMQQk

Bond's Beretta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Bc...ature=youtu.be
153 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page

can light scratches come out of a stainless gun

do walther ppk380 scratch easily

fix scratch glass bead stainless

fixing a scratch on a bead blasted stainless steel surface

fixing a scratch on a stainless bead blasted walther ppk

gunsmith stainless repair scratches

how to remove scratches from bead blasted stainless pistol

removing scratches on bead blasted stainless barrel

repairing scratches in bead blasted stainless

scratches on walther ppks

walther ppk recall scratched

walther ppk s&w slide barrel scratches

Click on a term to search for related topics.